VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 48, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-01-14, 13:53:

Hi-Octane runs pretty choppy on the original Pentiums (P54), but runs way too fast on my Pentium II system. Eventually I found DOSBOX to be the most ideal platform to run the game, since you can fine-tuning CPU cycles to run the game with ideal speed.

Hi-Octane runs perfectly smooth on a Pentium 90 in 320x200. Now if you want 640x480 that's another story... but it's the same as all the other SVGA games from this era (USNF etc.) - at the time no system was able to run them smoothly.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 21 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote on 2023-01-14, 14:01:

Hi-Octane runs pretty choppy on the original Pentiums (P54), but runs way too fast on my Pentium II system. Eventually I found DOSBOX to be the most ideal platform to run the game, since you can fine-tuning CPU cycles to run the game with ideal speed.

Hi-Octane runs perfectly smooth on a Pentium 90 in 320x200. Now if you want 640x480 that's another story... but it's the same as all the other SVGA games from this era (USNF etc.) - at the time no system was able to run them smoothly.

Ah, but we've been talking about 640x480 and above, haven't we? 😉 Low-resolution (320x200) texture-mapped 3D games run smoothly on first-,generation Pentiums, and I believe many of them also run pretty smooth on 486s as well. Well except Quake, of course.

Conversely, high resolution (640x480) 3D games without texture mapping, like TIE Fighter Collector's CD (1995) or A-10 Cuba! (1996) runs pretty well on the same Pentiums. The same goes if you play texture-mapped games like Jane's ATF with disabled textures.

While we're at it, how about the least demanding games of their respective era?

FIFA Soccer 96 comes to mind. It was released in September 1995, when Pentium Pro was just announced, and the fastest CPU in the market was Pentium 133 if I recall correctly. FIFA Soccer 96 is your typical texture-mapped, non-accelerated 3D games in 640x480 resolution, yet it runs smoothly on first-generation Pentiums. I was in the college during that time, and while I'm never into soccer games, it was the hottest PC game in the frat house. I remember a classmate of mine ran the game on his 486 DX4-100, and its frame rate was very playable.

FIFA-Soccer-96.gif
FIFA Soccer 96 in 640x480 resolution (picture isn't mine).

And I still don't understand why FIFA Soccer 96, a hi-res (640x480) non-accelerated, texture-mapped 3D game, runs very smoothly on first-generation Pentiums --the same Pentiums where Jane's ATF stutters when you play it in 640x480 and with all textures on. Were EA programmers that good at that time, or was it merely because FIFA Soccer 96's textures are sparse?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 48, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Software texture mapping techniques had only just been figured out and the abrash/barrett wisdom hasn't spread that far. You might notice some faster SVGA textured 3d games (i.e. Need for Speed) have either doubled some horizontal pixels or are very affine and have loose, jaggy perspective correction and don't do a lot of lookup table effects (translucent smokes/shadows etc = cpu lookups = video memory reads = fps ouch).

1995 did have Rebel Moon but that's a 3D accelerated OEM exclusive game with a really slow undocumented rasterizer, and for non-technical reasons, is a very cursed IP.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-01-15, 17:59:

Software texture mapping techniques had only just been figured out and the abrash/barrett wisdom hasn't spread that far. You might notice some faster SVGA textured 3d games (i.e. Need for Speed) have either doubled some horizontal pixels or are very affine and have loose, jaggy perspective correction and don't do a lot of lookup table effects (translucent smokes/shadows etc = cpu lookups = video memory reads = fps ouch).

Ah, now you've mentioned it. I remember playing NFS:SE on a P100 during that time, and I wondered why the frame rate was acceptable, unlike, say, Dawn Patrol with full textures. But until you mentioned it, I never really noticed those things. Quite clever trick, I say.

Another interesting case is Top Gun: Fire At Will, although probably not as clever as The Need For Speed you mentioned above, because the graphical compromise is annoyingly noticeable.

topgun-008.png
topgun-019.png
Top Gun: Fire At Will without superhi (above) and with (below).

The game runs at 640x480, yet the ground and sky textures seem to be grouped in clusters, that the sky and ground actually look like 320x200 resolution. I mean, take a look at the first picture above, when the pilot (me) was flying above sea. Note the very jagged sea and clouds, especially when compared to the much sharper image of the cockpit and HUD in the foreground. It is like slapping a 640x480 foreground on a 320x200 background. But of course, the frame rate is pretty smooth. Top Gun: Fire At Will runs smoothly and is very playable on systems where Jane's ATF stutters.

Top Gun: Fire At Will also has superhi option that make the background textures no longer clustered, as shown on the second picture above. But of course, the game play as slow as Jane's ATF in full details.

leileilol wrote on 2023-01-15, 17:59:

1995 did have Rebel Moon but that's a 3D accelerated OEM exclusive game with a really slow undocumented rasterizer, and for non-technical reasons, is a very cursed IP.

I remember hearing about the game somewhere, but never noticed something remarkable about it. Was there finally a 3D accelerator card fast enough to run the game smoothly?

And while we're at it, all the talks about 3D accelerated games with demanding requirements remind me of Ultima XI. I didn't play it immediately after the game was released, but I read articles about GeForce 2 owners cursing the game due to its pathetic frame rate, despite GeForce 2 was the fastest video card during that time.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 26 of 48, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Much to my surprise, Azrael's Tear ran quite smoothly in DOSBOX on my lowly Pentium M laptop during that time. Yes, I wasn't surprised when people ran Blood or Duke Nukem 3D smoothly in DOSBOX on Core 2 Duo CPU, but I didn't expect Pentium M is fast enough to run 640 x 480 texture mapped games in DOSBOX.

Yes, when I bought that game new I had a fairly decent gaming rig and it still struggled, especially in larger rooms, but it was playable. Strange, but interesting game.

Reply 27 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2023-01-16, 19:06:

Much to my surprise, Azrael's Tear ran quite smoothly in DOSBOX on my lowly Pentium M laptop during that time. Yes, I wasn't surprised when people ran Blood or Duke Nukem 3D smoothly in DOSBOX on Core 2 Duo CPU, but I didn't expect Pentium M is fast enough to run 640 x 480 texture mapped games in DOSBOX.

Yes, when I bought that game new I had a fairly decent gaming rig and it still struggled, especially in larger rooms, but it was playable. Strange, but interesting game.

Unfortunately I never finished the game. 😁 Yet I was amazed to see such smooth frame rate in DOSBOX. I also remember, I had two software synthesizer on my laptop during that time: one is Roland Virtual Sound Canvas, which I just bought from Ebay, and the other is Munt MT-32 emulator. Despite Azrael's Tear was released in 1996, its music sounds better with MT-32 than with GM.

And yes, the frame rate is very acceptable despite being run in DOSBOX, on a lowly Pentium M processor. The other SVGA texture-mapped game I played on the said laptop was Star Rangers, which ran pretty smooth, because space sims tend to be sparsely textured. Yet, Star Rangers was jerky whenever a big textured ship filled my cockpit's view, while Azrael's Tear didn't suffer from such jerkiness despite the entire view is textured.

Reply 28 of 48, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recall reading somewhere that the RTS game Supreme Commander consumed so much RAM, that it would sometimes crash on 32-bit Windows, and actually ran more stably on 64-bit Windows, even though it was a 32-bit game. The reason being that 32-bit Windows could only allocate up to 2GB RAM per application, whereas 64-bit Windows could allocate up to 4GB RAM per 32-bit application, the maximum amount of addressable memory in a 32-bit process.

Reply 29 of 48, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about Grand Prix Legends? It was definitely not my kind of game but I remember it being extremely demanding at the time. All Papyrus racing games were that way for the year they were released, and it got especially bad when they added rollover physics, which I believe started with GPL and was added a few years later to the Nascar series with Nascar 4.

... Though technically SODA Off-road had rollover physics as well back in 1997. That was a pretty demanding game too, despite the really basic graphics. I remember the process of having the AI "learn" your custom tracks took forever and I wondered if CPUs would ever be fast enough to get that done in a reasonable amount of time. It's also neat that it was published by Sierra and made good use of the Rendition Verite 1000, which was the chip on Sierra's one and only graphics card. No 3dfx Glide or D3D for that title.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 30 of 48, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with leileilol about System Shock. Any game that runs fine in it's base version should not be considered, and SS ran okay in VGA. I think of all the games leileilol listed, the #1 of them (IMO) is Strike Commander. It was highly anticipated, highly popular, and highly criticized for it's playability in the one and only resolution it ran in. It was responsible for a lot of system upgrades. But there are two other Origin games that I believe were worse. They weren't as popular, so that drops them down a bit in terms of exposure to the masses:
Pacific Strike and Cybermage. Pacific Strike only ran in VGA and it would be about 2 years before there was a system that could run it smoothly. It has a built-in framerate counter (SHIFT-F). Try it on your period correct hardware for yourself. IIRC, when I played it on my P200MMX, it struggled to maintain 30 fps consistently. There were graphical settings that needed downward adjustment until the Pentium II came out. As for Cybermage, it needed a P200 to run in VGA with a decent amount of framerate, and a 600Mhz PII to run in SVGA smoothly.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 31 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote on 2023-01-17, 22:59:

I recall reading somewhere that the RTS game Supreme Commander consumed so much RAM, that it would sometimes crash on 32-bit Windows, and actually ran more stably on 64-bit Windows, even though it was a 32-bit game. The reason being that 32-bit Windows could only allocate up to 2GB RAM per application, whereas 64-bit Windows could allocate up to 4GB RAM per 32-bit application, the maximum amount of addressable memory in a 32-bit process.

Ah yes, Supreme Commander! How can we forget about it? For years, the game has always been a ubiquitous benchmark for CPUs beyond its generation, the same way Crysis for GPUs beyond its generation.

Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-17, 23:45:

How about Grand Prix Legends? It was definitely not my kind of game but I remember it being extremely demanding at the time. All Papyrus racing games were that way for the year they were released, and it got especially bad when they added rollover physics, which I believe started with GPL and was added a few years later to the Nascar series with Nascar 4.

At which point the game become playable? GeForce 4? The best 3D accelerator in 1998 was Voodoo2 SLI IIRC.

For 1998 games, I would like to nominate Delta Force. It is Voxel, so no amount of 3D acceleration would help it. Fortunately, it runs flawlessly, out of the box, on Windows 7 64 bit. So despite it was quite demanding during its era, it has great 'forward compatibility', for lack of better terms.

main-qimg-70ae4c92c2951a7cedab8a9b2866e9f8-lq
Good thing it runs flawlessly on modern systems.

It was unlike, say, F-22 Lightning II or Armored Fist 2, that refuse to run on NT-based Windows sans emulation. Those games are not only demanding, but also have poor 'forward compatibility.' By the time we had hardware fast enough to run those, we still couldn't run those games, because the mainstream O/S has changed. I believe it is those games that drive us to build period overkill machines, like DOS-bootable Tualatin system. And unless you're building something really exotic like DOS-bootable Pentium 4, it is not really hard to do. But mainstream computer users may find it difficult, and then choose to give up those games instead.

I guess it is interesting to discern between most demanding games of their era and most demanding games of their era which are also plagued with poor forward compatibility.

... Though technically SODA Off-road had rollover physics as well back in 1997. That was a pretty demanding game too, despite the really basic graphics. I remember the process of having the AI "learn" your custom tracks took forever and I wondered if CPUs would ever be fast enough to get that done in a reasonable amount of time. It's also neat that it was published by Sierra and made good use of the Rendition Verite 1000, which was the chip on Sierra's one and only graphics card. No 3dfx Glide or D3D for that title.

This is interesting. A racing game where the player can build their own circuits, but AI cars stumbled on those circuits due to poor AI? I definitely have to try it! 🤣

clueless1 wrote on 2023-01-18, 00:14:

I agree with leileilol about System Shock.

I thought it was Maximus who said that, and the game in question is Hi-Octane. Small potatoes, though.

Any game that runs fine in it's base version should not be considered, and SS ran okay in VGA.

It becomes grey area for certain games though. Dawn Patrol has 320x200 resolution, but the game was heavily advertised in 640x400 resolution. In fact, it is one of the games that were implicitly highlighted as 'the first SVGA games' in various computer game magazines. The same goes with US Navy Fighters, F-22 Lightning II, and Top Gun: Fire At Will. Those run fine in their base resolution of 320x200, but I doubt gamers bought them to play them in their base resolution.

I think of all the games leileilol listed, the #1 of them (IMO) is Strike Commander. It was highly anticipated, highly popular, and highly criticized for it's playability in the one and only resolution it ran in. It was responsible for a lot of system upgrades. But there are two other Origin games that I believe were worse. They weren't as popular, so that drops them down a bit in terms of exposure to the masses:
Pacific Strike and Cybermage. Pacific Strike only ran in VGA and it would be about 2 years before there was a system that could run it smoothly. It has a built-in framerate counter (SHIFT-F). Try it on your period correct hardware for yourself. IIRC, when I played it on my P200MMX, it struggled to maintain 30 fps consistently. There were graphical settings that needed downward adjustment until the Pentium II came out. As for Cybermage, it needed a P200 to run in VGA with a decent amount of framerate, and a 600Mhz PII to run in SVGA smoothly.

Indeed. Strike Commander runs very smooth on Pentium 100, and it surprised me that Pacific Strike was very slow despite running in the same, low res 320x200 resolution.

I'd like to add that, when running Pacific Strike in DOSBOX, it becomes quite hard to shoot down enemy fighters when CPU cycles are set too high. Thus, you need to find a balance between frame rate and playability. Here's my parameters, by the way.
cputype=486_slow
cycles=25000

What those parameters, frame rate is not entirely smooth, but shooting down enemy fighters is still manageable.

While we're at it, I'd like to say something about the first Wing Commander.

I played the game on a 12MHz 286 PC. And worse, I didn't have EMS that time (which ruled out many games including Savage Empire), so the Wing Commander didn't show me the animated stick-holding hand in the cockpit. However, despite playing the game with its minimum instead of recommended system requirements, I found the game to be quite playable.

• First, the game is slow instead of choppy. It is like playing in slow motion, but smooth slow motion nonetheless. For illustration, it is easier to play Wing Commander on a 286 than playing F-22 Lightning II on a Pentium 133, since the former is slow while the latter is choppy. I actually found it worked to my advantage, since it is quite easy to aim and shoot at Kilrathi fighters, despite I played with keyboard instead of joystick. Soon, I became the best ace in the game.
  • Wing Commander is playable without joystick. This is unlike, say, Their Finest Hour (which actually came earlier), which is totally unplayable with keyboard.
  • In-game music are also pretty good despite running on Adlib (FM Synthesizer) instead of MT-32. Perhaps because the music is orchestral instead of modern music. I often found that modern music like reggae and techno tend to sound anemic on FM synthesis. Thus, just like Ultima 6 and Martian Dreams, Wing Commander doesn't really demand a Roland MT-32 to sound good.

Reply 32 of 48, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-01-21, 06:47:

This is interesting. A racing game where the player can build their own circuits, but AI cars stumbled on those circuits due to poor AI? I definitely have to try it! 🤣

That's not exactly how it works, though that would have been hilarious! 🤣

Basically, you build the track and then there is an option you can choose that finalizes the track so that the AI can drive on it. I remember it taking forever to process (and once you raced the AI still made mistakes from time to time). My brother had some kind of 133Mhz Socket 7 Cyrix CPU at the time. Later got a Pentium 200 MMX, which probably helped but I think it still took ages to process more complicated tracks. And I use the term "complicated" loosely. If you look up videos of this game, you'll see that it was verrrry basic looking. It was just a massive resource hog and honestly probably would have been a much better game if it had been released a couple years later with more optimization, better textures, models, sounds and support for much more powerful 3D accelerators.

Here is one of the few gameplay videos of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_Ox3Shixk

It's running quite good there, but the system used in the video was a monstrous (for a 1997 game) P3 1Ghz on a 440BX with 1GB of RAM and a Verite v2100.

It looked pretty rough, but Rendition made it look better in my opinion... and there was nothing else like it on PC back then, that's for sure. And if you didn't have a Rendition card AND a fast CPU, I don't imagine it was much fun. 😁

Reply 33 of 48, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I can remember, Interstate 76 was a slideshow on our 200 MHz MMX PC. Maybe it was because of the 2MB CL-GD5446 and the lack of a real 3D accelerator.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 34 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-21, 07:06:

That's not exactly how it works, though that would have been hilarious! 🤣

🤣

Basically, you build the track and then there is an option you can choose that finalizes the track so that the AI can drive on it. I remember it taking forever to process (and once you raced the AI still made mistakes from time to time). My brother had some kind of 133Mhz Socket 7 Cyrix CPU at the time. Later got a Pentium 200 MMX, which probably helped but I think it still took ages to process more complicated tracks. And I use the term "complicated" loosely.

Very interesting. I always thought in a racing game you just need to program "general" AI behavior on computer-controlled cars, turned out you need to process each track specifically so that the computer-controlled cars can drive on it.

If you look up videos of this game, you'll see that it was verrrry basic looking. It was just a massive resource hog and honestl […]
Show full quote

If you look up videos of this game, you'll see that it was verrrry basic looking. It was just a massive resource hog and honestly probably would have been a much better game if it had been released a couple years later with more optimization, better textures, models, sounds and support for much more powerful 3D accelerators.

Here is one of the few gameplay videos of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_Ox3Shixk

It's running quite good there, but the system used in the video was a monstrous (for a 1997 game) P3 1Ghz on a 440BX with 1GB of RAM and a Verite v2100.

It looked pretty rough, but Rendition made it look better in my opinion... and there was nothing else like it on PC back then, that's for sure. And if you didn't have a Rendition card AND a fast CPU, I don't imagine it was much fun. 😁

The intro music sounds very familiar. Are you RetroCompaqGuy? My three years old loves this video so much.

PD2JK wrote on 2023-01-21, 07:43:

From what I can remember, Interstate 76 was a slideshow on our 200 MHz MMX PC. Maybe it was because of the 2MB CL-GD5446 and the lack of a real 3D accelerator.

That's odd. I remember the game didn't run very smoothly on my P100 but it wasn't a slide show. Perhaps there is something wrong with your system?

Reply 35 of 48, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought it was Maximus who said that, and the game in question is Hi-Octane. Small potatoes, though.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear with my statement. Sorry. Here's leileilol's quote I was referencing (even though he wasn't talking specifically about System Shock):

leileilol" wrote:

I see early SVGA 3D games (1993-94) more as jumping the gun than demanding.

Reply 36 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2023-01-21, 12:35:

Yeah, I wasn't very clear with my statement. Sorry. Here's leileilol's quote I was referencing (even though he wasn't talking specifically about System Shock):

leileilol wrote on 2022-12-29, 15:03:

Eh, I believe the correct pronoun for leileilol is 'she' 😉 And no, it has nothing to do with wokeness or political correctness or whatever; she is really a woman. 😁

She made an interesting point though. Early SVGA games are a bit crazy, I must say. In Dawn Patrol, you have to endure all the screen calibration processes in order to run the game in SVGA. Also, Matrox Mystique refuses to run the game, despite its chipset is newer than the game itself. Lately I also start playing SypCraft: The Great Game in DOSBOX, and the game refuses to run when I use machine=svga_et4000 parameter. Perhaps the game can only run on S3, or perhaps there is a vague calibration process I need to run before using ET4000 chipset, I don't know.

Reply 37 of 48, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-01-21, 13:58:
clueless1 wrote on 2023-01-21, 12:35:

leileilol wrote on 2022-12-29, 15:03:

Eh, I believe the correct pronoun for leileilol is 'she' 😉 And no, it has nothing to do with wokeness or political correctness or whatever; she is really a woman. 😁

She made an interesting point though. Early SVGA games are a bit crazy, I must say. In Dawn Patrol, you have to endure all the screen calibration processes in order to run the game in SVGA. Also, Matrox Mystique refuses to run the game, despite its chipset is newer than the game itself. Lately I also start playing SypCraft: The Great Game in DOSBOX, and the game refuses to run when I use machine=svga_et4000 parameter. Perhaps the game can only run on S3, or perhaps there is a vague calibration process I need to run before using ET4000 chipset, I don't know.

Funny, I've been on this forum for over 7 years and I had no idea. 🤣

I do recall the days where I'd meticulously set up my CRT geometry for a specific game's SVGA mode only to find that some other game's SVGA mode geometry is now messed up. Or even adjusting the geometry of native DOS command prompt would shift some random game that happened to use the same mode. Can't say I miss that part of the 90's.

Reply 38 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember playing Interstate 76 back on my friends PC with Pentium MMX 166MHz, Rendition 2100 and Voodoo 1. It had its slowdown moments from what I remember but it was definitely playable. Still remember designing cars with heaps of firerite rockets or guided missiles and the blox dropper to combat the ai with xD 😜
So my guess would be it's your graphics card.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 48, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-01-21, 08:51:

The intro music sounds very familiar. Are you RetroCompaqGuy?

Nope, not me. I just linked to the video. 😀

Tetrium wrote on 2023-01-21, 16:20:

I remember playing Interstate 76 back on my friends PC with Pentium MMX 166MHz, Rendition 2100 and Voodoo 1. It had its slowdown moments from what I remember but it was definitely playable. Still remember designing cars with heaps of firerite rockets or guided missiles and the blox dropper to combat the ai with xD 😜
So my guess would be it's your graphics card.

I believe the original game (before the Nitro and Arsenal versions) was software-rendered only out of the box. I could be wrong... maybe it had Rendition support? But I know it didn't support 3dfx. It's been a while, and it's hard to find much about that version since the game got a lot more popular once it had 3dfx support. With the CPUs most people were running in 1997, software-only rendering was certainly a tall order for a game with so much going on. I remember the resolution being so low and the terrain details being so scarce that I frequently drove off of cliffs because I just could not see anything ahead of me. Still, I remember it running okay on a 133Mhz Cyrix of some sort.