VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a media setup in my bedroom (TV, etc.), but no computer.

I've got a decent-sized Steam library I'd like to be able to use on my bedroom setup.

In the past I tried my nVidia Shield TV for gaming, but never really took to it. It's too underpowered for native gaming. GeForce streaming from my primary gaming PC worked ok, but not all games are supported and there is a bit of lag. I also tried using Steam streaming, but found it laggier than the GeForce option.

I'm thinking of buying something like an MSI Trident 3 for dedicated gaming on my bedroom TV.

Does anyone here use a console-style PC on a TV setup for gaming? Any issues with it? Is Windows 10 usable on a TV set without a dedicated keyboard and mouse?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 2, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-06-08, 20:12:
I have a media setup in my bedroom (TV, etc.), but no computer. […]
Show full quote

I have a media setup in my bedroom (TV, etc.), but no computer.

I've got a decent-sized Steam library I'd like to be able to use on my bedroom setup.

In the past I tried my nVidia Shield TV for gaming, but never really took to it. It's too underpowered for native gaming. GeForce streaming from my primary gaming PC worked ok, but not all games are supported and there is a bit of lag. I also tried using Steam streaming, but found it laggier than the GeForce option.

I'm thinking of buying something like an MSI Trident 3 for dedicated gaming on my bedroom TV.

Does anyone here use a console-style PC on a TV setup for gaming? Any issues with it? Is Windows 10 usable on a TV set without a dedicated keyboard and mouse?

I built a system around the Antec Black Fusion Remote (micro-ATX case) almost a decade ago.

(An online pic, just to give you an idea:)
Antec.jpg

The idea was to build an HTPC for the dining room/living room TV. Main purpose being watching Youtube, movies/series and some casual gaming. The nice thing about it is that people think it is a hi-fi system when they see it.

The hardware is now a bit outdated (FM2 A8 APU, R9 270, 16GB DDR3). I am considering updating it to a budget Ryzen setup, but no hurries at all, since it does what it is supposed to do ok (when I use it for gaming, it is mainly Retropie but it also handles xbox360/PS3 era games comfortably).

I could never configure its display to behave as intended on gnu/linux though.

About the mouse keyboard issue, I went with a wireless Logitech k360 combo (which is still working ok). Wired Xbox360 pads when needed. Edifier M1380 is in charge of the sound.

Reply 2 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-06-08, 20:48:

The idea was to build an HTPC for the dining room/living room TV. Main purpose being watching Youtube, movies/series and some casual gaming. The nice thing about it is that people think it is a hi-fi system when they see it.

I used to have a similarish HTPC back when I had a proper HT. Although once I adopted more compact media players, I found myself using the HTPC far less.

It would be nice to have something new for gaming though.

About the mouse keyboard issue, I went with a wireless Logitech k360 combo (which is still working ok). Wired Xbox360 pads when needed. Edifier M1380 is in charge of the sound.

For seated I can see using a wireless keyboard/mouse, but for sitting or lying in bed I'm not sure if that would work as well?

I think ideally I'd want something I can control via remote and/or gamepad. Basically like a traditional games console.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards