Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here it comes people's:

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option= … d=1463&Itemid=0

Ever since NVIDIA has introduced its 7800 GTX graphics adapter, one of the many questions that users have been asking is if NVID […]
Show full quote

Ever since NVIDIA has introduced its 7800 GTX graphics adapter, one of the many questions that users have been asking is if NVIDIA would ever launch an AGP version of the aforementioned card. Well, before we get into the actual information, we covered a report earlier this year that had information from one of the industry insiders who said that NVIDIA and ATI would probably not offer AGP versions of their upcoming product line. In the same report, the insider commented that AGP standard might actually fade away in 2005. Of course, the ones in retail channels would continue to be on retail shelves throughout the year, but the possibility of upcoming cards to support both AGP and PCIe were slim. However, that might change with the information we received recently.

An insider today confirmed that NVIDIA has no plans to offer an AGP version of the 7800 GTX currently, but it all depends on the demand. The reason is not because the 7800 GTX couldn’t be ported over to the AGP standard architecturally, but NVIDIA just doesn’t see the demand anymore. But if users are persuading enough, NVIDIA and its board partners would have no problems offering an AGP counterpart to the PCIe version.

This would also indicate that ATI’s upcoming R520 core would probably be PCIe exclusive as well, and it would most likely not offer an AGP version unless there’s sufficient demand.

Doesn't see the DEMAND? heh. I'd like to see the % of machines with PCI-E vs AGP machines. Considering that AGP has been out since 1999? I think it's pretty fair to say that AGP outnumbers PCI-E by a substantial amount and that there is still quite a bit of performance to be wrung out of AGP.

This would be the perfect opportunity for some enterprising company to come out with an AGP card......

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hear you. The typical shit to force us users on buying new PCI-E motherboards. Bah. 😠

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI-E will not be of any use for a while (if ever) so this decision is gonna cost 'em a certain percentage of the upgrade market. Sounds like this generation of nVidia hardware will not be too much to miss anyway 'cause the benchmarks thus far released show the card has to be running at 166x1200 with AA & AF in order to seriously outperform a 6800. The market is a strange one at present 'cause 'most' LCDs bought with systems for gaming have 1280x1024 native resolution and really the top of the range 6800/850 cards are almost too fast for this. The market certainly isn't crying out for a 7800 (or R520...) just yet so I reckon they should all should have saved their marketing budget and held off until the next technology refresh - in probably 6 months time eh 😀 There's no major game coming within 6 months to make the upgrade worthwhile if you're already running a top of the line card.

There were some oddball cards at a show back a few months with both AGP and PCI-E connectors. IIRC it was Gigabyte but I could be wrong (maybe MSI?! I can't recall). That's pretty smart engineering but I can't really see the point 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see no reason to upgrade my AGP GeForce 6800 yet. Besides, Windows XP needs to be re-installed when you change mobo's and that is a PITA. Nothing like spending a week re-installing all my games.

I thought BTX mobos were coming soon? I was going to hold out for that form factor anyway.

Reply 4 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP doesn't need to be re-installed when you change the motherboard. I recently swapped out a mobo, RAM, CPU combo set and I kept WinXP as is. Had no problems during the upgrade or since it was done.

There are articles on the web that show you how it can be done.

Reply 5 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reckless: But did you change motherboard chipset brands? (i.e. VIA to nVidia or Intel, etc.) That's what always killed it for me, since the chipset drivers get loaded before the OS even in safe mode.

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

robertmo: Of course, that's assuming that the chips will still work on AGP boards. I don't know enough about the technology, but I could envision that it's entirely possible for nVidia and/or ATI to make chips that just can't communicate over the AGP bus any more.

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is ridiculous. Think of the kinds of upgrades that people do before they do a major upgrade like a mother board. Usually RAM, HDD or graphics card. They are losing the sales of a lot of upgrades.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

collector: I'm sure they've weighed the various factors. It's probably a lot more expensive to design and manufacture support for two different bus architectures, and it's obvious that PCI Express is going to take over in the next couple of years. Plus, motherboards by themselves are pretty cheap these days.

Also remember that ISA, VLB, and PCI are all obsolete PC buses used at one time for top-of-the-line video cards but have all since fallen by the wayside at one point or another. It may suck for a year or two, but it happens.

That said, I really wouldn't be surprised if most video card manufacturers keep producing current low- and medium-end models as AGP for another year or two, for the reasons you mention. With new top cards costing almost as much as the rest of the computer combined, however, there's just no reason for them to constrain their new designs to the limits of an inferior technology.

Personally, I plan to hold out with my 32-bit Athlon XP with Radeon 9800 Pro AGP system for a year or so, until all this dual-CPU (and/or dual-core single CPU) and SLI video card and PCI Express stuff gets more mature.

Reply 10 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Reckless: But did you change motherboard chipset brands? (i.e. VIA to nVidia or Intel, etc.) That's what always killed it for me, since the chipset drivers get loaded before the OS even in safe mode.

The 'trick' is to do a Windows XP repair install which is like an upgrade install but instead it goes back to the versdion of your CD (you'll need to reapply SP + hotfixes afterwards). Here's a guide: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1755&page=5

Also read/act upon the content of http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312369

Reply 11 of 12, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand releasing new video cards, but I can game (maybe not the best) on my compy, which is in specs. My brother plays each game he has max graphics with a 6800 GT. Why go waste 1000 dollars on something that will be 800 tomorrow?

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM