VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit of a combination of casual question, and semi- PSA. Here in my early-40's, I've been lately experiencing sporadic minor upper abdominal discomfort. Over the past months, I've been undergoing various medical checks and blood tests, scans and x-rays - all clear.

It finally occurred to me to look into my posture, which in my lifetime has never been that great. It's been what I would call, "The Typical Nerd Hunchover". As though your torso is horizontally hinged in the middle, and the upper half hunches forwards over the lower half as you peer at the screen and mouse and type. The area being put under unnatural compression is the exact area I've been feeling lately, and a corrected posture basically alleviates it.

I just wanted to tell some of you younger guys especially, that yes, you can spend half the day hunched over your keyboards all you like during your 20's and 30's, probably no trouble at all, but (like many things as you age) you might find that long-term bad habit comes back with rather more teeth as you head into your 40's - and I'd advise you to correct it earlier rather than later.

Factors such as: (any other ideas?)
-Posture
-Ergonomics of your desk setup
-Chair setup & quality

& you'll be able to happily and comfortably game on for decades to come!

Reply 1 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be interesting to know the average age of members here. I'd guess it's over 40. But I definitely agree... try to keep up the correct posture and physical shape. There are many videos on YT on the topic... But today, not only nerds, everyone is now in danger of bad posture because of prolonged phone and computer usage...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early 40's here too and feeling the pain of countless hours hunched over the keyboard - mainly around the shoulders and neck, which means headaches. A proper setup makes a big difference of course but nothing beats exercise IMO - I haven't been able to ride my bike to work for 1.5 years due to COVID so fitness has dropped off, but I've recently started running on the treadmill (while watching nerdy documentaries on YouTube 😋) and it's made a noticeable difference to stiffness and headaches.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-08-30, 06:12:

It finally occurred to me to look into my posture, which in my lifetime has never been that great. It's been what I would call, "The Typical Nerd Hunchover". As though your torso is horizontally hinged in the middle, and the upper half hunches forwards over the lower half as you peer at the screen and mouse and type.

I almost never do that, unless I work with a laptop on my lap. If anything, I go to the other extreme (leaning backwards too much).

How's your eyesight? Do you feel you need to hunch over to get closer to the screen?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 10, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Computer time is when my back/posture gets a break!

I use an Aeron chair at home and at work, I find that it helps with posture and has nice lower lumbar support.

Several hundred miles a month on my bike though... that's been killing my lower back.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 6 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed in my mid 30's using a laptop all day every day gave me a sore neck so use a external screen whenever available for a while now.

Now in my early 40's and I only got a gaming chair earlier this year. Should of done it earlier, comfort alone it's much better.
The old dining room chair at my computer desk finally broke after getting a lot more use from roughly a year of working from home.
I did notice my back had a few new aches and pains so started looking at decent quality chairs to replace it with and ended up with a 2nd hand "GT Omega Racing" chair.
Not really a fan of the gaming chair looks but my computer area isn't going to win any interior design awards anyway.

Reply 7 of 10, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my current home setup is quite comfortable and ergonomic however, that was not always the case.

i am 53 years old and had pretty much given up on active gaming due to sciatica and lumbago pain.

my boss bought us all uplift standing desks about a year ago for work. to say it was life changing is an understatement.

fast forward to today, i pretty much stand all day at work on a balance board. sciatica and lumbago pain are almost completely gone. i've also lost 40lbs since i started, so there's that too.

spent a couple of hours playing call of duty 2 this weekend... 😎

Reply 8 of 10, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wirerogue wrote on 2021-08-31, 14:29:
my current home setup is quite comfortable and ergonomic however, that was not always the case. […]
Show full quote

my current home setup is quite comfortable and ergonomic however, that was not always the case.

i am 53 years old and had pretty much given up on active gaming due to sciatica and lumbago pain.

my boss bought us all uplift standing desks about a year ago for work. to say it was life changing is an understatement.

fast forward to today, i pretty much stand all day at work on a balance board. sciatica and lumbago pain are almost completely gone. i've also lost 40lbs since i started, so there's that too.

interesting, great result you have had from this. It is the sitting itself that's bad if done for hours a day, although it can be mitigated to some extent by sitting with better posture it is better yet helped by just reducing the hours spent sitting according to a couple of articles i've read about it

i take breaks and exercise regularly but I know this doesn't counter all the effects of sitting so long, more standing less sitting is probably the best bet, hmm best get up!

Reply 9 of 10, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-08-31, 14:40:
wirerogue wrote on 2021-08-31, 14:29:
my current home setup is quite comfortable and ergonomic however, that was not always the case. […]
Show full quote

interesting, great result you have had from this. It is the sitting itself that's bad if done for hours a day, although it can be mitigated to some extent by sitting with better posture it is better yet helped by just reducing the hours spent sitting according to a couple of articles i've read about it

i take breaks and exercise regularly but I know this doesn't counter all the effects of sitting so long, more standing less sitting is probably the best bet, hmm best get up!

all i know is that i tried exercise, stretching and medication for a couple of years with limited results because i was still sitting all day. it was getting very depressing. once i started standing, the pain went away in a few weeks and i stopped taking the medication although i still do the exercise and stretching because... old.

my boss always says "sitting is the new smoking" and after my experience, i kinda have to agree with him.

Reply 10 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as my lower back stands straight and properly supported, then I'm alright. That's why I prefer office chairs whose back stands upright or reclines only slightly.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.