VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When copying lots of files to a FAT32 formatted USB flash memory pnedrive stick you can arrange them from smallest to largest and start copying.
Once it starts to slow down you can just stop copying, create a folder inside and another one inside the new folder and continue copying to the deepest folder till it slows down again. Now you can create folders again and copy again. And repeat until all is done.

I read that on Linux and Mac OS you don't have to use such tricks when copying to a FAT32 pendrive.

Last edited by robertmo on 2021-04-16, 02:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Thank's for the tip! 😀 👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well.. 0.04 MiB/s (0.37 files/s)

If there was a program that used my trick.
For example copy to a new folder every 5 seconds and than move them to one folder at the end.
Copying would be almost instant.

Reply 6 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if this was done under dos, I'd suggest running smartdrv 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An alternative solution would be to get a cheap but decent SSD and use a USB adapter. It's incredible how much faster a real SSD is compared to a flash drive or hard drive, even over USB. A lot of that speed improvement comes from the transfer of small files.

A pile of used low capacity SSDs can often be had very cheaply. If you go with mSATA or m.2 drives you can get really small adapters that are closer to flash drive size.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.