VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 200 of 316, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-26, 05:26:

Aww, so LGA1366 platform is out of the window and probably some or all AM3+. Probably early Sandy Bridge platform too?

Core i7-4810MQ is Haswell and does not seem to be allowed to work , so not looking good for anything older .

Reply 201 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-26, 02:36:
At work locations, the users absolutely should not be given the choice of whether they update or not. […]
Show full quote

At work locations, the users absolutely should not be given the choice of whether they update or not.

As for home users.... have you ever heard of botnets or viruses or other malware? What about cryptoware?

I agree that people should be educated about this... but who is going to educate them? Not like most people are going to take the time or even know that they need to know about these types of things until it is too late.

Maybe Microsoft can host free, public, mandatory classes for everybody on the whole planet. How would that work out?

Maybe people should not be allowed to own a computer before they have passed a class that teaches them such things. How exactly would that work out?

The best way currently to help protect these people is to make sure that their computers are required to update automatically when online.
If you think there is a better way then please tell me.

As for cookies, they aren't necessarily bad. They do help the companies know what parts of their sites are being used and what is not being used and how they are being used.
As a company, they have the right to choose how to run their company and what policies they require the users of their site to follow.

I have to disagree. I strongly defend that it should be 100% the user's choice. I understand it when its a computer owned by a company, one must comply with the company's policy on how to use it, because it's not his computer. It's up to him to accept that policy or not. Fortunately I am not in that situation and as an independent UI/UX Designer, I can work on my own mac, therefore my own rules.

But for home/personal users, it's a big, fat NO-NO. It's their choice, end period. It's the right thing to do. There are users of different skills, not every computer user is dumb enough to "click where he shouldn't on a website", therefore choice must be given, they should assess the risks of each choice by themselves. I want to be able to choose not to be tracked, when to update, and not to have my personal data collected for their big fat database to sell it to companies for ads or [ironic]for an election[/ironic]. And Windows 10 fails to give that choice to me. If it's enforced in future releases, then I will use my power of choice and choose not to use that operating system.

[off-topic]
As for the cookies, sorry, but when they says it will track my activities while using Skype, its another big, fat, NO-NO. I do not want to be tracked, period. So, again with the power of choice, I choose not to use their software, and I will use something else.

Cookies are bad, they should not be enforced, they should be an user choice. Even the "essential cookies" are bad. They are one of the worst things ever invented for the www in the last 20 years. But this is something for another thread, here we are talking about Windows 11.
[/off-topic]

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 203 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-26, 06:25:

People don't do updates at all. I'm glad that Windows Updates deals with it by itself. I don't want botnets everywhere...

Wrong!! Did I mention I hate generalizations?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 204 of 316, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-sys … em-requirements the minimum reqs are for OEMs
"These minimum specs will be required by OEMs to hit on any hardware they intend to ship with Windows 11."
"Microsoft is also requiring UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM 2.0 support for Windows 11. If your PC doesn't have any of these, Microsoft doesn't guarantee that Windows 11 will run correctly"

So I'd expect them to allow installing on hardware without secure boot/tpm, it just won't be the recommended hardware. I can't believe they'll neglect millions of computers just like that.

Reply 205 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-22, 13:24:

XP = Fisher Price. Good riddance. It was supported for far too long.

Most of the clued up users used the classic theme.....😉

My little bro still uses XP for his business. He told his IT guy to get rid of MickySoft Windows 10. Just because software is old it stiff does what it was intended to do when it was released 😉.

Reply 207 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2021-06-26, 07:16:
According to https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-sys … em-requirements the minimum reqs are for OEMs "These minimum specs […]
Show full quote

According to https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-sys … em-requirements the minimum reqs are for OEMs
"These minimum specs will be required by OEMs to hit on any hardware they intend to ship with Windows 11."
"Microsoft is also requiring UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM 2.0 support for Windows 11. If your PC doesn't have any of these, Microsoft doesn't guarantee that Windows 11 will run correctly"

So I'd expect them to allow installing on hardware without secure boot/tpm, it just won't be the recommended hardware. I can't believe they'll neglect millions of computers just like that.

Tried out with Ryzen 5 1600, which is unsupported and firmware TPM. It still installs on my PC without the tweaks, while even the PC Health Checker says it doesn't support my CPU.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 208 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-26, 09:32:

I hope his IT guy laughed him out of the room.
Using XP today is a security nightmare.

For internet related stuff my bro uses his cell phone so that is not an issue at all... 😀

Believe it or not some IT folk actually listen to their customers.. 😀

Reply 210 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.ido wrote on 2021-06-26, 11:35:

It installed on a Xeon W3550 (1366) in a VM - so at least for now the higher requirements are not enforced.

Worked for me in a VM without even enabling fTPM. You could try in real hardware, it should stop you at the New Installation or Upgrade screen if it is really unsupported.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 212 of 316, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.ido wrote on 2021-06-26, 11:35:

It installed on a Xeon W3550 (1366) in a VM - so at least for now the higher requirements are not enforced.

Supposedly the tpm requirement doesn't apply to vms. Makes you wonder if a bios (UEFI) mod would be another workaround but mabye not if Secure Boot is required?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-06-26, 13:41. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 214 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When my wife, who is tech savvy, uses her MickySoft Windows 10 laptop she has a tendency to swear at it a lot...😉

Reply 216 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:26:

If it's XP, I'd swear like a sailor too.

I had absolutely no issues with XP Home or Pro at all the time I was using it. You see I installed the software equivalent of a condom on it. As well as being behind a descent hardware firewall.

Reply 217 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:23:

When my wife, who is tech savvy, uses her MickySoft Windows 10 laptop she has a tendency to swear at it a lot...😉

Hah... Why? There isn't really anything wrong with Windows 10 as far as usability goes.

I really don't like the settings app, but other than that it is fine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 218 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only time I swear at XP is when I see the fisher price theme after install. Then I change back to classic and it’s useable.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 219 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-26, 16:00:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:23:

Hah... Why? There isn't really anything wrong with Windows 10 as far as usability goes.

I really don't like the settings app, but other than that it is fine.

You'll have to talk to my wife.