VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cant forget to my first (micro)computer. It was Sinclair ZX spectrum with rubber keyboard + kempston joystick interface.

It was day like other days. I was outside and play with my friends (I was 4 years old), my mother shouted to me come home. Somethink litlle and black was under the TV. My father sayed: look to screen it si your name flashing: milan - blik red - milan - blik green - i was confused (I didnt understand what is going on). But for a few days my father programed game (which he saw in game automat (like mame)- pacman) and computer becom my life. One of the best game taht days was Manic Miner.

You have to know it was year 1984. I am from slovakia former czecholovakia and in year 1984 it was comunist regime in our coutry. It was nearly impossible to buy somethink from "west" especialy computers.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh specy specy, now i have emulator for ZX and i have won many games which i coudlnt win before 😁

And PC i have from year 1991/2 i cant remeber.

But ZX is still my number one.

And what about you

Reply 1 of 34, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also Sinclair Spectrum 48K.Near Xtas 1984.I bought it for my sons.They played moon alert,manic miner(I don't remember more).
Few days after,one of them (they were not litlle children) told me to buy one more game,more expensive,but they were told good.
It was Mike Singleton's Lords of Midnight (IMO,the first deep game made to computer).I bought another 48K for myself.
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 2 of 34, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first computer I managed to save up money for was a 10 Mhz Turbo XT. Before that though, I may as well have owned an Apple IIe for as much time as I spent on them in school. I played Montezuma's Revenge endlessly on the Apple II. Between that and Ultima IV and V. On my Turbo XT, I played Commander Keen for hours on end (yes it worked fine). After that I played Leisure Suit Larry 1 and Space Quest 1 non stop.

Reply 3 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I did my first programming on an Commodore PET in 1979 while attending college.

My first computer was an Acorn Atom, which I bought in 1981. The display consisted of a little 14" black/white TV. Storage was provided by an ordinary cassette player.

The next one, an Amstrad CPC 464, was bought in 1984, complete with a black/green monitor and built-in casette player. I later added a 3" dual-sided diskette drive and CP/M.

Then came a Mac IIsi - Woah!!! 5 MB of RAM, a real colour monitor, a real diskette drive, separate keyboard, mouse - but not nearly as fun as my Amstrad 🙁

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My first computer was Didaktik Gama (I guess you have never heard about it - it was a copy of ZX Spectrum with better keyboard and 80 kB memory). I still have at home, a few yers ago I even transferred some programs from my old tapes to PC.
Of course now it is far more comfortable to work with ZX Spectrum emulator on PC (though even that I do very rarely). Working with tape recoder was something I have sill nightmares from.

Didaktik Gama made by one Slovac (Czechoslovac) agricultural cooperative (yes, there were strange things here during communism - one of them was that some agricultural cooperatives did also things having nothing to do with agriculture 😀 ).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 34, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahoj Mirku a skade si zo slovenska alebo z ciech. Mirek je skvor ceske???

I am so glad because I know what is didaktik, many of my friends had it when we was on elementary.

Oh but slusovice wasnt agricultural company but name the kind of company have near meaning (or these meaning are chnged) to agricultural companys.

Because every agricultural company had name DRUZSTVO but with ROLNICKE (agricultural).

But SLUSOVICE was DRUZSTVO but not agricultural.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mirek Didaktik gama have one big problem that reset buton is very small and two of my friend destroyed it. Spectrum ZX 48 doesnt have reset buton at all. 😉

Ohhhhhhhhh didaktik

The advertisment about this computer was:

Gate to the futere

haha but somthing was true about that advertisment

Reply 6 of 34, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This for you mirek

Didaktik as we know it

this is the end of the PC world:

Attachments

• gama_001.jpg
    Filename
    gama_001.jpg
    File size
    17.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 34, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@El Nostalgico: I am from the Czech Republic (middle Moravia). Didaktik was not from Slusovice but for Skalice (?) in Slovakia. I know that the company was cooperative, I think agricultural (I am not certain). Anyway Slusovice was certainly agricultural company making computers (computers were addition, you know: "pridruzena vyroba"). There were more cases like that (another cooperative reworked Atari tape recorders for Turbo etc.). It just showed absurdity of the communistic system. A lot of planning of everything, but no state company was able to make a computer for normal people (luckily the cooperatives were at least little bit better - though they sometimes abused their position - especially computers from Slusovice were ridiculously expensive).

Nice picture. I have the same. 😀 As for the reset button: be happy for it, the original ZX Spectrum had none.

Mirek

Reply 11 of 34, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Althought I had used a ZX81, I didn't own anything myself until a 16K Spectrum which was later upgraded to 48K then added DK-Tronics keyboard, then Sinclair Interface 1 with Microdrives and Interface 2 (joysticks I think that was for!) and even a ZX thermal printer 😀 Man I spent a lot of cash on that system!

After the Spectrum was sold (I became poor!) I had a couple of years without anything then got "lucky" at work (although I was made redundant I was offered my work PC for £50). This was a bargain given that it was a Compaq Deskpro 286 with EGA monitor, additional RAM and a wait for it... 20MB hard disk (was a very good deal for me!). I later traded this in to get a 486 and the company gave me £300 for it 😀

Great pic of the 'communist' Spectrum rip off 😀 Mind you, it does seem to be better built that the 'proper' one 😉

Reply 12 of 34, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
El nostalgico wrote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mirek Didaktik gama have one big problem that reset buton is very small and two of my friend destroyed it. Spectrum ZX 48 doesnt have reset buton at all. 😉

Speaking of reset buttons (and pictures) - here's a picture of the Acorn Atom I mentioned:

acornatomandtheresetbutton8bz.jpg

The reset button was just a normal key at the top-right corner on the keyboard. Guess how easy it was to hit that instead of the DELETE-button!!! 😵 Fortunately, it was quite easy to recover from the reset, since all it did was to reset the hardware and clear the first 2 bytes of the BASIC program. All you had to do was to do the equivalent of POKE'ing those two bytes with something like a line number(?), and the BASIC interpreter would pick it up from there.

I also loved the title of the manual that came with it:

atap_front.jpg

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 34, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first computer was the Commodore 64 which I messed around on and my dad coded some games for me way back in the mid 80s. Then we got a 386 SX/DX 33mHz with a Turbo Speed Button.
I used to play all the fun games like Ultima, Battletech, Mail Order Monsters, and etc on that C64 with 16 COLORS! I still use the Color monitor as a TV screen. These things last. 🤣.

/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 14 of 34, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, I once hooked up a playstation to my c64 monitor at a friends house and he was awestruck because all the motion seemed so much more fluid than his tv.

Speaking of battletech, I've always wished megamek had a mode that would clone the style of combat The Crescent Hawks Inception had.

Reply 16 of 34, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BBC Micro computer with external ROM holder which my uncle soldered in for me! I remember how chuffed I was when we managed to get Elite to run!

Reply 17 of 34, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My First one was a

Amstrad 512 Schneider PC
5 1/2 " Disk
0 MB HDD (yes i mean NO HDD)
-but with a graphic card that could display 16 colours,

...too bad i had only a B/W Monitor but it was 15" 😀 😀 😀

I Bought it for about 200 Deutsch Mark in the Year '88 - it was my first
Computer ever - beside a Calculator 🤣 It was second-hand but i used it
for nearly 6 years, till i bought my "real" pc with RAM & HDD

Reply 18 of 34, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMSTRAD PC2086 with VGA graphics (Paradise VGA - up to 640x400x8) - but crappy 12" monitor. Two 1.44MB floppy drives and one 360/1200KB one.
A mighty 8086 8Mhz processor. Costed about 300€ back in 1988.

Reply 19 of 34, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow : i had a 8086 pc too - i think i had 8 Mhz 😀 - but i dont know anymore its hard to believe that today a "normal" pc has 2 GHZ !