VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm interested in learning to do this. Need advice on buying equipment and necessary accessories.

My main motivation for doing this is repairing/modding a nintendo gamecube. Know I can get on google
and get a bucket load of videos & info but figure there are quite a few on the forum here that can offer
some friendly advice.

Foxconn Q45M E8400 Core2 Duo 3GB DDR2 800 BFG Geforce 7950GT 512MB X-Fi Xtreme Music 500W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 40GB Voodoo 3000 16MB SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 16GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 650W

Reply 1 of 8, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voultar did an amazing job in one of his videos (he did also update the description of it , by the way. So remember to read the description of it).

Buying Your First Soldering Station (UPDATE READ DESCRIPTION)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdHJ3BTh_c

Reply 2 of 8, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2021-10-11, 17:29:

Voultar did an amazing job in one of his videos (he did also update the description of it , by the way. So remember to read the description of it).

Buying Your First Soldering Station (UPDATE READ DESCRIPTION)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdHJ3BTh_c

Thanks, I bookmarked his site as he has a bunch of console modding videos - perfect!

Foxconn Q45M E8400 Core2 Duo 3GB DDR2 800 BFG Geforce 7950GT 512MB X-Fi Xtreme Music 500W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 40GB Voodoo 3000 16MB SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 16GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 650W

Reply 5 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My advice is to take some classes in electrical engineering at your local city college or trading center.
Learn to read schematics and fundamentals of electrical components and engineering.
Get a Multimeter, ERS Meter, Electric Microscope, Build or buy a work bench ( Home Depot ) has some nice inexpensive ones.
Work outside in a well vented place like an open door garage.
Get some good lighting.
Don’t breath the solder smoke. So you want to use some fans and well vented room.

Don’t buy cheap solder or flux.
You want to use a reputable brand. You don’t want to get contaminated with toxic smoke or chemicals.

Reply 6 of 8, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-12, 02:54:

yeah zach is a good guy to learn from, I've never seen him demonstrate anything but good techniques

Some of his viewers has called him "The Bob Ross of soldering" 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also strongly recommend learning the basics of electricity and electronics.
Traditionally, books about crystal radios and electronics construction kits do cover Ohm's Law, tubes, diodes, bi-polar transistors etc. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just ungraded my $15 soldering iron with a $25 one two weeks ago.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉