VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 221 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2021-06-26, 17:24:

Looks like different Depts at MickySoft never talk to each other.

But Windows 11 does have exciting features such as curved corners on windows and believe it or not a brand new start up sound.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 222 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 18:00:

But Windows 11 does have exciting features such as curved corners on windows and believe it or not a brand new start up sound.

There are many new features, like this probably just scratches the surface, and as usual, there will be many new capabilities and improvements at the kernel level.

However, people who are stuck in the 20th century will roll their eyes and dismiss them all as "I don't need any of this, just give me back my Win95 start menu layout. Oh, you can't? Garbage!". Seen it time and time again. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 223 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Skipped Windows 95 completely at home.

A MickySoft OS need a few service packs going by previous releases.

Reply 224 of 316, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought the windows 95 upgrade !
so I could buy USR sportster 28k8 for 25€ :-p

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 225 of 316, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-06-26, 18:15:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 18:00:

There are many new features, like this probably just scratches the surface, and as usual, there will be many new capabilities and improvements at the kernel level.

However, people who are stuck in the 20th century will roll their eyes and dismiss them all as "I don't need any of this, just give me back my Win95 start menu layout. Oh, you can't? Garbage!". Seen it time and time again. 😀

People using Windows 10 on 5-6 year old or newer (Windows 11 unsupported) hardware are not living in the 20th century. Assuming Windows 11 is a success (whatever the metric for that may be), it will obviously be developped both further and for a longer time than Windows 10, that is a given (EDIT: how much longer after Windows 10 EOL is undisclosed, AFAIK).

Also, IMHO, if one does not immediately have a use for or see the value in what Windows 11 brings to the table now in terms of features, it does not mean he or she is living in the past either .

In the meantime, as I have mentioned before, Windows 11's most enticing feature is its apparently unannounced (please correct me if wrong) but likely more distant than Windows 10 EOL, IMHO . Then again, maybe Microsoft will support Windows for 4 years and then launch Windows 12 while requiring 2 year-old or newer hardware . Then again, they might announce one thing and then change their mind about it publicly multiple times, as the have shown themselves capable of . Also, if Microsoft expects someone to buy a new machine to get Windows 11, they should have the curteousy of disclosing end of support dates ASAP for Windows 11 . If Windows 12 follows the same model as Windows 11 on hardware deprecation, I doubt many people would be very happy if it turns out that Windows 11 will have less than a 10 year support life (anybody know more about that?).

Microsoft definitely has a lot of clout due to the huge Windows installed base, but they are taking a huge gamble with this extra-restrictive approach to older hardware without actually offering much in exchange feature-wise and the FUD they are generating is, while being comical and looking idiotic, not helping them to be taken seriously and be successful, IMHO .

At the end of day, I believe that Microsoft is trying to flex its muscles to impose its model at a speed it has chosen and they fully expect most of the Windows install base to follow . How well they will succeed in that remains to be seen. Maybe this move will be extremely successful, though I have doubts but no crystal ball . No one is too big to fail if they try hard enough, IMHO .

Reply 227 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple is often criticized by its planned obsolescence.

I see that move with Windows 11 as an intention from Microsoft to do the same thing in the next years...

Let's see what the critics will say about.

EDIT: Yes, it's Vista all over again. And we all know how it ended for Vista: a complete fiasco.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 228 of 316, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-26, 21:03:

It's Vista all over again, with DirectX 10 exclusivity. GPU direct access to NVME SSD is promised only on Win11 .

At least with Vista, the incentive for new hardware was performance . With Windows 11 that does not hold anymore, so excuses to force HW upgrades had to be found . I think that's actually worse than Vista .

Reply 229 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with Vista is that MS put the required specifications too low and OEMs sold a ton of systems that would barely run it.

That and a bunch of the HW manufacturers didn't bother to have drivers ready for the release of Vista.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 232 of 316, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-27, 00:08:

In other words, Windows 10 support will not be dropped after 2025, but extended further, just like it was with Windows 7.

Unless Microsoft changes its "mind" (no comment) about Windows 11 requirements once again, I too believe that to be quite likely .

Reply 233 of 316, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-06-27, 00:45:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-27, 00:08:

In other words, Windows 10 support will not be dropped after 2025, but extended further, just like it was with Windows 7.

Unless Microsoft changes its "mind" (no comment) about Windows 11 requirements once again, I too believe that to be quite likely .

All in all, does this even matter anymore ? - I mean, Windows 10 had older builds that became EOL, as well. 😀
Considering that, at least currently, Windows 11 is nothing more than a rebranded Windows 10 with a few newer system files (new WDDM, some new functions)..:
Couldn't it be the case that Microsoft's intention is to silently replace Windows 10 by Windows 11 by providing an upgrade free of charge (again) ?

To me, this wouldn't be a big deal (esp. because I use Windows in cages aka VMs). Windows 8.1 was the same, I think.
It required CMPXCHG16b support, which a lot Windows 8.0 PCs with Athlon 64 CPUs didn't feature,
thus bricking them without a warning through the forced upgrade back then.

Also, Windows 10 is worth nothing*, so no loss. It's a rented piece of software, after all. If not updated, it's supposed to stop working after a while. Like Flash player.
And all these whacky, shady software products that require Windows 10 as a minimum will likely run on that evenly silly Windows 11, too.

*In fact, a few years ago. I read that in some forums users claimed that "free" was still too expensive and that they would gladly pay for a real, proper OS.
Hopefully Windows 11 does do the trick. After roughly ten years (Windows 8 included) of suffering on the Windows desktop, it's time for a proper Windows again. IMHO. 😉

Edit: There are evidences for Windows 11 supporting TPM 1.2 modules silently, which are exenternal ICs.
They can be interfaced via LPC bus, I2C and SPI, or so I heard. Depending on BIOS support, you guys might be able to retrofit (pun intended) your retro PCs with TPMs. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 236 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2021-06-27, 05:03:
36 threads i9-7980XE is a no go but you may reconsider upgrading to a 2 threads Celeron G4900 that's gonna run with all its be […]
Show full quote

36 threads i9-7980XE is a no go
but you may reconsider upgrading to a
2 threads Celeron G4900
that's gonna run with all its bells and whistles 🤣

You mean it can't run youtube videos like this 32-bit 3.2GHz P4 does? 😉

Reply 238 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can only handle one apple at a time......😉