VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey folks,

Found myself doing "the thing" here again today, and thought, you know what, I bet my good buddies at Vogons might like a tip like this. You've got a nice smooth desk surface and you have older hardware, like a keyboard or laptop that's got it's rubber feet all shined up and hard and it's moving all over the place. What's a person to do? Just grab the handy dandy generic shelf liner from your local dollar store, this kinda crap... https://www.dollartree.com/non-slip-gray-grip … in-rolls/307358 and cut a piece with scissors to make a CUSTOM (woo woo) non slip mat for your slippy crap.

But wait there's more...

Goes good under USB floppies and external optical drives too to prevent having to chase them all round the desk to get a disk in. Possibly might work for some kinds of joysticks if you're light with them, myself, I don't think anything short of screwing it down would keep them still for me, the suction cups don't. Though I might make a note to try it with an original wingman, which you use with one hand on the base anyway.... when I remember where that is.

Handy also for having a charging/syncing mat for your phones, tablets, cameras etc, so minor brushes or snags of the cable, or just moving your mouse wrong, doesn't send them skittering like a hockey puck.

Even modern kit with fresh feet, it can sometimes do a better job on lap desks etc, when you wanna recline at an angle and the machine don't wanna stay put.

Anyway, hope it helps someone out, I find it pretty durned useful.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 1, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good tip. I personally like the mauve stuff. Flogged it from wifeys workshop:

Attachments

• 20210607_153115.jpg
    Filename
    20210607_153115.jpg
    File size
    602.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉