VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New phones release everyday. What's the current one you are using?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 49, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-10-29, 15:52:

New phones release everyday. What's the current one you are using?

A Panasonic push button land line phone.

Edit: It is one of those modern cordless ones.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 49, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motorola G7+. It was $100 brand new and carrier unlocked. Not the fanciest phone around but pure overkill.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 49, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-29, 20:25:
Old and trusted tech :) […]
Show full quote

Old and trusted tech 😀

5036a70f9b095d85bad7ad36e8fbaa14.jpg

Edit: serious answer? A couple of ancient apple phones.

picture shows the most modern energy efficient model of them all with a decent price! 🤣
oh an apple a day keeps the doctor away (i no fan of iphone legacy issues)

Reply 9 of 49, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I usually skip 2-3 generations but I was curious about the macro camera feature and C-AF in cinema mode and sold my 11 Pro Max and two older iPads to pay for it.

Landlines? Who uses landlines these days?

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 12 of 49, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a Pixel 3 which surprisingly just got upgraded to Android 12 but IIRC after this month there is no guarantee of any further security updates.

I was hoping to upgrade to the new Pixel early next year but once again someone at Google forgot to check wikipedia or zoom out on Google Maps so its not available in my country. My phones battery life and performance are still fine so no rush I guess. Or perhaps I'll just import one from Australia again.

Reply 13 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will prolly be looking for something soon, Motorola G series or Pixel 2 look in the ballpark of "What's refurbed for around $150*" though gotta check into which have removable batteries and storage, and it's gotta be around 5" max, not ping-pong bat sized. Android 9 at least I hope. Also needs available otterbox, a USB standard charge/data hole, preferably a 3.5mm jack, but otherwise better last half a week or so with bluetooth turned on if it hasn't. Camera, yes, anything over 5MP and not sucktastic in low light, which usually happens in the first generations of huge megapixel increments, so I'll stay a few yards behind bleeding edge there.

* even if I could potentially scrape up more, that's as much as I'm comfortable dropping, breaking, losing or getting stolen.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 49, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as my personal daily driver for the past 3 years (don’t want to replace it yet… it’s been an awesome phone)
- iPhone 12 Pro as my work phone for the past year (great device, it does many things right… but for a techie like me, it also has a lot of weird shortcomings, especially when one needs to use it outside of the Apple ecosystem).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 17 of 49, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-10-30, 04:40:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as my personal daily driver for the past 3 years (don’t want to replace it yet… it’s been an awesome phone)
- iPhone 12 Pro as my work phone for the past year (great device, it does many things right… but for a techie like me, it also has a lot of weird shortcomings, especially when one needs to use it outside of the Apple ecosystem).

Hellooo there fellow galaxy note 9 user xD

I haven't really felt the urge to upgrade either. To me phones have got to the point that any one will pretty much do the job.

Specs are also kinda silly at this point since every phone has like 12gig+ of ram and a multi core cpu , i dont really know what to even use the extra horsepower for.

The only thing that would tide me over would be foldables but they aren't really there yet engineering wise.

Reply 19 of 49, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not interested in phones tech anymore. In the past at least until the previous decade, there were all type of feature phones and smartphones choices with different ideas, tech, SoC, o.s. platforms, GUI interfaces, from the most basic ones to the highest end versions. Nowdays I don't see much differences in any phones and all looks the same conceptually.
I even bought the "Matrix" inspired version of the '8110 4G' phone hoping in some new ideas into the phone market but imho that platform concept already seen in the past can't be exactly great in the final user experience depending too much in its hw choice (SoC speed, keypad lifetime, buttons feedback, sw updates etc..).