VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most game compilation CDs almost always just aren't worth it. They tend to go for big bucks and tend to offer half-assed collections. What should a good compilation CD do for you?

First, be comprehensive. There is no reason why the Ultima Collection should omit the Underworlds and Worlds of Ultima Series. The Forgotten Realms archive CD should include FR: Unlimited Adventures.

Second, offer choices. Ensure that if a game originally worked on DOS or Windows that the compilation also works on either.

Third, make the games easy to install. Essentially a cut 'n paste should work, instead of the install program having to unpack .cab files.

Fourth, include all major versions. If a game had a separate 16 and 256 color releases, put each on the CD (as there is generally plenty of room.) Include a disk version with a CD version (room to spare mostly.)

Fifth, crack all your games and crack them properly. Copy protection was annoying enough back in the day, but don't force us to pull up .pdfs just to continue in an ancient game. A proper game crack should accept any input as valid (like Wizardry VII.) A bad crack is one that removes a feature from a game (Monkey Island II's easy mode.)

Sixth, include full documentation scans in high resolution of the original manuals, reference cards and copy protection codes (just in case) on the CD, in color if that was the original case.

Seventh, make sure the games themselves are fully patched (use subdirectories for optional patches.) Keep the games as close to the original disks as possible and never remove so-called "obselete" functionality. Use the latest versions of games.

Eighth, more of a personal preference but I appreciate tidy root directories, consisting of only what is needed and well-organized directory trees with as few subdirectories as possible.

To me a Game Compilation is extremely important in reserving older games that would otherwise be rotting on increasingly fading floppy disks. I wish to eliminate bad cracks and CD-rips and keep games available to anyone who wants to play them.

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Third, make the games easy to install. Essentially a cut 'n paste should work, instead of the install program having to unpack .cab files.

It's not always a good idea cause some games don't allow you to change their configuration after installation (choosing sound card for example).

Reply 2 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

robertmo has a good point, although I think those games would be handled as an exception.

I think that it's also a good idea to keep around the original un-patched, un-cracked versions of files in case problems are discovered with a particular patch or crack (or in case a newer one is released).