VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know its a bit strange to ask for something like this but i try, maybe there is a solution to my "Problem" - OK Here we go:

YOu know, my first PC was a 286 PC with B/W monitor, and i really enjoed playing PQ1 or SQ1 on it - in greytones. Then i got a newer pc -but throw my games away (i was childish 😊 ) Now i got all : full package of Sietrra Adventures and a Color monitor, and a wish to play the First Sierra games on a B/W monitor (or in Greytones) - so i ask you guys if you know if there is a B/W monitor Emulator for Windows XP ? Or if i can change the output of my Graphiccard in some other way

Ive got a SIS intergrated G-Card in my Notebook - with the Drivers installed, i cannot "discard" the colors for a B/W output. 😢

(i know maybe this is the Strangest Question you ever heard - but i really would like to play PQ1 in Greytones - the CGA Colors look only at the first sight good- the Greytones Are BETTER for me 😁 )

To be clear: Im searching for a Emulator or Something else that changes the Colors of my Color-Screen to greytones - is there something like this.

(i would search the forum for this - but: First i dont know 4 what sentence i have to search 2: i really have a doubt if some other is liking something like this 😁)

REALLY THX in Advance !! 😘

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a green phosporous emulator for CGA only. Never tried it.

Attachments

• Filename
    VERDE.RAR
    File size
    29.83 KiB
    Downloads
    205 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember I wrote a small ASM program that make VGA use monochrome palette only.

Here is an excerpt from Ralph's Brown doc.

INT 10 - VIDEO - PERFORM GRAY-SCALE SUMMING (VGA/MCGA) AX = 101Bh BX = starting palette register CX = number of registers to […]
Show full quote

INT 10 - VIDEO - PERFORM GRAY-SCALE SUMMING (VGA/MCGA)
AX = 101Bh
BX = starting palette register
CX = number of registers to convert
Return: nothing
Desc: convert the RGB values of one or more palette registers such that the
resulting values are grays with the same intensities as the original
colors
SeeAlso: AH=12h/BL=33h

Well, I made a 12 byte .COM using debug but it does just nothing. Then again, I don't know how many registers I have to change.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 8, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the Verde prog works - i can run the program, and the screen changes the
res. and the palette to full green - but when i run the PQ1 game, the
colors come back - i think in this case windows "makes the difference".
(PS: not to be misunderstood : i first start the command line "cmd" - tzhen the verde prog, and then - in the same command line - the game)

So i have to look for a windows Program that emulates the grayscale for
applications, and that stays resident in the windows background- but i
dont think i can find such a program 😖
this could be a cool addon for the next DOS-BOX ver. 😉

I try to see this positive : i still can play my "g"old games 😀

ps:

thxfor the source-code but i dont have any compiler to make a .com file and
im not a programmer - all i can is a bit C and turbo pascal 😁

Reply 5 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doh! Forgot to attach the file. It seems it doesn't work anyway. It's maybe for real ms-dos.

Attachments

• Filename
    VGAMONO.ZIP
    File size
    134 Bytes
    Downloads
    179 downloads
    File license

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 8, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The verde prog works within dosbox really well, when i change the machine settings to hercules - then i can start it and have full greeen screen output. But i cannot change the settings to grey palette - even if the mode seems to be changed to Monochrome-mode, as u can see in the pic.

Does it MEAN that the Monochrome mode is Activated ??? Cause i cannot read Spanish 😒

I keep searching; maybe i will find such a Emulator in the "endless universe of the internet". Once i find it i will post some an answer in the forum (in case other ones are such crazy people like me 😁 )

But Really thx for help el_PuSHeR

Attachments

• verde at dosbox.jpg
    Filename
    verde at dosbox.jpg
    File size
    18.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    executed program "verde.exe" @ DOS BOX
    File license

Reply 7 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VERDE is Spanish for "green" and that's exactly what verde does. It emulates CGA monochrome but using shades of green ONLY.

PS - I will translate docs into English if I feel brave enough. 😁

Here's an exerpt from docs.

VERDE is a program that tries to emulate visual appearance of old green phosporous displays under VGA ones. Something that may sound stupid at first sight, has its own foundation. In fact, newer display hardware, with its high definition, are a very bad support for the primitive CGA card graphic modes. These modes, emulated nowadays by VGA cards, appear to be totally different from the thought we had those of us who played on a real CGA monitor. Due to this reason, somes games that appeared great in the 80's (keeping in mind CGA's big limitations), appear now somewhat disvirtued. Some of us have experienced that dissapointing feeling after downloading with great hope some classic PC game and finding out that it appears to be something totally different as we recalled it (without counting speed factor).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 8 of 8, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

did it in some strange way: i use the ATI Omega drivers - there i can turn a Smart-Shader option on, and change the dosbox settings to opengl -> then i get grayscale-Screen in the dosbox

Now i need a new Notebook - with a Ati card 😁 cause i only have an sis graphics on board 😐