User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:59:
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:10:
kolderman wrote on 2021-09-28, 08:17:

What's the bet they "Stargate" it?

Honestly an SG1 style stargate or really any of the overly exuberant 90’s “action hour” style programming would be a welcome change

What I meant by that comment is what they did with the Stargate reboot, aka Stargate Universe....i.e. it was utter rubbish and nothing like the excellent SG1 and Atlantis.

I felt the same about SGU. I mean, I had a slight aversion against Atlantis, too, at first, but the actors made up for the shortcommings (imho).
Not so in SGU. It seemed as no one has (had) fun doing that show. The constant body switching stories made me tired, also.
Anyway, the graphics (steam-punk gate, computer panels) and the idea itself of an ancient ship flying through eternity wasn't so bad , imho.
For me, it was simply the too dark and depressing setting. A bit more diversity in character and scenery would have been nice.

ratfink wrote on 2021-09-29, 23:08:

"Reboot" doesn't mean "remake" I suppose. Will be interested to see how it turns out. These shows with multiple humanoid races already have plenty of minority politics so whether or not they build that in may not change it all that much. That said, if they changed the characterisation to reflect modern mores... would be weird. But having said that, I've been quite surprised watching old films lately (40s/50s/60s) at how many modern attitudes and agendas are there already...

I'd mainly hope it doesn't turns out like Space 1999 (where everybody looks bored all the time, and which probably would have been better in supermarionation) or Lexx which I always felt should have been fantastic from the visuals but never engaged me.

Oh, it always thought this merely was the British style! I mean, it's a show that comes from an island where it's always rainy/windy and where the sun never shines. Just kidding! 😀
Personally, I didn't mind the the slightly wooden acting when I saw Mondbasis Alpha 1 as a kid first time.

I mean, the story is about an atomic accident that causes the moon to leave earth..
And in the process, earth faces hugh trouble. The earth orbit goes wooosh, tidal waves and earth quakes destroy everything etc etc.
If that isn't a reason to be shocked or depressed, I don't know. The Alphans could also have had gotten totally mad instead.

But yeah, I get the point. The acting could have been less wooden. Which in fact, was proven in the second run of the show (which took place even furher into the future ?).
Which, technically, was a completely different show (aimed at US audiences). Maya was great, but all the other monsters that constantly appeared weren't so much imho.

That being said, I found it much better than UFO, still, which for some reason, that's beyond me, is somewhat hyped by fans nowadays.
Also, Space: 1999 was a rather early show, a pioneer so to say - it predated Alien, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Silent Running.
So I guess it could have been worse, say, more like Space Patrol Orion. He-heh. 😉

Btw, there's a documentary about Space: 1999.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5z8M-5B48k

I think that might be the one that I've seen years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.

awgamer wrote on 2021-09-30, 10:21:

>Lexx

Sex couldn't sell that show.

Hm, you might be right. Still liked the fact that it was so "trippy" sometimes. 🤣
But to be honest, I never knew if something in the show was meant to be serious or a parody.
On the positive side, though: The computer animations were nice and very 90s-ish, a bit like those of B5, just cheaper.
And the characters were also refreshing in some ways. Stanley, which looked a bit like a lift boy, was supposed to be a bit simple minded guy,
but was the only "normal" person around. And then there was Kai, which was the zombie/vampire version of Mr. Spock from TOS.
790, which was like a proto Bender (Futurama)..

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-10-01, 02:47:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 19:09:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-09-30, 11:57:

Ah, Delenn. If I ever fell in love with a fictional character, it was definitely Delenn. 😆

I would have to say I was mainly an Ivanova man. Though I found a slight leaning toward Talia Winters for a bit, but she was too much of a sap.

In any case, back in 2017 I was proposed (yes, she proposed me first) by a woman who really looks like Lyta Alexander. Our relationship didn't last long though, but then I met another woman, and the rest is history.

😎 👍

twiz11 wrote on 2021-09-30, 23:01:

Fiction of any kind = Non-fiction+time. Given enough time the fiction becomes real. Babylon 5 is just a human-generated fantasy, and I am just a person who tries to make it real. The best stories are those with no happy endings, because death is never a happy ending, it is a realistic ending.

This still counts as happy ending though, albeit rather depressing. But isn't it happy ending when our loved ones remember us as a good person?

I would say yes. Some people also speculate the way we live(d) could be more important than what we archived.
Say, if a society has noble goals, but fails to make all of them real (green energy, no need for money, social justice, vegetarism etc),
it might still be held in honour (will be remembered) by the people that will come past them.

By the way, that episode was recored by my dad years ago, along with the one(s) in which Sheridan wanished into light
and Delenn was sitting alone on her garden bench. He was moved to tears.
The closest episode DS9 had, as far as I remember at the moment, was The Sound of Her Voice.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 74, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-04, 08:34:

By the way, that episode was recored by my dad years ago, along with the one(s) in which Sheridan wanished into light
The closest episode DS9 had, as far as I remember at the moment, was The Sound of Her Voice.

Not the "What you leave behind" DS9 finale?

It practically ends the same way, with Sisko vanishing into the light while his wife and son remain saddened by his death/ascension.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 43 of 74, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
In any case, back in 2017 I was proposed (yes, she proposed me first) by a woman who really looks like Lyta Alexander. Our relat […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 19:09:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-09-30, 11:57:

Ah, Delenn. If I ever fell in love with a fictional character, it was definitely Delenn. 😆

I would have to say I was mainly an Ivanova man. Though I found a slight leaning toward Talia Winters for a bit, but she was too much of a sap.

In any case, back in 2017 I was proposed (yes, she proposed me first) by a woman who really looks like Lyta Alexander. Our relationship didn't last long though, but then I met another woman, and the rest is history.

Fiction of any kind = Non-fiction+time. Given enough time the fiction becomes real. Babylon 5 is just a human-generated fantasy, and I am just a person who tries to make it real. The best stories are those with no happy endings, because death is never a happy ending, it is a realistic ending.

This still counts as happy ending though, albeit rather depressing. But isn't it happy ending when our loved ones remember us as a good person?

philosophically speaking, i want to believe in reincarnation and when i die i will be reborn as someone in the future who will have no memory of my past lives...

iami

Reply 44 of 74, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-04, 09:00:

DS9 is a bad copy of a great show.

It picked up in later seasons, and it had some really good episodes.

I remember one episode in particular in which Sisko gets struck by some kind of energy pulse that makes him jump rapidly forward in time, briefly occasionally emerging and then disappearing again along the way, while his son Jake spends his entire life trying to release his father from that predicament. It was a touching episode.

Even though DS9 initially ripped off the initial premise of B5, it quickly developed a unique character of it's own.

Reply 45 of 74, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-04, 23:24:

philosophically speaking, i want to believe in reincarnation and when i die i will be reborn as someone in the future who will have no memory of my past lives...

If Babylon Five were our real future, which character would you like to reincarnate as?

I would say yes. Some people also speculate the way we live(d) could be more important than what we archived. Say, if a society […]
Show full quote

I would say yes. Some people also speculate the way we live(d) could be more important than what we archived.
Say, if a society has noble goals, but fails to make all of them real (green energy, no need for money, social justice, vegetarism etc),
it might still be held in honour (will be remembered) by the people that will come past them.

I notice that comparison between Babylon Five and Deep Space Nine is inevitable. Here's my stance: although DS9 is not quite as deep as B5, neither in story nor character development, I still like it much better than the way-too-sterile TNG. Unlike TNG, DS9 still shows the 'human' side of the characters. The Klingon lawyer is an example; it shows that Klingons can be cunning and devious, especially in the courtroom. Also, I remember an episode where Worf confided in General Martok, that even though he loved Jadzia Dax, her behavior was far from that of an ideal wife he wanted. Then Martok admitted that Sirella, his own wife, was not an ideal wife either; she has too much pride and vanity for his tastes, and yet he loved her with all his heart. And that was much better than every single TNG episode I ever watch. If anything, it showed that Klingons --and every alien race out there, for that matter-- are more 'human' than whatever stereotypical role Star Trek tries to potray them.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 46 of 74, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious, by the way: have any of you seen any episodes of Crusade, the shortlived Babylon 5 spinoff?

I actually liked it. It definitely felt part of the Babylon 5 universe, while at the same time having a unique atmosphere of its own. I quickly warmed up to the cast.

Also, the music for it was quite unique and distinctive from B5.

It's a shame the show was cancelled, and only 13 episodes were made.

For those of you who never saw it, here is a link to the intro video of the series to give you a taste of the vibe of the show.

Reply 48 of 74, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-10-07, 03:50:
If Babylon Five were our real future, which character would you like to reincarnate as? […]
Show full quote

If Babylon Five were our real future, which character would you like to reincarnate as?

I would say yes. Some people also speculate the way we live(d) could be more important than what we archived. Say, if a society […]
Show full quote

I notice that comparison between Babylon Five and Deep Space Nine is inevitable. Here's my stance: although DS9 is not quite as deep as B5, neither in story nor character development, I still like it much better than the way-too-sterile TNG. Unlike TNG, DS9 still shows the 'human' side of the characters. The Klingon lawyer is an example; it shows that Klingons can be cunning and devious, especially in the courtroom. Also, I remember an episode where Worf confided in General Martok, that even though he loved Jadzia Dax, her behavior was far from that of an ideal wife he wanted. Then Martok admitted that Sirella, his own wife, was not an ideal wife either; she has too much pride and vanity for his tastes, and yet he loved her with all his heart. And that was much better than every single TNG episode I ever watch. If anything, it showed that Klingons --and every alien race out there, for that matter-- are more 'human' than whatever stereotypical role Star Trek tries to potray them.

I'd probably be reincarnated as one of the nameless saps which work on the station, like turning the power on and off.

iami

Reply 49 of 74, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:08:

I'd probably be reincarnated as one of the nameless saps which work on the station, like turning the power on and off.

I'd reincarnate as a "red-shirt" officer ... knowing my luck

Reply 50 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
If Babylon Five were our real future, which character would you like to reincarnate as? […]
Show full quote

Show full quote

Crewman number 6 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qopdYE3_QoU

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51 of 74, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote on 2021-10-07, 23:32:
I'm curious, by the way: have any of you seen any episodes of Crusade, the shortlived Babylon 5 spinoff? […]
Show full quote

I'm curious, by the way: have any of you seen any episodes of Crusade, the shortlived Babylon 5 spinoff?

I actually liked it. It definitely felt part of the Babylon 5 universe, while at the same time having a unique atmosphere of its own. I quickly warmed up to the cast.

For those of you who never saw it, here is a link to the intro video of the series to give you a taste of the vibe of the show.

Well... It's kinda cheesy, especially the hologram gunner station (where the gunner float and shoot with her fists, ew). Andreas Katsulas really saved the pilot episode though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 52 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand what you mean, though there's a reason for this.
Star Trek originated from the cold war era and its core idea was "what if..".
Star Trek, in Gene Roddenberry's vision, was the dream of a better humanity.
(And since he was alive during the early episodes of TNG still, AFAIK, he demanded that
the storyliney had to be rather peacful.
Which was a challenge for the story writers.)
Long story short, Star Trek was a Gedankenexperiment that played with ideas of a humanity that has interest in philosophy, team work and mutual respect.
And how things could turn out, if basic needs are satisfied (replicators, food synthesizers) and greed (money) is nolonger a motivation.
It also showed -I assume- how a humane, propaganda free "socialism" like society could work in the future.

Of course, that may look fake and sterile to most of us and "too good to be true".
Except to us fans (Trekkies, Trekker), who grew up with these ideals.

That reminds me of some talk show from 1990s, btw.
A priest called the show during when it was running live in TV.
He complained that no actual people can be "that good" as show in Star Trek: TNG.
And he added "And what about Jesus?! How can people live without Jesus in their lifes?!" 🙄

That shows how even spiritual people are simpleminded and mentally limited.
Arrg, how I hate that Christian "we are all sinners" mentally.
Let's just look at new borns, there's no hate in their eyes. Humans are fundamentally good beings.
They're just too easy to impress and mess up/brainwash, especially during childhood. 😟

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-10-04, 08:43:

Not the "What you leave behind" DS9 finale?

It practically ends the same way, with Sisko vanishing into the light while his wife and son remain saddened by his death/ascension.

Sure, I remember that episode and it touched my heart, too.
But there always was hope left. They knew the prophets took care of him.
There was a chance left that Sisko comes back eventually, even if it's only for a short moment from time to time to meet his beloved ones.
Sheridan however, transformed, ascended. Like a dragonfly, that startet life under water but crossed the surface of water.
Equally, like a firefly, he was never able to go back.

digger wrote on 2021-10-05, 19:12:
It picked up in later seasons, and it had some really good episodes. […]
Show full quote
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-04, 09:00:

DS9 is a bad copy of a great show.

It picked up in later seasons, and it had some really good episodes.

I remember one episode in particular in which Sisko gets struck by some kind of energy pulse that makes him jump rapidly forward in time, briefly occasionally emerging and then disappearing again along the way, while his son Jake spends his entire life trying to release his father from that predicament. It was a touching episode.

Even though DS9 initially ripped off the initial premise of B5, it quickly developed a unique character of it's own.

Ah, yes, I remember that episode!
I honestly got teary eyes, too from watching it.
Jake couldn't live that way knowing his father was caught.
He ultimately gave his life to free him.
Even he was elderly at that point, he made the greatest sacrifice a human being can do.
That shows how good a person he really was.

Speaking of DS9 vs B5..
I think they inspired each other at some point.

I mean, the scheme of impulsive doctor+dominant captain+strong/intelligent first officer+funny mechanic wasn't entirely new.

Both ST TOS and Space:1999 had such elements.
- Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, Kirk, Scotty
- Maya, Dr.Russel, Koenig, Bergman

That being said, I'm not a die hard fan.
I like all of these shows more ore less.

What I like most of Space: 1999 is the idea that
the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha are no super humans with highly evolved technology.
They are rather out of place, trown into a situation they weren't prepared for.
They are more like us, the wooden acting excluded. The technology is very humble, also, but has class.
The handsets they use, the terminals and beautiful monochrome CRTs.
They kinda remind me of the Genii tech from. SG Atlantis sometimes.

To me, the technology in SP1999 was also down to earth and near realistic.
The "computers" they had reminded me of real technology from the 1960s/1970s.
The memory banks could have been assembled from discrete DRAM chips or TTL flip flops.
A real moonbase could have been made that way.

Given enough space and the huge amount of power from atomic reactors, thousands of such chips could give several dozen megabyte of RAM for a Z80 and CP/M based computer system, even in the real 1970s.

The real MP/M operating system from the late 1970s had that ability.
https://hackaday.io/project/163683-the-thing- … -mpm-experiment

It could handle banks-witching, which could have had given access to to hundreds of megabyte, if modified accordingly. More than what real PCs in 1999 had gotten.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:24:

Crewman number 6 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qopdYE3_QoU

You made my day! And it's still in the night, even! 😂

Hm. I guess one of the two technician guys at the end of the story (Mack/Bo?)? 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U1ioARKOqQ

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 53 of 74, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-10-08, 02:28:
digger wrote on 2021-10-07, 23:32:
I'm curious, by the way: have any of you seen any episodes of Crusade, the shortlived Babylon 5 spinoff? […]
Show full quote

Well... It's kinda cheesy, especially the hologram gunner station (where the gunner float and shoot with her fists, ew). Andreas Katsulas really saved the pilot episode though.

No, that's Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers, the pilot episode of another B5 spinoff, attempted later. And I agree, that pilot episode was quite cheesy indeed, particularly the VR gunner scene.

No, Crusade was an earlier spinoff and actually had multiple episodes, even though it sadly was already cancelled by the time the first episode aired.

Crusade picks off right after the Babylon 5 movie A Call to Arms, which introduces a few of the characters that would later star in the show. I don't know if you have seen that one yet.

If you haven't seen any of those episodes yet, you might want to give it a try. (And watch A Call to Arms first.)

Reply 54 of 74, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

But to be honest, I never knew if something in the show was meant to be serious or a parody.

Season 1 (TV films) and 2 - mix of both.
Season 3 - more serious, albeit weird.
Season 4 - pure parody and also trash.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 55 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-12, 08:35:
Season 1 (TV films) and 2 - mix of both. Season 3 - more serious, albeit weird. Season 4 - pure parody and also trash. […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote:

Season 1 (TV films) and 2 - mix of both.
Season 3 - more serious, albeit weird.
Season 4 - pure parody and also trash.

Thanks! ^^

Btw, there are Babylon 5 models for the Celestia simulation.:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fic_babylon5.html

Celestia is a bit like a poor man's version of Star Trek Voyager's Astrometrics Lab.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Astrometrics

There are many models of space craft available, including classics like Sputnik, Sayut 7 or the deep space probes.
It also runs on older systems no problem. Power Mac G3 and up running Mac OS X Tiger, Pentium III with Win 98SE..

Edit: Picture of a classic model added.

Attachments

• eaexplorer.jpg
    Filename
    eaexplorer.jpg
    File size
    19.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 56 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also interesting is a recently made star map of the main Babylon 5 star systems.
It tries to be most realistic and seems to be drawn based on the comments the writers made.

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2 … ylon-5-starmap/

Attachments

• babylon-5-starmap.png
    Filename
    babylon-5-starmap.png
    File size
    141.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 57 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Found a little web site with some 90s era digitally rendered fan art..
- I haven't thought that actual B5 fan art was that hard to find, btw.

Attachments

• b4stations.jpg
    Filename
    b4stations.jpg
    File size
    2.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 58 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Babylon 5
Zatharas strikes back!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 59 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update.

https://movieweb.com/cw-pushes-babylon-5-reboot-2023/

//My video channel//