VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've waited long enough. I have an order in for an MSI 3090 Ti SUPRIM, but I chose a slow shipping option. As prices keep falling, I've been able to cancel and reorder. I saved another $100, so far.

EDIT: I've locked in another $50 in savings. Prices have bounced back up just a little since then.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-08-13, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 84, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy enough with the integrated graphics on the NUC6i7kyk, honestly...

I'd only really look into getting discrete cards for the purpose of building a separate machine to handle a very detailed "v-tuber" avatar.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 84, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just going to continue as usual. People keep throwing me their "Junk" computers, and then I end up souping them up and using them for 7-10 years or more. I spend nothing on GPUs.

If were to build a new system though, it'd just be ripping out that Intel Socket LG775 Desktop Board and P8800 Core 2 Duo from "Beige Beast" (InWin D500 mATX Desktop) and throwing a Core i7 with 16GB of DDR4 in there, and then throwing Windows/Linux Dual-Boot on there sharing data off the same 3TB HDD.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8 of 84, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My graphics card is aging and though I don't need much more performance than it already has, I'll probably an RX6600 or 7600 XT. Even the former more than doubles my performance without a TDP increase.

But currently it's not at the top of my list.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 9 of 84, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will grab an RX6600 if I find one for $250

Last edited by appiah4 on 2022-08-13, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 84, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a gaming laptop for the first time this year. The prices for desktop GPUs was super insane and I needed a personal laptop anyway. I think I'll buy gaming laptops from now on. The price to performance ratio is a little worse, but the power consumption and noise and foot print is so much better. I can't justify a 600+ watt power budget for a GPU with a 250+ watt power budget for the CPU heating up my house or home office - each needing a massive air cooler (to still thermal throttle) or an expensive custom water loop with a ton of maintenance.

I paid 2000$ for my laptop and I have about 60% of the performance of the highest end desktop at maybe 30% the power consumption and physical foot print. I'll skip the next generation and upgrade again in maybe three or four years.

Reply 11 of 84, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll continue to use the cheap second hand solutions I have or find even very old GPUs. I'm not into modern PC gaming since so much time that the only needs of GPU speed or feature might be eventually to offload generic everyday home/office CPU tasks. But anyway that would still be limited to each single GPU generation when for example a new video codec is released and the old GPU get useless for browsers, encoding, decoding. So I only care about basic OpenGL apps requirements and much more about final power demand at the wall. At the end any Core2 Duo or Quad config could still be enough usable and eventually some GT610, 210, GTX 650, HD4650 I can use to have a "vga display card" still working in some o.s. configs.

Reply 12 of 84, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-08-12, 20:41:

Gaming is a very expensive hobby.

Every time I see prices for gaming graphics cards I personally feel happy that I'm not a gamer. Geez, my whole laptop costs less ...

You can always buy late Hardware...Like Grab 2015 Stuff...HIGH END Stuff of that Time you are paying like 100€ for a Perfect Running PC and can Enjoy evry game of the time and before...Gaming gets just expensiv if you want THE BEST! RIGHT NOW!!!!! Otherwise its cheap.

Reply 14 of 84, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although I have upgraded everything around it (5600x, 16GBs 3600, Samsung 980). Still using my RX480 that I bought on launch...6 years ago now? Longest I've EVER used a card and it still does everything I need. I don't play triple A games, heck, I barely play anything anymore. War Thunder would be the heaviest. Been wanting to get back into modded skyrim/fallout 3.

Reply 15 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only if my 1050 dies. Otherwise I don't see any reason to upgrade it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 84, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well ... I was sort of in the market for a gpu say 2 years ago. You could get a gtx 1660 for about 200$. I held off. Seems a nice Asus card is about 230$ now. But that's sort of old news. An rtx 2070 is around 400$, and I ain't paying that anytime soon.

I bought 2 mining motherboards and 4 mining gpu's about 2 years ago. Never mined anything or even contempkated it (much anyway). All of it was very cheap. It all had significant value, but not anymore. The gpu's could likely be converted to gtx 1060s. So I may try that one of these days and be happy.

Reply 19 of 84, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-08-12, 19:32:

If I can manage I'll grab a 4090 or 4090ti as soon as they drop.

You might need a new 1200 watt PSU to power them beasts.

That aside, I have a 3080ti that I find hard to use its full power, even recent games are hard pressed to use it fully unless I abuse RT without DLSS, but for pure raster stuff .. nothing comes close to being able to saturate the processing power of modern GPUs.

Next gen Ill be going AMD with their MCM GPU, nVidia is pushing 900watt Halo GPUs as their answer to more GPU power, AMD is going with MCM instead leveraging their chiplet and fabric tech for GPUs. I thought the 3000 series was bad for power draw but the 4000 series is going to be worse and the last thing my PC needs is a 900watt GPU in it.

Why do I say 900watts . .because I dont believe in buying low/midrange GPUs, If im going to drop a bundle of cash on a GPU I may as well do it right and get something as close to the top as I can and then not have to worry about it again for 5+ years. Its not future proofing but rather knowing that no matter what game hits the scene in that 5 years my GPU will have more than enough power to play it decently.