Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is D3D9On12 and apparently there has been another OpenGLOn12

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … /?limit=25#6dce

Can't find much information on it. There isn't a GitHub repository for it too, like D3D9On12 so I assume it is being built in-house.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is some info related to this:

Seems to deal with inconsistencies found on OpenGL and OpenCL implementations between hardware vendors and it is based on Mesa.

Regarding GitHub repositories, only OpenCLOn12 is available: https://github.com/microsoft/OpenCLOn12

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That one post on dxwnd is too conspiracy theory for me. There is nothing wrong with wrappers just shit implementation of those wrappers. There is a reason dgvoodoo,dgvoodoo2,dxvk,MESA3D, WARP are a thing. They are programmed well and work well. Shit driver teams like Intel are the problem.

Speaking of shit drivers back in the day ATI offered two OGL ICD dlls, you often had to revert to the other one to get games to work until they finally got around to fixing their newer one....well I assume they fixed it since I stopped using ATI cards.

There has been a basic OGL to D3D wrapper in Windows since at least XP. Don't remember if it was available in 2000 or not.
Just open ACT CompatAdmin and check Quake2 or Quake3 which have "EmulateOpenGL" checked.

Use /X with "Compatibility Administrator" from the ACT to see all shims

As far as openglon12:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/in-the … ers-to-directx/

we will be adding a new D3D12 backend to Mesa to support OpenCL and OpenGL, with initial support targeting OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 3.3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

This likely due to the work they've been doing with WSL2 and not really anything to do with Windows gaming although there is nothing preventing them from doing so.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-09-30, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2023-02-02, 18:49:

That one post one dxwnd is too conspiracy theory for me.

There has been a basic OGL to D3D wrapper in Windows since at least XP. Don't remember if it was available in 2000 or not.
Just open ACT CompatAdmin and check Quake2 or Quake3 which have "EmulateOpenGL" checked.

Looks more like an OGL to GDI wrapper since it loads GDI32.DLL. It is more understandable than utilising D3D, since GDI is generally more likely to work than D3D.

Probably they fix the extension problem or such, idk whatever the point of having them was. I could look at "XP leaked contents" to find if it actually exists but there is no willpower.

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-02, 19:47:

Looks more like an OGL to GDI wrapper since it loads GDI32.DLL.

GDI doesn't have any 3d functions to wrap to, and loading GDI32 is extremely commonplace on Windows.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-02-02, 21:14:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-02, 19:47:

Looks more like an OGL to GDI wrapper since it loads GDI32.DLL.

GDI doesn't have any 3d functions to wrap to, and loading GDI32 is extremely commonplace on Windows.

The last time I started Spirit of the Stallion (a D3D8 game with a lower DirectDraw setting) and "unsupported" a IDirectDraw3+ device creation, it fell to using GDI.

On Windows 7 with VMware, the GDI device works better than using the DirectDraw/Direct3D (OGL is abysmal there). That's how I assumed that GDI is loaded, the list only has GDI32.DLL entered (it might also mean loading dynamically, I don't know)

Reply 6 of 7, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WGL and GDI are pretty closely connected (if it isn't even that the former depends altogether on the later) .
Of course anything opengl related would load it (well for the moment at least, I could lowbrow see nvidia's recent DXGI presentation further evolving to spare us it).

As for EmulateOpenGL it is very likely there just to address concerns with old games that relied on the OGL icd that once upon a time Windows itself used to officially ship as a first class api (whether just as an excess of precaution, or because there are actually some delicate quirks to handle with care).
Ok lol nevermind. We do have leaked sources for that. Notes say it's a "general purpose shim for Quake engine based games", and it was also somewhat already discussed here and here.
I believe there may be conflicting reports about it around the net, because AFAICT it checks whether opengl acceleration is already available to begin with, before actually engaging. EDIT: yup

Last edited by mirh on 2023-02-24, 01:09. Edited 1 time in total.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote on 2023-02-07, 14:32:
WGL and GDI are pretty closely connected (if it isn't even that the former depends altogether on the later) . Of course anythin […]
Show full quote

WGL and GDI are pretty closely connected (if it isn't even that the former depends altogether on the later) .
Of course anything opengl related would load it (well for the moment at least, I could lowbrow see nvidia's recent DXGI presentation further evolving to spare us it).

As for EmulateOpenGL it is very likely there just to address concerns with old games that relied on the OGL icd that once upon a time Windows itself used to officially ship as a first class api (whether just as an excess of precaution, or because there are actually some delicate quirks to handle with care).
Ok lol nevermind. We do have leaked sources for that. Notes say it's a "general purpose shim for Quake engine based games", and it was also somewhat already discussed here and here.
I believe there may be conflicting reports about it around the net, because AFAICT it checks whether opengl acceleration is already available to begin with, before actually engaging.

Or the modern day MiniGL wrapper implementation for Quake 2 source games