Common searches

PCIe RAM Disk - TAKE MY MONEY!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 32, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gigabyte I-RAM was quite interesting back then, as at that time (around 2005-2006) high speed SSD (and NVMe) was not yet a thing.

Don't know if the RAM drive OP mentioned can use registered memory, as these are relatively cheaper per GB compared to the unbuffered counterparts and are available in higher capacity.

But still, it won't be of too much use unless you're having issues with ImDisk (or other RAM disk utilities). There indeed are cases where ImDisk's RAM disk won't work as intended, but some can be worked around by making your default TEMP path a symlink to the RAM disk rather than pointing your TEMP path to the RAM disk directly.

Reply 22 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-17, 03:40:

Yo dawg I heard you needed memory so I put a swapfile in yo RAM so you can use RAM to get more RAM.

🤣😂🤣

Hey, some of us plebians have motherboard ram limits..

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like they have a new version, which uses ddr3 dimms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZx-qaYgl8

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 25 of 32, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Should have been that from the start. But gotta sell overpriced RAM boards to crazy Chia miners, right?
2) Too little too late.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you'll just have to wait for the pcie v4 version.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 27 of 32, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-06-15, 18:54:

It's hard to express that an Atari ST with TOS in EPROM reacts quicker than a modern Ryzen with 16 cores and an NVME SSD:
If you press a key on an Atari ST, the character is faster displayed on screen than on a modern high-end PC.

Is that literally true? I know nothing about the low level workings of integrated circuits, so maybe the reasons for the situation you describe are obvious, but can you explain it to me, please? It does seem impossible that a mid 1980s home computer could do *anything* faster than a modern half-decent computer could. Let alone update the TV screen quicker than a modern PC could update it's monitor image.

Reply 28 of 32, by eton975

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-12-08, 20:44:

It's hard to express that an Atari ST with TOS in EPROM reacts quicker than a modern Ryzen with 16 cores and an NVME SSD:
If you press a key on an Atari ST, the character is faster displayed on screen than on a modern high-end PC.

Is that literally true? I know nothing about the low level workings of integrated circuits, so maybe the reasons for the situation you describe are obvious, but can you explain it to me, please? It does seem impossible that a mid 1980s home computer could do *anything* faster than a modern half-decent computer could. Let alone update the TV screen quicker than a modern PC could update it's monitor image.

It certainly can be. All you need is a simple interrupt service routine on the old computer to process keyboard input and feed it to the probably very tightly coded application (if there is a separate OS at all). On a modern PC, it has to go through the USB stack and various software layers to reach the point where it gets displayed. Dan Lu wrote an article on this topic.

Reply 29 of 32, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eton975 wrote on 2022-12-09, 03:12:

It certainly can be. All you need is a simple interrupt service routine on the old computer to process keyboard input and feed it to the probably very tightly coded application (if there is a separate OS at all). On a modern PC, it has to go through the USB stack and various software layers to reach the point where it gets displayed. Dan Lu wrote an article on this topic.

PS/2 keyboards use interrupts, so it should also be handled by interrupt service routines. On the other hand, USB keyboards are opposite: The CPU needs to actively poll the USB stack to see if the USB keyboard has any commands. The USB polling rate is usually 125Hz (8ms) but some high end keyboards can do 1000Hz or more.

It's more about the complexity of the system software, that makes things feel less responsive despite having more processing power. It's not just about keyboard input -- this affects every aspect of the modern system. Old systems are much simpler. Simple, well-coded systems that take as few steps as possible to get the work done, can be considered really "real-time", and they will certainly react faster than modern, complex ones in some aspects.

Reply 30 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-12-08, 20:44:

Yes. It has to do with response time (latency).
Modern PCs have a high throughput (MB/s, GB/s etc) but also many layers between applications and the hardware.

While, say, an Atari ST as such is much slower than a modern PC, applications and hardware are much closer to each other.
Many of the "drivers" are part of the firmware (BIOS) already.

For example, the Atari ST's operating system, TOS (CP/M 68000 and GEM), is located directly in memory (in the EPROMs), there's no need to load system files from HDD first (extra drivers for HDD, CD etc can be loaded from floppy/HDD, however).

A keypress generates an interrupt, is handled by the keyboard routine, the scan code is being recognized, then sent to application/drawn on screen.

A modern PC has much more intermediate steps.
A keypress is noticed by the controller chip in the USB keyboard; the USB controller itself is being polled by the PC in a certain interval; the scan code is transmitted via USB protocol, handled by the Windows HID driver, handled by Windows kernal, handled by Win32 API, is then sent into a queue, arrives at the application, is then handled by the composition manager and/or drawn to screen via the Windows graphics drivers.

^This is just a vague description, in reality it might be a bit different.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

according to this they now have a pcie 4.0 x8 DDR4 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2ElmyvOmo

Do not ask Why !

Reply 32 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a design for an ISA RAM disk with battery backup in one of the 80s/90s electronics magazines. The problem with making it though is it required a custom programmed PIC, which is unavailable and the code was on a BBS that's been offline since the mid 90s. I have it brainmarked as one of those "IF boredom > 99 AND Ambition > 99 THEN grok design, modernise and convert it to Atmel microcontroller.."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.