VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like lots of people I am working from home (still) and have been for a year. This means lots of time to look at my (moderate) pile of computers, think of builds, plan builds and build builds.

I’ve also got a range of cases, motherboard, monitor inputs and games, so I've got lots of flexibility in what I build. This sounds good but ends up as a problem as I tend to like being able to play anything at any one time, so if I change one build I have to change another.

So if I want a DOS build, in my oldest case that will sit under my desk like normal, I need to build a more modern ITX build that would sit on my desk to compliment it in case playing the Secret of Monkey Island gives me urges to play Battlefield 2. But if I then think I'll set up my M-ATX Slot 1 PC on top of my desk with my AWE32 that means I don't really need my DOS PC so I build a 1155 Win 7 PC under my desk instead...

Basically, I end up constantly swapping PCs and power supplies around between my ATX, M-ATX and ITX cases to the point where a build will last perhaps 48 hours before I get bored and swap it and swap two builds at once. As a result my ‘office’ usually has PC parts left lying around on the side and window sill and desk knowing that it will be used in a few hours for another PC! It leaves my 'office' looking like this...

TuwT6fRh.jpg

I spend probably 10 times as much time building PCs, setting up Windows, downloading games and updates than I do actually playing games. I must download getting on for a terabyte a week in games like GTA V, RDR2, the later Assassins Creed games which get downloaded probably twice a week at least across the various more powerful systems I build to compliment the slower ones! I feel like this is either a cause or symptom of poor mental health and regardless it’s driving me nuts, so I made a decision to A) stick most of my parts on eBay so I have less choice and B) challenge myself to make a “retro” PC that I have to use for two weeks. And to make it more interesting, it’s my only PC I can use for two weeks.

A couple of caveats: I have a work laptop that I use for work. If I am buying something online I’ll use my phone. I will manage my eBay sales on both this PC and my phone.

So I asked my computer-indifferent fiancé to pick a motherboard that I would use as the base of my two week system, my eyes lingering hopefully on a Core 2 Quad system. But no, she chose this:

CZGsZnGh.jpg?1

It’s a pretty basic and nasty Socket 939 board with an nforce4 630 chipset, but it at least has a PCI-E slot.

I pillaged whatever DDR1 RAM I could find from my other motherboards and cobbled together 3GB. That should be fine for the sort of games that PC will play.

One of the things I like about 939 is that I can use modern CPU coolers, so I grabbed my “standard retro cooler” which is a budget tower cooler thing. Should keep it cool.

The board is usually used with a single core 3500+ Venice CPU, but I’d definitely like a dual core if I will be using this day to day. S939 dual cores are not very common on eBay (read: expensive for what they are) but luckily an auction was live for a x2 4200+ so I snagged that for £21. it came together looking alright.

RtlBZtmh.jpg

I will use my trusty Audigy 2 ZS for sound duties. The graphics card I chose is my X1950 XT(X?), because… I like it. It has a unique sound (whilst still being quiet and able to idle on the desktop rather than be at full fan speed all the time), looks interesting, is a blower design card, and will be fast enough for my build.

TlFUPYah.jpg

I stuck all this in my modern case, which has an 850GB SSD still installed from my last "how fast can I make this i5 3570k go" build, so I'll use that. I hooked up my standard 1080p monitor and retained my Create T40 speakers.

2DTecyzh.jpg

So now I’ve got Windows XP set up, drivers installed, a few key programs like Opera, Spotify and Office 2000 installed. I overclocked the CPU to 2.6GHz from its 2.2GHz.

I’m sure some of you will come out the woodwork to tell me you still use a freakin’ abacus to do your daily computing so I should be just fine with a PC like this, but I am used to a 3700X and playing games like, well, the ones I seem to re-download every couple of days. And that's not really the point, it's more to stick to using it for two weeks and being able to leave my office space tidy without having PC parts lying around everywhere (which is why this is in Milliways).

Lets see how long it lasts! I'll try to play through Far Cry on this, and maybe GTA Vice City.

b9bBeCQh.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also suffer from wanting to play a game at a moments notice. As such I've 10 PC's setup permanently next to my desk hooked upto 3 KVM's.
And that was after I culled 4 that no longer switch on. (failed Dallas chip, needs recap, corrupt BIOS, god knows)

Problem is if you actually like the hardware. I've 3 486's (down to 2 ATM) truth is I don't need any of them game wise.
but 1 is my childhood VLB DX2/66, one is a PCI based 5x86 and other is VLB POD so hardware wise each offers something special.
yet all my dos games run just fine on a Slot 1 rig with an ISA card.

And now I'm planning builds around the "lesser 3D accelerators" like S3D , Matrox MSI which are very niche and doubt will be used often at all, but that's not the point. I can if I want.
I see no harm in PC's sitting setup in the corner months on end not been used. Doubt the wife would agree but it keeps me out of trouble.

I know 1/2 of this is because I like the process more then the end result. so on that side at least you get to scratch that itch more then me.
Good luck with keeping it for a week, Funny enough my XP rig is the least tampered with one. S775 with GTX570, Sb X-Fi. It just does everything I ask of it without any fuss. Lack of any real competition makes things simple. (D3D and EAX been the only thing needing to be covered)

Reply 3 of 6, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been there, done that. I remember back in the 2000's when I Started with all this I had as many as 32 computers at my mom's house - everything from 8088-PIII , Macintoshes both Power and 68K, a Coco, a Commodore, and a TI-99/4a. And far less of a clue as to how to get the most out of them than I do now. Right before I moved I made a nice sum on E-bay even as cheap as those were going for selling all those machines after fixing them up. I'm talking like....$40-50 a machine at most.

A lot of my quest in the last year has been LESS machines - that's why I've been running through NEC Versa models like water....trying to find the best one(s). Right now I'm having a epic battle between the P/75 and M/75. The M/75 and P/75 are so close in performance because the P/75 is bus "castrated" - so it's down to sound vs. build quality. The M/75 seems to be the most robust of the series but has WSS and no OPL, the P/75 has ESS688 with OPL3 but is almost as crumbly as the early models. I might end up reskinning the P/75 in white marble contact paper and giving it to my wife after some structural improvements.

I'm thinking about selling some systems I have off this year/next year and maybe instead moving to having just a couple vintage machines - one for 8088 era stuff, and then my M/75 for the later DOS/Win3x/Win9x stuff. Honestly, if I had to pick 3 to keep right now without any time to think, it'd be the Versa M/75, 486-DX4 Desktop, and the Tandy 1000A. I tend to run most of my later Windows games in Linux using Wine/VirtualBOX VMs - esp since things like Robot Arena 2 and The Sims end up with me putting massive Gigabytes of add-ons on to a level most people would consider excessive.

But I'm also toying with getting into buying all the broken laptops nobody wants on E-bay and elsewhere and fixing those up to flip as working "Turnkey" systems for retro-gamers, and keeping my prices reasonable. I'm talking those $15-40 286/386/486/Pentium machines that won't power on, have no charger, cracked screens, have damaged plastic - all stuff I can fix/restomod, much of which I've experimented with on my NEC Versa laptops with a lot of success. I'm also getting into the nitty gritty of making them self-powered off batteries ranging from rebuilding the originals to putting in a BMC and some modern lithium cells.

Basically, fix em, make a youtube of the repairs, and then flip them to fund the next one is the idea. I'm really digging the whole "retro Laptop" thing as of late because it's nice to not need to be in my "lab" every day I want to play some old DOS game or experiment with an O/S or whatever. Not a plan to get rich of course, just a way to self-perpetuate my work when I'm bored of running the thing and want to putz with hardware, and maybe increase the pool of old working laptops out there for those who want to start messing with old hardware. Also, my unsold stock would fit on a bookshelf at worst instead of an entire closet.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the tactile feel of hardware went making systems up, fixing then, making brackets to fit an lcd from one manufacturer to another manufacturers laptop. My recent fdd plastic door repair is an example of how for I go.

As mentioned above I prefer the journey more then the final destination. Same goes for when I'm riding my motorcycles.

I use just have pre 1995 x86 stuff and Acorn Risc systems(no kiddies risc systems aren't a new thing at all. ARM orignially stood for Acorn Risc Machine) But folk have throwing 2004-onwards x86 systems left right and center these days.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 6, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This hasn't gone well. I decided I would move to Windows 7 so that the web was more usable. I didn't change hardware or move the PC around or anything. I spend more time browsing and 'faffing' than gaming so it probably would be the better OS.

However it crashes when trying to do any updates. I swapped RAM and done memtest86, swapped the SSD for a HDD, removed the overclock... It crashes in the exact same spot but in theory Windows Update isn't doing anything, it is just starting to download updates at that point (not install them). I can't be arsed to go through 168 updates and manually work out if (only) one of them is causing it.

So I'm back to XP but need to start again with installing everything. I think my two weeks has reset as I used my main PC all day yesterday!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah that's one thing I don't do.
I don't use my Win7 gaming PC to surf the web. Steam is the only thing that connects to the outside world.
Not that I 've blocked anything. So Windows updates, AV, and whatever else probably does phone home from time to time.
But I leave surfing to my laptops trying to keep the gaming rig nice and clean.

Windows updates is broken of you don't install a couple of hotfixes, I can't remember which. I cheated and used Wsus offline to download the updates and now have stored for future builds shout the updates ever disappear forever
https://download.wsusoffline.net

V11.9 is the last version to support Win7
I also grabbed the XP files not that I actually bother updating XP anymore but you never know. I think 9.22 was the last version with support.