VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm in need of a bit of advice. I have a friend who I've been buying parts off of that I met in the last year or so. He used to run a computer shop that closed back in the early 2000s/late 90s, only he kept most of the stock. Consquently his house is full of vintage/retro/old computer stuff. Things like ZIP drives, IBM ThinkPads, Voodoo cards. He wants to sell it all off and I want to help him but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone help me out or give me some advice as to where I could start? He is located in the UK near Cardiff. Here are some pictures if anyone is interested. Cheers.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmUgfIu5mshyhm6P86dGPOk1T_ww?e=X0xoWi

Reply 2 of 12, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers, I'll get it posted on Amibay. Not really selling or trading, just looking for advice to help out a friend.

Edit: There is too much for one person to reasonably list on eBay, though he has sold a few items on there. I'm just helping him out, personally I'd prefer to talk to enthusiasts than scalpers/people looking for a quick buck which is why I posted here.

Reply 3 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Few years ago couple of members started a discord channel that seemed to work ok, at least from my perspective as buyer
The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

Reply 5 of 12, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-06, 09:51:

"Talk to enthusiasts" sounds a lot like "interested in maximizing the profit" to me 😁

Selling a big collection piece by piece is a hassle.
If it was me, and the primary concern was to get rid of the stuff, I'd set up a garage sale - no worries about shipping, writing ads, etc. Cash in hand at the end of the day.

I'm not getting anything out of it, I'm just helping out a friend. He's always given me a good price on anything I bought from him. Max profits don't seem to be his main consideration or else I guess he would've Ebayed most of the good stuff by now.

You may be right about just getting rid of the stuff, though I don't know of a significant retro computer scene in the South Wales area. I'll have to speak to him about maybe avertising the hoard on gumtree or facebook.

Reply 6 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd try and see if there are some UK based Facebook groups on retro stuff. I'm pretty sure someone would be interested in taking the lot given a good price.

Back in 2014 I was given a whole lot of computer stuff, new and old from a family member who worked at a company that went out of business. It was everything or nothing. Later I received offers to sell the whole lot, but in the end I decided to I split it all up. I did up making 4 times the profit by doing that, but it was alot of work!

Last edited by vetz on 2021-10-06, 13:35. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 12, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Certainly some interesting bits there... wonder how many surviving NV1 cards there are, looks like the thing has a sound chip as well, and of course, everyone knows Voodoo cards are a significant thing.

Reply 8 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a bit of a loose "scene" in Bristol I think. I guess most cities have the inklings of one, but Bristol supports a retro arcade at least. Anyway, if you aim toward Bristol FB groups, Reddits, classifieds, there might be some willing to scoot down the M4 for stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 12, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you may have luck on vcfed.org forums. You can sell there. I've never been able to login to Amibay, but perhaps that's just me. Are there any AT towers?

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 11 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2021-10-06, 09:21:

Few years ago couple of members started a discord channel that seemed to work ok, at least from my perspective as buyer

can I get an invite link to said discord?

Reply 12 of 12, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-10-06, 19:50:

you may have luck on vcfed.org forums. You can sell there. I've never been able to login to Amibay, but perhaps that's just me. Are there any AT towers?

I'll take a look there too, thanks. I'm not having much luck with local Facebook groups as most are either focused on micros or more modern computers.

I did post a thread to amibay as well but it hasn't been approved by the mods over there as of yet.

chinny22 wrote on 2021-10-06, 09:21:

That's a pretty good idea actually. If I set up a discord I will post it here. I think before I do that I will need to get a more thorough catalogue of the more noteworthy and interesting items. There is a lot to look through though and even the owner doesn't remember everything that is there.