VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya!

As the title mentions I'm looking to install a few of the games I used to play on XP but required steam at the time to install them.

My main struggle at the moment is finding something that is safe to unpack .sis and .sid I have done countless searches to find trustable extractors and unpackers but they don't seem to exist (that I can find anyway).

One game I am trying to install to do from a disc at the moment is the first release of Skyrim, I know it's quite a late game in XP's life but this is more of a personal nostalgia thing for me as I still had a PC that used XP as I preferred it. I don't even know if it's possible either but thought I'd try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you 😀

Edit: trying to avoid steam if possible and unpack files from cd/dvd

Last edited by NatoPotato on 2022-05-15, 09:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to avoid Steam client, just hack or download the game you know where. Better that trying to install unpatched Bugrim from disks.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can probably use sisinstall to unpack the game from disc but it's likely more trouble than it's worth, do the following instead:
Don't ask for where to find sisinstall or steamless here.

For the original version of Skyrim:
1. Install the game on Steam on a OS supported by Steam
2. Run steamless on the Skyrim and Skyrim launcher executable to remove the steam requirement
3. Copy the game and executables to XP
4. Change the below location to where skyrim is and import the registry on the XP machine.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim]
"installed path"="E:\\Skyrim\\"
5. Play the game

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-05-15, 10:12:
You can probably use sisinstall to unpack the game from disc but it's likely more trouble than it's worth, do the following inst […]
Show full quote

You can probably use sisinstall to unpack the game from disc but it's likely more trouble than it's worth, do the following instead:
Don't ask for where to find sisinstall or steamless here.

2. Run steamless on the Skyrim and Skyrim launcher executable to remove the steam requirement
4. Change the below location to where skyrim is and import the registry on the XP machine.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim]
"installed path"="E:\\Skyrim\\"
5. Play the game

Thank you very much for your help, this seems like a much easier way of getting it done than dealing with sisinstaller. I'll give it a shot and see how I go. I have a fair few games that I used to play on my xp machine back in the day and sure, I could run them on my modern machine, but that's not fun!

Reply 8 of 11, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-05-15, 10:12:
For the original version of Skyrim: 1. Install the game on Steam on a OS supported by Steam 2. Run steamless on the Skyrim and S […]
Show full quote

So i managed to get everything running, but for some reason the launcher crashes upon startup, with a send/don't send error report, so I am unable to change any settings and I am stuck running it in a tiny window as well.

My workaround was using the settings on my main PC from the ini file and copying that over to the XP machine, this allowed me to launch the game in full-screen and with preset graphics settings. Though it would be nice to be able to use the launcher and change settings on the fly if required.

Any idea what might be causing this or is this just something that "it is what it is" when using steamless?

Thank you so much again, this has been so helpful!

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The launcher can crash for various reasons. If you don't want to use a different configuration program like notepad,Bethini or the like you can try installing the older ver of the visual c++ 2010 redist in the vcredist folder.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't retail Skyrim a GFWL game? BTW it's technically not XP era. Skyrim released in 2011 november and XP mainstream support ended as well as Win7 released in 2009.

Edit:
Oh, yes it seems it was GFWL, but required Steam too.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 11 of 11, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-05-16, 04:06:

The launcher can crash for various reasons. If you don't want to use a different configuration program like notepad,Bethini or the like you can try installing the older ver of the visual c++ 2010 redist in the vcredist folder.

Thank you again so much for the help, I am happy to just edit the ini file in notepad rather than messing further, just glad it's all running 😀

RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-16, 05:50:

Wasn't retail Skyrim a GFWL game? BTW it's technically not XP era. Skyrim released in 2011 november and XP mainstream support ended as well as Win7 released in 2009.

I know it technically isn't but I still had XP at the time it was released, I'm just doing it to chase that nostalgia high ya know? hahaha