VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was searching for a particular file and found a publicly accessible FTP with lots of software and drivers. I only grabbed a couple of things but there may be a few useful bits there for someone's collection.

ftp.dyu.edu.tw

The drivers directory is at /pub/Hardware/vendor.

Reply 3 of 27, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another more recent list here: Link Repository for Vintage PC Driver\Documentation Archives, FTPs, Websites

I ran across this FTP server last week looking for S3 drivers but couldn't connect so assumed the FTP server was gone. Turns out I just can't connect from my house - I can connect just fine from my little VPS in California. No idea what's up with that but certainly handy to know its still there!

Reply 5 of 27, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't access it either - if its been offline for a while I guess they may have turned it off permanently. Thats a pain - I really should have mirrored it back when it was up but my VPS has limited disk space which made getting stuff from it awkward. I did mirror around 2.1GB of stuff from /pub/Hardware/vendor which you can browse here: https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.dyu.edu … ardware/vendor/

Reply 6 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidrg wrote on 2022-12-29, 04:26:

I can't access it either - if its been offline for a while I guess they may have turned it off permanently. Thats a pain - I really should have mirrored it back when it was up but my VPS has limited disk space which made getting stuff from it awkward. I did mirror around 2.1GB of stuff from /pub/Hardware/vendor which you can browse here: https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.dyu.edu … ardware/vendor/

Thank you for mirroring what you did.

Man, I'm really sad that the rest of it is gone.

So frustrating when stuff like this goes down. I understand that someone somewhere has to pay for the hosting and bandwidth, but it just seems so short sighted to shut down 30 year old FTP archives without mirroring them elsewhere. Does Archive.org have a process for backing up an FTP?

Also, is there any remote possibility that anyone here has some kind of connection with Da-Yeh University or anyone who may have attended? It's possible the archive is still stored somewhere and was just taken offline.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh my goodness... I just realized I have nearly 10GB of files from the "Vendor" and "Stuff" folders from this FTP that I downloaded back in 2020. I believe that's where most of the useful downloads were. 😮 😮 😮

I probably just used a "website downloader" to get it, so I would imagine that it contains everything that wasn't a dead link.

Wow. What should I do with it?

Reply 8 of 27, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-08, 16:37:

Oh my goodness... I just realized I have nearly 10GB of files from the "Vendor" and "Stuff" folders from this FTP that I downloaded back in 2020. I believe that's where most of the useful downloads were. 😮 😮 😮

I probably just used a "website downloader" to get it, so I would imagine that it contains everything that wasn't a dead link.

7-zip it into a multi-part archive, then upload the parts to an Archive.org account. I'll look into hosting it, but the format I'd consider would be an HTTP directory open to all, but I will have to throttle the speed and set a monthly quota.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2023-02-08, 16:57:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-08, 16:37:

7-zip it into a multi-part archive, then upload the parts to an Archive.org account. I'll look into hosting it, but the format I'd consider would be an HTTP directory open to all, but I will have to throttle the speed and set a monthly quota.

I haven't done anything with multi-part archives since the dial-up days with .rar files.

What size should the parts be for convenience?

Reply 11 of 27, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Multi-part files are most useful when you're downloading a large file using a protocol that doesn't support checksum and resume, like Torrents. It doesn't matter a smich with Internet speeds nowadays. In the rare event that something does go wrong, you can always just download it again.

It was more of a thing in the past when it could take days to download something. If you found a part that was corrupt, you would only have to redownload that one part.

Reply 12 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-08, 17:35:

Multi-part files are most useful when you're downloading a large file using a protocol that doesn't support checksum and resume, like Torrents. It doesn't matter a smich with Internet speeds nowadays. In the rare event that something does go wrong, you can always just download it again.

It was more of a thing in the past when it could take days to download something. If you found a part that was corrupt, you would only have to redownload that one part.

Right. As mentioned, I used to deal with multi-part .rar files back in the dial-up days.

Those were not good times for downloading files.

*shudder*

People who weren't PC enthusiasts 20+ years ago just don't understand how different things were before broadband. The intense frustration and eventual aneurysm inducing anguish from waiting for a "large" file to download at less than 1KB\sec from a slow server... only to have it simply stop downloading or be corrupt by the time it finishes. And during that time you cannot make or receive phone calls at home on that line. I remember many multi-day downloads just to get programs. Our terrible connection at my home meant that we only connected at 24.6kbps (that's kilo bits) on a 56k modem up until we got cable internet (768kbps) in the early 2000s. And this was in a home of PC enthusiasts that did games, online sales, websites and graphics work on their computers.

We're very very spoiled now. 😀

Reply 13 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does archive.org support in-file browsing of multipart zip/7z files? If not then it's not worth it in my opinion.

One of the best features of archive.org is that you can download individual files inside a zip/iso/7z file

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2023-02-08, 18:12:

Does archive.org support in-file browsing of multipart zip/7z files? If not then it's not worth it in my opinion.

One of the best features of archive.org is that you can download individual files inside a zip/iso/7z file

Yeah, I'll probably just upload a single zip when I get a chance. My upload speed is only about 15mbps if I remember correctly, so it will still take a while on my connection.

Reply 15 of 27, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want you can also upload it to ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/incoming with an FTP client or rsync (ftp.zx.net.nz::incoming) and I'll see if I can make it available alongside what I've already got archived. Or I can pull it from archive.org once its uploaded there.

Edit: ftp.zx.net.nz is back online (13:00 UTC+13)

Reply 16 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2023-02-08, 18:12:

I finally got around to uploading this. It is available here:
https://archive.org/details/ftp.dyu.edu.tw_pub

I had read that the ability to browse and download files from inside 7z archives could sometimes be problematic, so I opted to use .zip for that reason, despite the nearly 3GB file size difference. It's far more likely that people will browse the files online than download the entire archive anyway.

Though, honestly, I'm not 100% sure if archive.org will show all 11,000 files within the zip. I looked at the list, but I'm not about to go counting them. 😀

As a super cool bonus, you can easily search this list of files in your browser, so if you're looking for an obscure file name it's very simple to search for all or part of it (in case it was renamed) via that screen.

Reply 17 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure I have a full download of that ftp... I'll have to check when I am home... If I remember.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-24, 22:05:

Pretty sure I have a full download of that ftp... I'll have to check when I am home... If I remember.

Would not surprise me if you also had a copy of it. 😁

Depending on when you made the copy, I'd be curious to know if the contents were any different than the one I made. There were several empty folders when I downloaded the vendor and stuff folders in 2020.

Reply 19 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in 2018 I downloaded the whole /drivers directory of that site:

5YRjApq.png

b9g1LTG.png

total size is on the 15GB mark - is this more from what is already archived for the /drivers directory?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website