VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I thought the point of forums was to express one's opinion and start debates.... 😕 Yet my thread gets closed.....why? I just finished stating it wasn't an o/s flam war or bait and was meant to get people to talk about the childish debates that exist on the internet.

Instead it gets closed and a mod shows his "power" by giving his opinion afer it was closed so that I could not come up with a counter-arguement... 🙄 Riiiight.....you've simply proven me right my friend.

Well I certainly realize why I created my own forum again....to avoid such childish things. No attack meant to qbix, he only did his job (albeit I got no response as to why it was closed) but mr Minimax...why did you berate me and call me an amateur yet won't allow me the pleasure of argueing said point? 😦

...whatever..close this one as well if you like....I know this is yet another place on the web where I can't express myself. Goodbye...

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought MiniMax's "getting the last word" was silly, but so was your post that was obviously trolling (unless you expect everyone to agree with you...)

Reply 2 of 10, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trolling? 😕 Ok maybe my last sentence was forthcoming but it was only meant to stop any o/s heated flames.

I wasn't debatng the best o/s, I was asking your opinion on the internet's strange obsession with having "one o/s to rule them all" and yelling at those who disagree with one's choice.

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I closed it in the hope to prevent a war. (your post seemed like a plain war statement (for example the last line).)

I can't control moderator actions though.
They have my full support.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

For your information - for everyones information - the thread was not closed when I started composing my reply to avatar_58. It was only after I pressed "Submit" and the thread was updated, that I noticed that Qbix had closed the thread.

Should I have deleted my reply? Perhaps I should, but that is too late now.

As for calling you an amateur, well... I did not really call *you* an amateur, did I? All I said was that you had fallen into the same trap as 99.99% of the happy amateurs. Even professionals make an error once in a while (and add it to their resumé calling it "vast experience").

Are you an amateur or a professional? Are you working with computers for a living? If not, are you then an amateur or a professional? You tell me.

Personally, I claim to be a professional when it comes to computers. I have owned, used and worked with virtually all kinds of computers, operating systems, and interfaces that have graced this industry for 25 years. And if there is one thing I have learned, then it is that nothing is forever. What today is hailed as the most advanced system, OS, or GUI, will be completely forgotten by the masses in 10 year, with only small groups of retro-people huddling in forums like this, re-living things of the past.

That's all there is to it. Go use whatever OS, GUI or shell you like, as long as you give the same option - to go and use whatever command line I like.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I will take a Twinkie, please....

Reply 9 of 10, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yes, I'm in college for the topic in question as well as coming out of a tech job. Does that make me a pro? Not really, but I'm certianly no amature having worked with pc's my whole life as well as it being my focus for a future career.

I seriously think my post was taken the wrong way.....I have posted this on a few other boards and no one seems to have taken it as hard as this place...🙁 It wasn't meant to jab at anyone or any O/S but to imply that people are far to opinionated about their "choice" and preach like they are doing the world a favour. I also can't help but wonder if you comments would have been the same had I not said which o/s I used.....but then again thats how things always are on the internet. Whats worse is that these attitudes are not forum-bound.....everytime I read eweek articles or carouse interesting reviews they are always coloured to one o/s choice and speak out against the opposite choices ( a tiger review will always compare to a windows or kde style gui...)

I just think this kind of thing is childish....why can't we all get along? 🙁 Oh well....I guess as long as we have a choice there will always be fanatical followers and zealots...

Reply 10 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually your point was valid. In fact, my reaction was that your point goes without saying, so I couldn't see what possible direction you could expect a discussion to take other than turning all the zealots loose on each other...

OSes are just like religions these days - people use them as a way to identify themselves as belonging to some group. Unfortunately they often use this identity as a basis for attacking other people for no reason other than that they have different preferences/beliefs/whatever.

At any rate, things like these tend to be touchy subjects and are best avoided in open forums 😉