Common searches

ebay enters the ashbin of history

Topic actions

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went to list an item yesterday. It's been years. I knew I'd have to give my bank info, didn't like that. But then they ask me for my d.o.b and last4 of my ssn. That's the utter last straw. I will never sell there again. And consequently I'll start buying elsewhere. This notiom of extra protection afforded.doesn't really amount to much. There are loads of bargains elsewhere. I've just had it. Done. Finito. Buh bye you ****ing shnorrers!

Incidentally Amazon, who I rarely ever bought from, due to tbeir eggeegious sins in the past, are starting to bug me with emails "you left something in your cart sweetness. Just reminding you". I really want to utterly ditch them aslo. Something needs to take it's place.

Meanwhile I have a crapload of vintage paraphenalia I need to move. Much is bulky. What to do?

Reply 1 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But then they ask me for my d.o.b and last4 of my ssn.

its because they charge state sales tax and report earnings to the IRS. They 110% don't want to.

Last edited by Snover on 2022-08-28, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 27, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok well sure I bet.

That doesn't change the fact that they've been upping and adding utterly retarded fees for ages now. I could give 2 squats what they do or don't want to do. They're doing it. But not to me. Never again.

The intention was never that the internet should be dominated by 3 screwed up corporations. It's supposed to geant freedom from the usual strictures. **** ebay and **** the goobermensch. They've just added another new HUGE set of fees and I ain't paying. Sayonara.

Everytime ebay added a new fee they always had their shills on their message boatd in essence saying (over and over) it's not a big deal. It's much the same now.

Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-08-28, 08:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 27, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever since they blocked communication and went to descriptive feedback moving listings up and down alongside the massive influx of foreign spam products in every category got me to quit selling because nobody seemed to find what I was selling anymore.

I was always low volume and close to 50/50 buy sell, not really worth the hassle

Reply 4 of 27, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Truth is I never had really any problems selling my crap. I guess people were looking for specific items and I had them. Rare and ecclectic.

It's strange how at times you can buy something on ebay for a good price and not long after sell it for a profit. I really only did that once. But prices wax and wane. Or whatever.

Reply 5 of 27, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I occasionally WOULD sell stuff on eBay to reach a wider market for items I can't sell locally, but can't. Ever since they did some changes to how payments work on the site around 2019 I haven't been able to list anything, all I get is a "We looked everywhere" message on otherwise blank page. And I'm clearly not the only one who is affected by this issue, though I have no idea how widespread this is. If you try to contact their support they don't reply, though someone apparently got an actual reply saying "we don't know what causes this and haven't been able to fix it"

Some have been able to get around it by ticking/unticking the require immediate payment option, but that doesn't work for me. Pretty great, pushing three years and they still can't fix it. Probably doesn't affect huge amount of people, but still kinda hilarious.

Reply 7 of 27, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2022 Ebay policy change relating to the SSN collection.

You could always sell your goods in forums like Amibay & Vcfed if you want to avoid fees.

It says on that Ebay page “once you reach $600 in sales”, but I have found it asks for it regardless of whether you reach that threshold.

Reply 8 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yay another ebay complaint thread. Thinking about setting up one thread for these instead of multiple annoying ones.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 27, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherf**kers cancelled me for being a customer in specific country under current situation.
Thought I'd just use different payment method (friend's PayPal, which will work), but I can't even update my shipping (and even registration) address (even to different country!) unless they consider it's no longer "uncool".
And they explain to me that all these things combined (even the Regiatration/Shipping Address crap) are not their fault-- instead, rhey were " forced" to do so as result of specific country's decision related to Payments! Are they even aware that Address and Payment method are two completely different things?
What's more, if I create new account (and lose all rating), it'd be required to prove my worth by providing actual passport data! I didn't choose even to be born to begin with.

Reply 10 of 27, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-08-28, 10:36:

Yay another ebay complaint thread. Thinking about setting up one thread for these instead of multiple annoying ones.

how about a complaint thread about ebay complaint threads? 😁

Reply 12 of 27, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to the club. I've been done with Ebay for at least 10 years, for exactly these problems. Can't even imagine selling there now. You're double-taxed, triple or quadrupled fee'd, and overall it's a miserable experience from all accounts. Those people who are so greedy or clueless will always buy and sell there, on both sides of the counter. These people will keep Ebay going forever, in the name of greed, graft, and scalpers worldwide. There will always be buyers with too much money and too much time on their hands to feed into Ebay's corrupt system and the octopus arms of the terrible sellers who will remain.

Ebay was pretty good from 1995 to ~2010, but since then, it's been a total shitshow.

Reply 13 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2022-08-28, 22:49:

Those people who are so greedy or clueless will always buy and sell there, on both sides of the counter.

I buy and sell on eBay, like the majority of people here I suspect. Some pretty low EQ posting going on at Vogons these days.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 27, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to sell a few things on eBay, but because of the $600 limit now imposed by the US of A at which point taxes are due, it doesn't make sense to sell there unless an actual business is established. If I'm going to be taxed for making money (if any), then I need to ensure proper deductions are in place for all the costs related to storage, shipping, fees, original purchase price, losses, inflation, depreciation, licenses, lawyers, etc. One day it will happen, but not now.

EDIT: I forgot about the hobby vs. business rule. I'd be taxed %15.3 in self-employment tax. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-08-29, 13:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 27, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-28, 23:38:

I'd like to sell a few things on eBay, but because of the $600 limit now imposed by the US of A at which point taxes are due, it doesn't make sense to sell there unless an actual business is established. If I'm going to be taxed for making money (if any), then I need to ensure proper deductions are in place for all the costs related to storage, shipping, fees, original purchase price, losses, inflation, depreciation, licenses, lawyers, etc. One day it will happen, but not now.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you're only obligated to pay tax on any profits made on a sale, not the whole sale amount. If you sell something for a loss, no tax. What I don't understand is how in the hell is the IRS going to determine the value of something you've had sitting on the shelf for decades, and whether or not you made any profit by selling it. I personally don't have receipts from 20 years ago. The whole thing is retarded and just another arm of the corrupt US government waging war against the middle class.

Reply 16 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-08-28, 10:36:

My thoughts exactly. 😁

More like another "Waaaaah! The mega-corporations of the world don't want to cater to meeeeee!" thread (seeing as Amazon has also been mentioned). 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 27, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-08-29, 07:57:

Still better than "sellers are asking waaay to much for retro gear" threads.

Well, nowadays they are actually do.

But it is a free market, and if there is someone crazy enough who is ready to pay $600 for PCMCIA sound card which warranty period expired before you've even was born, then why not! 🙂

Anyway, in most cases I personally simply avoid those sellers. But in every rule are exceptions and if I want something too much and have a budget for it, I simply buy and do not complain afterwards.

Reply 19 of 27, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2022-08-29, 05:13:
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-28, 23:38:

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you're only obligated to pay tax on any profits made on a sale, not the whole sale amount. If you sell something for a loss, no tax. What I don't understand is how in the hell is the IRS going to determine the value of something you've had sitting on the shelf for decades, and whether or not you made any profit by selling it. I personally don't have receipts from 20 years ago. The whole thing is retarded and just another arm of the corrupt US government waging war against the middle class.

Yep, only on profit. Best to have a business to ensure it is ONLY profits, if any, which are taxed.

I once got a gigantic bill from the IRS when selling on eBay one year because they thought I actually had a business. I was able to produce a stack of receipts to show I did not make money selling off my collection.

EDIT: I forgot about the hobby vs. business rule. I'd be taxed %15.3 in self-employment tax, but in my previous example they decided my hobby was a business! Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-08-29, 13:01. Edited 1 time in total.