VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really need to find a mouse that runs only at 125 hz and no higher, do I need to like, specifically search for mice that came out around the early days of USB? Are there any brands in particular that don't include USB controllers that try to request a polling rate other than 125 hz?

I'm tired of constantly running into "gaming mice" and other stuff that ends up requesting the full 1000 hz. And Linux is at 5.19 and the usb_xhci still ignores mousepoll module options, so I can't even force these 1000 hz mice to run at 125 hz instead.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zowie mice don't have any software and can switch polling rate by holding one or both side buttons while plugging in the mouse to a port. I have one of the FK1 series mice and they've been troublefree for me at @ 125hz.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 2 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the plus side, it's not a heavy mouse, there's no rubber coating and ergonomics are great, with a shape very similar to that of the classic WMO.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 3 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2022-09-01, 13:59:

Zowie mice don't have any software and can switch polling rate by holding one or both side buttons while plugging in the mouse to a port. I have one of the FK1 series mice and they've been troublefree for me at @ 125hz.

Now THAT sounds interesting, I never heard of a mouse that let's you switch polling rates just by holding down a series of buttons during plug-in.

I just found a custom kernel module that hackishly forces my current mouse to run at 125 hz by directly setting the interval in the hardware endpoint descriptor. Surprised this trick works, but I have to of course, manually rebuild the module everytime I update my kernel.

I'll probably try out this brand though, hacks are really not ideal even if for the most part it seems to be working I hoped it'd work.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard the original black version of the FK1 is out of production, but you can still find very similar models to this one. The differences are mostly on the shape and weight (to accommodate different hand sizes) but functionality wise they're still the same. The new versions come with an extra small button under the mouse to change polling rate, but I don't know whether you have to follow the same kind of procedure or it can be done on the fly. Either way its impossible to hit them accidentally and it's a solid, no frills mouse. My friend plays cs:go often and 3 years later his fk1 is still going strong.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

She might want a mouse that can have good tracking @ 1000hz without installing custom drivers yet can switch back to 125hz for use on a old PMMX or similar.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 7 of 8, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone should've said:

Gaming mouse allows you to change polling rate. I use my Razer Viper at 1000Hz on Windows 11 and 125Hz on same OS but for older games that need it (Turok, Grand Touring, etc). I also think there are options to save that setting in the mouse ROM so that in case you plug that mouse into a different OS (Linux, Win9X), you can automatically carry over the mouse setting in the ROM.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 8 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, but I don't have easy access to a Windows PC to "program" a "gaming mouse" to have the proper settings if it saves them, so getting either a old/budget mouse, or some of these that recognize the requested polling rate with some sort of button(s) held down during plugin are pretty ideal.

This hack I have in place will work until I eventually HAVE no choice but to replace this current mouse due to wear & tear, so I really appreciate suitable brands and models being made.

― Κυνικός Δράκων