VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 100, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...I put a PCI-E NVIDIA Quadro from within the last 10 years on e-bay with a starting bid of $10 and nobody bid on it. So obviously the public is not THAT desperate for inexpensive video cards. It's going into my Core 2 now if it has enough guts to power it.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 81 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What was it though? Fermi is just out of bounds for still being useful, if it was a Quadro 7000 or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 82 of 100, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-01, 20:53:

Well...I put a PCI-E NVIDIA Quadro from within the last 10 years on e-bay with a starting bid of $10 and nobody bid on it. So obviously the public is not THAT desperate for inexpensive video cards. It's going into my Core 2 now if it has enough guts to power it.

The general public don’t even know what a quadro is let alone be able to tell a useful one from ewaste.

Reply 83 of 100, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 10:52:

The general public don’t even know what a quadro is let alone be able to tell a useful one from ewaste.

I'm guessing it's because it's a commercial graphics card and not a GeForce card. Even though it kind of shares with the GeForce in design.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 84 of 100, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:10:

I'm guessing it's because it's a commercial graphics card and not a GeForce card. Even though it kind of shares with the GeForce in design.

Its likely why it wasn't bid on, the people who do know what it is are likely to grab a GeForce alternative first since Quadro while good GPUs can be a little odd with their drivers and compatibility with gaming. The ones who dont know what it is likely wouldn't have been searching for it so never saw it.

Reply 86 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know right, now we're playing guess the crappiest Quadro 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 87 of 100, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:14:
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:10:

Its likely why it wasn't bid on, the people who do know what it is are likely to grab a GeForce alternative first since Quadro while good GPUs can be a little odd with their drivers and compatibility with gaming. The ones who dont know what it is likely wouldn't have been searching for it so never saw it.

Yeah, and Driver support was why I was selling it since apparently Linux Mint does not have new enough drivers for it to work with OBS studio (forcing me to software rendering). I'm thinking since it won't sell it'll go in my Core 2 Duo "Beige Beast" system (basically a retro-styled Core 2 duo system in a beige case that runs Linux but I don't plan to use for YouTube video production). Just got to make sure the SFX power supply has enough oomph for that big ole card, I took it out of my Dual Xeon Dell T5400 (which has a much newer radeon card in it).

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 90 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watch out for those time machines you can buy off the internet though, I hear their performance is shocking...

edit:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LHAlcrTRA

Reply 91 of 100, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So seems all those blood sacrifices I make while working on cases weren't for nothing and the hardware gods answered my prayers 😀

In the end a mate who was smart enough to upgrade before all this is lending me his old GTX780 he had in his 2nd rig for the price of a few beers and the understanding if he does need it back he gets priority.
I tried to say as it's not the Ti I'm the one doing him a favour taking it off his hands, that didn't work though.

Reply 92 of 100, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:56:

So seems all those blood sacrifices I make while working on cases weren't for nothing and the hardware gods answered my prayers 😀

In the end a mate who was smart enough to upgrade before all this is lending me his old GTX780 he had in his 2nd rig for the price of a few beers and the understanding if he does need it back he gets priority.
I tried to say as it's not the Ti I'm the one doing him a favour taking it off his hands, that didn't work though.

Change those few beers into MANY beers and... renegotiate the deal?

Step 2: sell the GTX780 and build a castle. Works also as a defensive stucture if your ex mate comes knocking.

Reply 93 of 100, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:56:

Awesome! That card should do just fine.

Reply 94 of 100, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking about how all the old cards compare for relatively recent software. I found a nice GPU mega-roundup at PCGamesHardware that covers everything from GTX 400 and Radeon HD 5000 onward. I don't know if there is anything surprising in the results.
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafikkarten-G … storie-1382238/

Reply 95 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-27, 16:18:

There's one or two FirePro cards, like W4100 Dell OEM that are getting dumped and can be seen around $50, but they're not so great either. (All the cheap ones I've seen have mini display ports, ewww, okay if you've got a bunch of adapters kicking round)

Picked up a miniDP adapter at a thrift on the weekend, so in danger of believing this random internet dude and trying out a W4100...

edit: plus I noticed the power figures have headroom and the core is quite low clocked meaning if I get it well crunk it might be more like an RX550.

Reply 96 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just noticed a load of GT730s 2GB turning up on evilbay for under $40, free shipping on some, the one in the plastic bubble pack seems to have low profile brackets included if that's important. I know, it's a barely adequate for anything card, but it's China "new" ... whether that means all bits are new or just the PCB... at least the caps and fan should be fresher. Only thing to recommend them really is they're single slot, low profile for SFF cases, and don't need a power connector... which features are hard to find, since ASUS among others stick 1 and a half slot wide passive coolers on their "single slot" cards.

Reply 97 of 100, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More or less, I hope that there is a special place in hell for the persons who invented blockchain and itroduced bitcoin and nft. Thats about it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 98 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I found a store with "pulled from working systems" W4100 cards for $30USD a pop, tried to order 3, but they only had 2 on the shelf. So guess I'm getting 2. These have 4 mini display port holes on, nothing else. However, I looked in my stash, I have the miniDP to VGA I snagged the other day and two mini DP to maxi DP and a DP to VGA, so I should be okay until I wanna add monitors.

I was gonna try the bridgeless crossfire if I got three of them... Because I have one more immediate need for one of them, but the other system I could delay install or borrow it back, so could have played with #2 and #3 together in a C2Q system and see what they did for crossfire or under Vulkan how that distributed between Vulkan cores ( I think that's why crossfire and SLI got dropped, no need with Vulkan*) buuuut I don't think it will happen with only 2 arriving as the first one is spoken for and the system that would take two of them is "a ways" from being ready to do it.

* Am I weird if I kinda wanna put a Intel CPU with graphics together with both an AMD and Nvidia GPU in the same system and use all Vulkan cores on those to see if it works together? 🤣

edit: Note to self and anyone trying to read my mind, found random Newegg reviewer saying MSI Afterburner is the way to go for overclocking these, that was in 2015ish so versions/drivers from around then may be necessary.

Reply 99 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang, well I'm not getting those soon, or ever, stock system messup, they haven't got any left. Those machines are doomed to HD6450s, laugh/cry.