VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Vogons Admins,

So recently forgot my password, went thru the password reset routine. The temporary password assigned via email was 235 characters long! Honestly I thought it was a glitch. I've never seen online banking, credit card, corporate accounts use anything more than 16 characters. But sure enough I pasted the 235 character string into the password box, got access to my account and was able to change to a more memorable password. I didnt do it multiple times, its probably a random sized string between 13-255 characters and I just happened to get one of the larger outcomes. Either way, I'm impressed.

Also imagine the pain if someone was in a situation were they couldn't copy / paste that string. 😀

Thanks,
BinaryDemon

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 1 of 2, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's fine.

A funny story. Back in the early days of WiFi, people were saying that even with WPA2, short passphrases are "not secure enough", and recommended a randomly generated passcode of at least 64 characters. "How am I supposed to type this bullsh!t every time?" - people asked. "D'uh! You're not supposed to! You just put it in a file on a flash drive and copy&paste on every machine!"

This all worked nice and well, while computers were the only devices on your WiFi. Now that every household has 10+ mobile phones / tablets, SmartTVs, security cameras, robotic vaccum cleaners, and what not - each with its own quirky interface of inputting passwords... good luck using the "file on a flash drive" approach there.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 2, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an interesting approach. Longer strings are harder to brute force, but there are other ways to prevent that and you don't need more than about 11 characters anyway. I guess you can't be too careful 😁.