VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to set up an ITX HTPC but I keep getting blue screens during the Windows install.

It happens after the first reboot when it is on "completing installation". The screen flickers black once (which is normal and I assume something display related is installing) and then moments later it will blue screen. I don't think it's related to the black screen thing, that is just when it happens.

The bluescreen says stop: 0x0000007E and stop HIDCLASS.sys.

I've tried installing from USB (UEFI and old) and from CD. I've tried a different hard drive, RAM, graphics card. I've disabled as much on board stuff as possible. My last resort is a different PSU and case to see i

I've reset the BIOS to defaults and put a fresh battery in. Now I'm stumped. The board was fine about a week ago and now W7 refuses to install on it 🙁

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if you try to boot some form of Linux on it? Especially one that boots with a loglevel that generally outputs plentiful information in the kernel message ringbuffer.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HIDCLASS.SYS deals with keyboard/mice. I've seen reports of such BSODs, at least one report during install. Try unplugging/changing the mouse/keyboard.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the specs of your machine? Are you using Ryzen? I remember reading somewhere that Ryzen has problem when installing Windows 7 with USB mouse and keyboard.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 4, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Windows 7 installed in the end by unplugging the front panel USB header. Not sure what the problem was there...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC