VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mvm916

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in December of '97, my parents bought our first new computer -- a Quantex-brand Pentium II 266MHz-based system with 64MB of PC-66 SDRAM, a 6.4GB IDE hard drive, a CD-ROM drive, Turtle Beach ISA sound card, and 56K (K56Flex) modem! It ran Windows 95 with Plus! and came with a suite of productivity software -- Corel WordPerfect. I have fond memories of playing RoadRash, MotoRacer, Need for Speed, Hardball 6, You Don't Know Jack!, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and several other games of the time period! This computer also introduced us to all the internet had to offer -- it was much faster than our old 386SX-16MHz with a 28.8 modem! With the advent of eBay, I started buying and selling computer parts (which I still do today, to some extent). I built my own computer from eBay parts (a Pentium 100MHz system with 8MB of RAM and a 1GB hard drive I had as a spare), networked it with the Quantex, played our games, and began internet sharing over the network! My old Quantex system was replaced by a home-brew Slot A Althon 700MHz system several years later, and I unfortunately, sold the remains of the Quantex off to fund more computer building endeavors. However, I do still have the original Windows 95 installation CD, booklet and COA, and the (still sealed) Corel WordPerfect office suite CD.

Fast forward to recent history, and the COVID world of isolation, while at work one day, I was discussing my retro PC hobby with a coworker, and he told me that he has an old Quantex PC gathering dust in his attic. He gave me the PC few days later. It was a Pentium MMX 233MHz based system with 64MB of EDO RAM. The hard drive was removed, but it still had the power supply, floppy drive, CD-RW drive. I don't remember if it had a video, sound, or network cards still in it, so they must not have been notable. I sold the parts to keep the case and fund my next build. I replaced the whiney, rusted power supply with a known-good power supply with more capacity. However, the empty case sat dormant in my storage area for the last few years before I finally decided to build a Pentium II-based system to play the games that I still had from the late-'90s. I found a AT form factor Slot 1 motherboard, Pentium II 266 MHz CPU, and 128 MB of PC-66 SDRAM on eBay and got them installed in the Quantex PC case. Additionally, I'm running a Number Nine AGP video card with 16MB of video RAM, Sound Blaster Live PCI sound card, modern RealTek PCI network card, and a generic PCI USB 2.0 card. I tried using SD cards and Compact Flash cards instead of a vintage IDE hard drive, but I kept running into problems getting the hardware to run without constant blue screens. I swapped over to a 6.8GB IDE hard drive and completed the installation of Windows 98SE, including all hardware drivers, without error, and in much less time than when fiddling with memory card adapters.

My next step is to install and run some games on the system, but there is one piece of software that I have been looking for to top off this build. On the original Quantex, there was a few-second animation of the Quantex logo that ran in, I think, either Windows Media Player or in its own window. Since I have the original Windows 95 with Plus! installation CD, and there's nothing non-generic about it, I don't remember where the animation came from -- I don't remember if the Quantex came with vendor-specific system recovery discs or not. I cannot find any mention of them on this forum, The Internet Archive, or in a general internet search.

Does anybody have original Quantex system recover discs (if they exist) for this class of machine or know where I can find them? Does anybody else remember the Quantex logo animation that I was talking about?

Reply 1 of 2, by opieant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I backed up all of the CDs from ours several years ago. Unfortunately for your purposes there wasn't a recovery disc. There was a normal Windows CD and a driver CD (as well as bundled software, none of which was system/brand-specific in any way). I don't have convenient access to any of the CDs or their backups currently, but looking at the index of files for the driver disc I don't see anything that sounds like what you're looking for.

The original HDD died in less than a year, and any backups from before that which included any OS/program files are long gone.

I don't remember the animation. I'm sorry to say that it's exactly the kind of thing I would have immediately removed or disabled and forgotten about.

If nobody else is able to help you, there is one small hope here. I picked up a slightly older model a few years ago, probably similar to the MMX one you described. I'm pretty sure all the parts were present, but I still haven't cleaned and tested the system. If/when I get around to that and if the drive is alive I'll be sure to clone it and check for that animation.