VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 84, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-08-17, 20:00:
Kallestofeles wrote on 2022-08-17, 19:21:

On a similar note - greetings from Estonia... we just had the legendary electricity spike of 4EUR per KWH.🙇‍♂️

Greetings from Romania! But... damn, man! And to think that I was complaining about paying now 0.62 lei (~ 0.13EUR)/kWh, when a year ago I was paying 0.24 lei (~0.04EUR)/kWh.
I promise I won't complain anymore... 😁

Thats not the customer Prices, he talks about the Spike for companys which sells energy. Most in Estonia pay arround 0,20-0,25€ per kW/h
In Germany Prices Increased from 0,32€ to 0,45€ per kW/h but some Areas are paying much more like closer to 0,90€ kW/h.
Not Companys iam speaking about Customers.

Just Incase youre wondering YEAH germany went from Cheaper Energy Prices to WTF is happening.
https://www.electricrate.com/data-center/elec … ces-by-country/

Reply 62 of 84, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I too am using a GTX 1060 6GB as my "gaming card", but I have a small pile of other recent Nvidia GPUs from the 1000-series that also serve as suitable GPUs for low-end gaming. The only real upgrade I'm waiting on is installing a big secondary SSD (4-8TB) so that I can download some of my massive Steam library and stop using the main m.2 SSD.

Reply 63 of 84, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup I got a 3060Ti coming for my wife's computer she deserves more than a 1050Ti. I built her a sweet Xeon X58 build back in March but had to reuse the 1050Ti as gpus were out of stock and out of reach price wise.

Reply 65 of 84, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-15, 05:31:

That aside, I have a 3080ti that I find hard to use its full power, even recent games are hard pressed to use it fully unless I abuse RT without DLSS, but for pure raster stuff .. nothing comes close to being able to saturate the processing power of modern GPUs.

Try connecting that to an 8k TV 😀

Reply 66 of 84, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2022-08-20, 14:21:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-15, 05:31:

That aside, I have a 3080ti that I find hard to use its full power, even recent games are hard pressed to use it fully unless I abuse RT without DLSS, but for pure raster stuff .. nothing comes close to being able to saturate the processing power of modern GPUs.

Try connecting that to an 8k TV 😀

I’ll try finding an 8k TV here for a not stupid price….

Wait I don’t think they exist 😁

Reply 68 of 84, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So what is your criteria for buying a new.gpu (is that proper grammer? I've lost my ability to discern. Possibly due to inhalation of art paint fumes). If it's keeping up with the Jones', just walk away. Kindly beat it. Do people actually use specific stats, features, whatever when making a purchase? Or is it simply a matter of setting a price point, and buying the most they can get for it? Is it the ability to play a specific game/s? Apparently people are still using gpu's for mining, which, as I understand it is not as profitable as purchasing an antminer. Is that a criteria?

I need vehicles. Am tapped out with buying hobby stuff for the time being. Ebay now wants my birthday and part of my ssn to sell stuff, and I have a lot of stuff to sell. I'll have to find other ways to sell my crappola. Need money. Won't be buying a GPU too soon. The absolute upper limit would be 300$ US assuming I would buy now. Not. But want to hear what people are in it for.

Reply 70 of 84, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-27, 07:33:

So what is your criteria for buying a new.gpu (is that proper grammer? I've lost my ability to discern. Possibly due to inhalation of art paint fumes). If it's keeping up with the Jones', just walk away. Kindly beat it. Do people actually use specific stats, features, whatever when making a purchase? Or is it simply a matter of setting a price point, and buying the most they can get for it? Is it the ability to play a specific game/s? Apparently people are still using gpu's for mining, which, as I understand it is not as profitable as purchasing an antminer. Is that a criteria?

I need vehicles. Am tapped out with buying hobby stuff for the time being. Ebay now wants my birthday and part of my ssn to sell stuff, and I have a lot of stuff to sell. I'll have to find other ways to sell my crappola. Need money. Won't be buying a GPU too soon. The absolute upper limit would be 300$ US assuming I would buy now. Not. But want to hear what people are in it for.

Here is a list of criteria I considered for the RTX 3090 TI.

• Priced dropped enough for me to make the purchase.
  • I did not want to buy one of these used.
  • It's the fastest RTX 30 series GPU - I want as high of framerate as possible while sacrificing as little eye candy as possible. I turn everything up, and then back down settings until 144fps with drops to 100 at a minimum; 120ish on average is good.
  • Between the 3090 Ti choices, the MSI is the best looking, is mounted with a 3-slot bracket, and includes a GPU stand.
  • RTX 30 series will be the last supported GPU for Windows 7.
  • I wanted it.
  • I could write this was the last GPU I ever buy, but who am I kidding? If a new Castlevania, Turok, or Tomb Raider game gets released, I'll probably have to upgrade once again! And I'm definitely looking forward to Robocopy: Rogue City in 2023, but I'm sure the Ti can handle it.

Reply 71 of 84, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My personal criteria to get a new GPU:
- Some games I have/want cannot run well on the current GPU (run well for me is whatever native resolution my monitor uses at constant 60fps, on medium settings).
- Cost effectiveness, meaning the price x performance ratio is good
- If my current system supports it (i.e. power supply, CPU will not bottleneck, etc)
I also tend to favor mid end GPUs, as high end ones consume too much power and space, not to mention the heat and noise they produce. My personal logic for it is that:
Low end GPUs: Cheap usage of current technology
Mid end GPUs: Good usage of current technology
High end GPU: Stretching current technology to its limits (meaning bigger, hotter and power hungry).

As for specs, I dont spend too much time comparing them, I just search for youtube videos of games I'm interested in running in that GPU as it gives a better idea on how they perform on each card.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 72 of 84, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm about to pull the plug on a 32-inch 1080P VRR monitor, so my 6GB GeForce 1060 will do just fine for now, since I don't play anything that has ray-tracing. Once RT becomes a normal thing or is added to a significant number of older games via mods or upgraded source ports, I will consider upgrading to the latest and greatest GPUs.

Reply 73 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually buy if 50% faster and less than $800 as long as the $800 is not super inflated and a shitty card....and if the games I play actually need a new card of course.
Currently building a living room PC so debating on putting my 3080 in there or buying a new card and putting it in there. Either way will need a new card since my next newest card is the 1080ti (which is in my test desktop) and the projector in my living room is 4k which depending on the game can be enough but I'd rather not have to fiddle with settings for when it isn't so new card it is.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 74 of 84, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-27, 07:33:

I bought the RTX2080 I have now because the price was finally decent and I wanted to play through the RTX version of Quake 2. It was a lot of fun replaying that game so the purchase was worthwhile.

Reply 77 of 84, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So is this really worth tje bother at this point?:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660- … &quicklink=true

218$ US. Same proce essentially as early 2020. Or whenever. Are cards like this boumd to come down soon? When is the next wabe of gpu's due?