VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was given a old Pixel 2 phone with cellular issues but works on wifi and tested the rear camera features and does works well and does really good but no memory card supported. Slow-motion at 240fps on macro works very well for catching fast motion like filming the watch movement running. That macro at 240fps with my samsung S8 does not work properly but I don't want to take away my main phone as I need it with me all the time so need another camera for home use.

And the newest camera I have is Panasonic but bit more than 12 years old now, and is hard to capture sharp pictures without shake and reason is that camera is kept at my work so I can't take it away as I use it for documenting unusual issues for evidence to show customers what we found during diagnosis and repair of phones and game consoles.

What I need for my home use:
What I would like are features: large lens for catching faint light and for vivid, clear photos and no noise in the picture in dim light that I see often with old cameras pre 2010, 240fps and OIS. Quick picture taking would be nice so I don't have to hold the camera still for a second or more.

5 years old for point and shoot would be good enough and for 10 years old, frame with detachable lens?

Cost can be anywhere from 70 to 150 USD dollars.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2021-07-11, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 2, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a Genius G-shot P210 2.1 mega-pixel and I find it great for most things except for real close up detailed pics. It's been through a lot. Still have the booket for it which is in great shape.

Attachments

• 20130107_110446.jpg
    Filename
    20130107_110446.jpg
    File size
    700.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 2, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-07-11, 01:58:

5 years old for point and shoot would be good enough and for 10 years old, frame with detachable lens?

Suggestions?

If you're after suggestions for cameras good in low light ad close up... there's plenty out there, depends what you want to spend.

For macro photography (ie close-up to most of us, though macro technically tends to mean 1:1 image to object ratio) a small sensor is often better and point and shoots from around 2012 onwards are often pretty good. But higher resolution is useful so you can zoom in (aka "crop the picture"); and bigger pixels/photosites mean less noise, as do more recent sensors. And you get more depth of field with a smaller sensor - more of a given picture ill be in focus as you'll be using a smaller focal length lens. And that depth of field is important for macro/close-ups because you will probably have you aperture wide to get the light in.

Suggestions?

I'd say say something like a micro four-thirds ILC(interchangeable lens camera) is a suitable balance between these different factors for general macro use and you can get either IBIS bodies or OIS in the lenses reasonably cheaply, depending on you defintion of cheap. So something like an Olympus OMD-EM5 - I use the EM5 Mark II which has built in 5-axis IBIS I think. You can either use that with micro-four thirds lenses (the 60mm OLympus macro lens is said to be great), or (depending on the magnification you are after) get some cheap adapters (MFT -> M42, M42-> microscope), some M42 extensions tubes of some kind, optionally an aperture adapter, and use microscope objectives.