VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about a P200mmx showing it can access the modern internet.

Now that is REAL POWER right there...😉

Attachments

• 20210629_092141.jpg
    Filename
    20210629_092141.jpg
    File size
    667.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20210629_104128.jpg
    Filename
    20210629_104128.jpg
    File size
    626.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20210629_111247.jpg
    Filename
    20210629_111247.jpg
    File size
    739.15 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:14:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:08:

What distro is that?

Devuan Jessie. sysvinit version of Debian Jessie so no systemd. Went archive status last year. Of course Firefox chugs along but Dillo is quite spritely. Unfortunately you can't logon to vogons with Dillo.

I'd say anything 400mhz system up would run Devuans newest 32-bit release which is BeoWolf just fine and dandy...😉 https://www.devuan.org/.

Reply 23 of 34, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:22:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:08:

What distro is that?

Devuan Jessie. sysvinit version of Debian Jessie so no systemd. Went archive status last year. Of course Firefox chugs along but Dillo is quite spritely. Unfortunately you can't logon to vogons with Dillo.

I'd say anything 400mhz system up would run Devuans newest 32-bit release which is BeoWolf just fine and dandy...😉 https://www.devuan.org/.

Thanks for the tip. There are very few i586 compatible distros anymore.

Reply 24 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:32:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-05, 18:22:

What distro is that?

Thanks for the tip. There are very few i586 compatible distros anymore.

You are welcome.

The P200mmx was my first foray into Linux. Never even heard of it until around 1999. Started with 64megs of ram the went 128megs. It's got 256megs now and increased the vram to 4megs and has a 20gig Seagate hdd. Red Hat 7.3 was the distro I used back then. Learnt a hell of a lot but it toke me around three years to switch from MickySoft Windows to using Linux full time. I've settle on Linux Mint Debian edition for the majority of systems 32-bit and 64-bit. And muck around with distros very ocassionally. Such as BunsenLabs Litiun which is a continuation of the old #!(CrucnBang) distro which I had running on my Acer F1 system for five yrears or so. And yes I could run BoobTube videos no problem at all.

This " modern Linux cannot be run on old systems " and "Xwindows is slow" mantra is bullshit. As is the "Linux and Xwindows" needs mega gigabytes to run". Debian Jessie runs well on the HP P200mmx and boots to the desktop in around three minutes. That is faster than my original Red Hat 7.3 installation. I still have that running 4gig hdd and fire it up every now and again to see if it is still functional.

Reply 25 of 34, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upon further reflection, I can't help but think of Windows 95 and the world wide web (with the Pentium and ATX standards developing on the hardware side) as being the turning point between the previous and current "overall styles" of computing.

Before, PC was a minority niche with a steeper learning curve, and everything having to be done manually starting from the DOS prompt. After, it was a whole new world - GUI based, connected to the world, designed for average people to use, a greater % spend on the marketing and prettification sides, and variations on Moore's Law accelerating hardware evolution almost beyond recognition.

This is partly an acknowledgement that PC eras may not be truly defined by hardware era alone, because other concurrent factors played equivalent parts too. Intel and Microsoft, among others, spent a LOT of time and effort working together to craft 'the next gen computing experience', and doubtless still do.

Reply 26 of 34, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-07-05, 19:54:

Upon further reflection, I can't help but think of Windows 95 and the world wide web (with the Pentium and ATX standards developing on the hardware side) as being the turning point between the previous and current "overall styles" of computing.

Before, PC was a minority niche with a steeper learning curve, and everything having to be done manually starting from the DOS prompt. After, it was a whole new world - GUI based, connected to the world, designed for average people to use, a greater % spend on the marketing and prettification sides, and variations on Moore's Law accelerating hardware evolution almost beyond recognition.

This is partly an acknowledgement that PC eras may not be truly defined by hardware era alone, because other concurrent factors played equivalent parts too. Intel and Microsoft, among others, spent a LOT of time and effort working together to craft 'the next gen computing experience', and doubtless still do.

Agreed. Which further reinforces my 97 cutoff. I feel like if 95 and Pentium is to be shown off, it should be shown off at it's peak.

Another thought I had, instead of tons of machines I could make several of those "multi-api monsters" that have been made on here in the past. Cramming as many cards into an AT/ATX case as humanly possible and switching Windows hardware profiles at command prompt. I mean yeah, they're hard builds but I think the work is worth it for a display in a museum with limited room.

Reply 27 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prior to 1995-96 there was a lot going on. Novell Netware dominated the network scene for a while. First decent MS gui. MS V IBM re OS/2 v Windows, MS Dos v DRDos, release of IBMs PC Dos for consumer consumption and quite a lot more. IBM switch back to more generic x86 systems. NeXT system and what was eventually to become Mac OS Ten.. Linux was born and eventually ran steamrollered proprietary *nix and became the backbone of the internet. It was an exciting time and I am glad I got to go through it.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-05, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 34, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-05, 20:10:

Prior to 1995-96 there was a lot going on. Novell Netware dominated the network scene for a while. First decent MS gui. MS V IBM re OS/2 v Windows, MS Dos v DRDos, release of IBMs PC Dos for consumer consumption and quite a lot more. Linux was born and eventually ran steamrollered proprietary *nix and became the backbone of the internet. It was an exciting time and I am glad I got to go through it.

Heck yes! I really REALLY want to make an OS/2 machine for them too. He doesn't have one yet, yet he has a NeXT Cube and Sun Micro machines, including the rare Sun laptop.

Reply 29 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS Windows 1 was released. Ooops I mean 3..😉 The GREAT DEBATE between a professor and his student regarding micro v monolithic *nix kernels https://armantutorial.wordpress.com/2015/02/2 … orvalds-debate/

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-05, 21:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 34, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1976 CASI Apollo VP2 S100 bus
computer portrait system with its glorious digital B&W CCD camera, z80 powered “keyboard”, vhs body overlays, xtra Wide Carriage ASCII photos printed on a Centronics printer

Reply 31 of 34, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think these computers really changed the game in the PC industry.

1) 386 computer with DOS
2) 486 computer with Windows 3x ( With CDROMS and Sound cards, Started the Multimedia computer industry )
2b) 1993 - IBM PS/1 ( model #2155 ) The first Affordable IBM Multimedia internet computer for home users.
3) 1st gen. Pentium ( 75mhz ) running Win-95 Started the internet boom and made home computers affordable and available for most home users.
4) 1st gen Pentium ( 100mhz ) running Win NT 4.0 just Destroyed the entire Computer Industry back in 1995
5) I like this computer because its Unique 486DX-50 MHz EISA system
6) the Pentium CPU was a game changer the Decimated the entire computer industry.

On the Mac Side.
1) 1993 Mac color classic. ( At $1099, the first Affordable computer with color display )
2) 1994 Mac Performa 575. ( First affordable multimedia Mac with color display )

Reply 32 of 34, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-07-07, 14:29:
I think these computers really changed the game in the PC industry. […]
Show full quote

1) 386 computer with DOS
2) 486 computer with Windows 3x ( With CDROMS and Sound cards, Started the Multimedia computer industry )
2b) 1993 - IBM PS/1 ( model #2155 ) The first Affordable IBM Multimedia internet computer for home users.
3) 1st gen. Pentium ( 75mhz ) running Win-95 Started the internet boom and made home computers affordable and available for most home users.
4) 1st gen Pentium ( 100mhz ) running Win NT 4.0 just Destroyed the entire Computer Industry back in 1995
6) the Pentium CPU was a game changer the Decimated the entire computer industry.

On the Mac Side.
1) 1993 Mac color classic. ( At $1099, the first Affordable computer with color display )
2) 1994 Mac Performa 575. ( First affordable multimedia Mac with color display )

All great suggestions, but I'm pretty sure he already has a few of these. I can't change the title, so I guess I should rephrase my question.

What do you think belongs in a museum AFTER 95'?

Reply 33 of 34, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rishooty wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:23:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-07-07, 14:29:
I think these computers really changed the game in the PC industry. […]
Show full quote

1) 386 computer with DOS

On the Mac Side.

All great suggestions, but I'm pretty sure he already has a few of these. I can't change the title, so I guess I should rephrase my question.

What do you think belongs in a museum AFTER 95'?

Those that had great promise but are no longer around.

Digital Dec Alpha
SGI Indigo
Sun Microsystems Sparc 5
IBM PS/1 #2155 Multi media edition
HP 9000 PA-RISC
Next computer company

Reply 34 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digital Research needs a representation. CP/M and variants were around quite a while, multi-platform and was the inspiration for Dos. As were *nix.