VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover, I can't seem to upload a new custom avatar. It goes to a blank screen after I hit submit, then when I go back to my profile screen I see nothing for my avatar in Mozilla or a broken picture icon in IE.

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great, a new bug. >.>
I really have no idea how to track this one down, it displayed a blank page during local file upload but server-to-server upload fails too (but shows a success page). No errors in the error log.
There was IIRC some sort of security vulnerability in the avatar handling stuff in phpBB, the patch for the latest version of phpBB probably broke it. Doing diffs between non-modded phpBB and this forum isn't showing anything obvious.

Edit: Apparently avatars directory needs 777 chmod even though phpsuexec is active...weird since it worked before...fixed now.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember about 3 years ago trying to get PHP to run as an Apache module - it never ended up working that way. Wouldn't it be better for it to run that way if it could?

Reply 5 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No; when PHP is run as a module, it is run under the uid and gid of Apache, which means that A. files would need to be chmod'd a+w to be readable by the Apache user (or have Apache run as root, which is a Bad Thing(tm)), and by extension, all users would be able to modify the files of other users (even if PHP is locked down with open_basedir, there are ways of working around this).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because it's muuuuuch faster, and if you're not running multiple sites on the same server, there's no need for the isolation. (All the Web files would just be owned by the Apache user.)

Yes, it’s my fault.