User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really really hate mounting/removing the heatsink. 😒

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 37, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. Those leds could pose a real threat if you don't have a manual with good pictures at hand... 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 37, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mounting the heatsink and installing OS/programs.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 5 of 37, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heatsink is absolutetly awful. But LEDs can be very annoying, too. Once plugged them in incorrectly leading to a red glowing resistor on the board. I only noticed it by the red reflection on the casing! Motherboard still works, though.

Reply 6 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The heat sink on the socket A boards is a real pain, but it is a lot easier on the K8 boards. I'm usually annoyed with the front panel connections, with having to keep track of not just the position but also polarity of each plug. I wish that there was an industry standard for one large plug for all of the usual connections. At least we no longer have to fool around with all of the jumpers, too, the way you used to.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 37, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes and following Murphy's Law it will never work as intended the first time. You will probably have something that avoids it from working (a dislodged VGA card in its slot, a bad-seated RAM stick, you name it) 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 10 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Updating the BIOS.

I am in full control of the physical assembly of the system, and I know that if I pay attention to details, it will work.

But when I have to update the BIOS, there is always that nagging voice that says: If the power cuts out, if the memory is bad, if a 1000 things happens, my brand new system will be reduced to an expensive door stop!

Long live BIOS Savior !!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 37, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When first fiddling around with AGP slots I always failed to fully insert the card because they need a final push (after being as far inserted as a PCI card) to snap in.

An industry standard for those LED and other connectors would really be a good thing. It was already a nice improvement from AT->ATX that you could no longer plug in the power connector the wrong way.

HD power connectors are another story. On some occasions you have the option to either destroy them or work half an hour on them 'til they're loose.

Reply 12 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The parts I hate most are installing and configuring the OS (takes days to get things really settled in) and having to take all the hardware out over and over again to get at some component in the middle (e.g. mobo, CPU) that I need to fiddle with.

Reply 13 of 37, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Plugging in the HD LED, PWR, SPKR connectors.

Bingo. I followed my manual perfectly until I realized the damned connectors were flipped backwards (oi...)

Reply 14 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's okay if switches are wired backwards, but I know what you mean about the LEDs. They should have come up with a much better standard system (of labeling or keying the connectors) in the beginning. Color-coded the wires and +/- labels on the mobo help, but which one is positive and ground when one wire is yellow and the other white?