VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-09-07, 14:38:
For 20 to 30-ish CAN$ you can get a power meter and measure actual power consumption when unit is running at full load (compress […]
Show full quote
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-07, 01:05:

I bought the Insignia U shaped AC because it's half the price of a Midea one. The guy at Best Buy said that it's made by Midea, but is cheaper because it doesn't have wifi.
I installed it today. It has been on for about 1 hour. My bedroom is at 77F now (82 before) so, this is very good. I hope my next hydro bill isn't $200! 🤣

For 20 to 30-ish CAN$ you can get a power meter and measure actual power consumption when unit is running at full load (compressor and fan(s) ). That should let you calculate what the worst case scenario for added cost might be. Or you could trust the spec sheet for the unit's power draw.

For reference, when I measured the consumption of my 8000 BTU window unit, the official specs matched very closely (actual draw was ever so slightly lower, probably within reasonable margin of error).

If you do get a power meter, make sure it takes into account power factor ( AFAIK, even the cheap ones do), this is important to measure actual power draw rather than apparent (calculating V*I is only meaningful on purely resistive or power factor corrected loads like moderns PC PSUs with PFC).

This is based on my understanding and experience, anyone please feel free to correct me if needed.

Mine is 8000 BTU as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much does your AC affect your hydro bill?

It would also be interesting to know the BTU capacities of @Steve's and @Sphere478's heat pumps, because one costs +200 to run while the other can be powered by solar! That's really cool - is your entire house powered by solar?

@CwF I had a small evaporative cooler many years ago. Two fans and 3L water tank. It couldn't cool my bedroom, but it did help me sleep when I put it on the bedside table.

Reply 21 of 26, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-08, 03:03:

@CwF I had a small evaporative cooler many years ago. Two fans and 3L water tank. It couldn't cool my bedroom, but it did help me sleep when I put it on the bedside table.

I have a real one, they go outside. Waterline, 3 panels, 1/2HP 2' squirrel fan, 25 years old. I can sit in the open porch opposite side of the house and feel it. They need to flow through to work well. They can give ~25F drop.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 22 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-08, 03:03:
Mine is 8000 BTU as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much does your AC affect your hydro bill? […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2022-09-07, 14:38:
For 20 to 30-ish CAN$ you can get a power meter and measure actual power consumption when unit is running at full load (compress […]
Show full quote
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-07, 01:05:

I bought the Insignia U shaped AC because it's half the price of a Midea one. The guy at Best Buy said that it's made by Midea, but is cheaper because it doesn't have wifi.
I installed it today. It has been on for about 1 hour. My bedroom is at 77F now (82 before) so, this is very good. I hope my next hydro bill isn't $200! 🤣

For 20 to 30-ish CAN$ you can get a power meter and measure actual power consumption when unit is running at full load (compressor and fan(s) ). That should let you calculate what the worst case scenario for added cost might be. Or you could trust the spec sheet for the unit's power draw.

For reference, when I measured the consumption of my 8000 BTU window unit, the official specs matched very closely (actual draw was ever so slightly lower, probably within reasonable margin of error).

If you do get a power meter, make sure it takes into account power factor ( AFAIK, even the cheap ones do), this is important to measure actual power draw rather than apparent (calculating V*I is only meaningful on purely resistive or power factor corrected loads like moderns PC PSUs with PFC).

This is based on my understanding and experience, anyone please feel free to correct me if needed.

Mine is 8000 BTU as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much does your AC affect your hydro bill?

It would also be interesting to know the BTU capacities of @Steve's and @Sphere478's heat pumps, because one costs +200 to run while the other can be powered by solar! That's really cool - is your entire house powered by solar?

I can't answer the question about cost because my rent includes electricity and heating (also electric) . Electricity where I live (Canadian province of Quebec) is pretty much the least expensive in North America, so it probably does not amount to all that much, cost wise (I am lucky on that front). The main reason for the restrictions on air conditioner power is to avoid overloading the building's infra.

The peak power draw of my previous 8000 BTU unit (LG 8017ER, AFAICR) was about 665 watts, what is yours (or the exact model of your unit) ? And, if you don't mind me asking, how much does power cost you per kilowatt-hour ?

Reply 24 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-08, 05:40:

This Insignia uses 720 W. I am currently paying about $0.11/kwh

Based on this handy online calculator https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/ … lectricity-cost , if you run at full blast 24/7 for a month (fan and compressor running all the time at max), it will cost 57.86$ per month :

Power consumption
720W

Energy price
0.11$ / kWh

Usage time
24 hours per day

Power consumed
525.96 kWh per month

Cost
57.86$ per month

Reply 26 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
65C02 wrote on 2022-09-09, 21:21:

Thanks Darry. I will be using it 10 or 12 hours a day max, so maybe $25/mo. I'm poor but even I can afford that! 🤣

If you live in a sunny, not too overcast climate, solar panels might really offset those costs.