VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, I'm a bit perplexed. My guess is that this demo that I'm trying to run (Relais by Kolor) is just poorly coded, but when I try to run it fails to load glColorTableEXT and subsequently fails to run. This seems slightly bizarre to me, seeing as how it's quite recent (requires GF3+) and did work on my XP 1800+ with a GeForceFX 5900. Does anyone know of a test suite that will test glColorTableEXT?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the demo "relais" by Kolor too and it DOESN'T RUN on my ATi Radeon 9600 anymore (I owned a GF4 Ti4200 previously, on where it run).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Un-fucking-believeable

glColorTableEXT
Selected NVIDIA GPUs: NV1x (GeForce 256, GeForce2, GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Go, Quadro, Quadro2), NV2x (GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, Quadro DCC, Quadro4 XGL), and NV3x (GeForce FX 5xxxx, Quadro FX 1000/2000/3000).
NV3 (Riva 128) and NV4 (TNT, TNT2) GPUs and NV4x GPUs do NOT support this functionality (no hardware support). Future NVIDIA GPU designs will no longer support paletted textures.

This is going to fuck up so much older stuff. 😒

OpenGL Extensions Viewer is useful for seeing what your card DOES support.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Palleted textures support isn't good nowadays. But that doesn't seem to be an excuse. There are even some older games that made use of these extension (some older final fantasy?).

On the other hand, OpenGL extensions viewer is quite cool. For my ATi Radeon 9600 it reports 100% compatibility up to OpenGL version 1.5 (quite an improvement over my aging GF4 Ti4200). But I guess it's driver version related too. 😎

PS - We are talking about OpenGL API only. Does anybody know if Direct-X has some sort of fallback compatibility (even software emulated) for palleted textures?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 5 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine too, but at 56% 😵

EDIT. Corrected the value. ATi Catalyst 5.3

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-03-31, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine say 100%.

X800

Ati v5.3 drivers.

v2.0
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_vertex_shader

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still waitin for those OGL 2.0 games. Not sure if Doom 3 takes advantage of OGL 2.

Reply 9 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it. Most newer games still fallback to some OpenGL 1.x for compatibility reasons. Even StarWars:KoTOR2 The Sith Lords uses OpenGL 1.4 - I finished it a week ago.

As for Doom3 I played it both under my GF4 Ti4200 and current ATi Radeon 9600 and played fine on both.

Now, it's probably right to think that some of the newest games may use some newer OpenGL 2.0 extensions (and more than games, demos). I don't know what would happen when you run them on a older card. They will probably switch to some compatibility mode still, or they may leave those new "bell and whistles" behind (advanced options grayed out?).

PS - As a sidenote, OpenGL is GREAT. I will never get accostumed to the behemoth slow Direct-X powered game engines (VALVe Source(tm) engine comes to mind). They are simply quite slow when compared to OpenGL, although there are always some exceptions that break the rule (although rare). Some other people say OpenGL is faster but Direct-X is more evolved and has better "eye-candy". I am not entirely sure.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Oh, that's it? Mine supports OpenGL 2.0 at 100%, nyeah 😉

= EDIT

Video card owners with OGL 2.0 support. UNITE! Unite to do what I do not know......

Reply 12 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find it rather strange that nVidia doesn't provide any kind of software conversion for glColorTableEXT to use pixel shaders, since I imagine that GL_EXT_palleted_texture was used quite a bit in the past.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's why I have stopped using nVIDIA cards. I think nVIDIA has done a poor work regarding their customers after TNT2. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)