VOGONS

Common searches

Vogons users, how do you deal with anxiety?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 71, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-05-12, 01:31:
@Malik I agree with what you wrote, however, due to personal experience, I feel I must add something to that: - Not all doctors/ […]
Show full quote

@Malik I agree with what you wrote, however, due to personal experience, I feel I must add something to that:
- Not all doctors/psychiatrists/therapist are necessarily friendly or emphatic
- Some of them have serious mental health problems themselves, probably due to long time contact/exposure to patients
- They know about form, but not necessarily about substance.
They have neither been living through certain situations themselves, nor did they take the medication themselves.
That's why, by contrast, a patient is himself his best doctor sometimes (again, sometimes).

Again, I'm not arguing. It's just that the professionals are human, too.
So it might be necessary to keep that in mind, if it turns out that the professional in question isn't a helpful person or makes things worse.

That doesn't mean, however, that all professionals are like that "bad" one.
- I just feel like I must mention that possibility, however.
It's rather hit and miss, I think, like finding friends. Some are a match for you, some are not. It's highly individual.
The relationship between doctor or therapist and patient is based on trust, after all.
That's how it should be, ideally, at least.

Oh well, I probably shouldn't write these lines here because it could demotivate people seeking professional help.
(Which is recommended, to get access to required medication alone.)

But on the other hand, I think I must simultaneously tell them about the small possibility of a negative experience.

Ok, long story short: Just because the professional makes you feel bad or make you responsibility for your own faults doesn't mean it's automatically true.
Some of them maybe simply don't understand you or your exotic hobbies, maybe.
So please don't despair, don't let yourself make feel miserable.

Ratger, if the professional makes you feel worse, consider getting a second opinion by someone else.

Maybe another professional or simply friends or other people with similar health issues.
This helps to get a greater picture on the matter.

And maybe, sometimes, all you need is someone who listens to your worries.
Someone you know who cares about it, if possible.
Really, don't underestimate the need to talk to someone about your problems/worries.
It can really make you feel better and assist the healing process.

PS: A few more words. Some people on the internet are wonderful beings, while others are trying to hurt others because they're being hurt themselves.
So don't please don't take every statement for real. They maybe don't even really mean what they're saying, if they say bad things.

@Jo22, thanks for your explanations. I agree with you. Not all (docs) are truly sympathetic towards their patients. And I would say upto 80% are not. Sad but true. Hard to see a doc who is not just working to make the most profit nowadays.

What I wished for him is, not to get wrong ideas from the wrong people. My previous suggestion was abruptly short and deservedly accrued criticisms.

(P.S. I myself came out from depression. And yes, I was under medication too. But it was not the medication that helped. But the strength of the mind - to think to myself that I'm not going to ruin myself because of my negative thinking. I'm not sure if God exists, but if God helped me, I would like to thank Him too.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 61 of 71, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guy you have to try this.
I rediscovered “Chicken Noodle soup”
It Amazing how it Calms your nerves and Help you Sleep better too.
And its healthy for your body and mind.

Attachments

• IMG_7348.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    File size
    112.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 63 of 71, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Progress0 might have less sodium.
But either way they both work great.

Attachments

Reply 66 of 71, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a concrete tip if you are feeling anxious. Practice mindfulness. It might sound silly but it's amazing how slow, deep breathing helps your body relax. I'm sure there are exercises on YouTube.

Reply 70 of 71, by Boxvens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When it comes to tackling anxiety, everyone has their own little tricks. Some find deep breathing exercises helpful, others swear by taking a peaceful stroll in nature. Oh, and don't underestimate the power of soothing music or practicing mindfulness. And hey, if you ever need a friendly ear, there's always an anxiety hotline available for you.

Reply 71 of 71, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the all times best given advice is from the movie "Scent of a woman", when Al Pacino is going to New York with Chris O'Donnell, and before he goes, he took his cat Tomster, and told him : "Remember, when You're in doubt - F..k"!!!!! Is there any better way to get rid of anxiety? Please, let me know! 😀