VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 140 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Just found a new interesting read about OS/2.

https://www.os2museum.com/wp/retro-porting-to-os-2-1-0

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 141 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone, just found an old bitmap among my backups. I thought it would fit this thread.
- It's a drawing about Windows 3.0, from 1990. By an unknown artist.

Boy, isn't it unbelievable that we have graphical files that date back from before 30 years ago ?
Let's image how things were back then in 1990. The oldest public graphic files were less than 10 years old.
Those copied from public domain diskettes, BBSes or early online services like CompuServe (popular for HiRes and GIF formats).

Attachments

• univcolr.gif
    Filename
    univcolr.gif
    File size
    34.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    univcolr.zip
    File size
    33.72 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File comment
    original bitmap
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 142 of 151, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow what a great thread, weird that its like in parallel to my fun experiments on a PS/2 model 60.

Ive been slowly working on some article on why OS/2 was always doomed to fail, and I lay the blame squarely on the Model 60. On the one hand, it was FAR too expensive, weighing in at a near $6,000 for the new machine. At the same time it's incapable of running OS/2, mostly as the motherboard maxes at 1MB of RAM, and requires RAM expansion boards (thankfully the 60 has plenty of slots) but the fact you have to expand your system, paradoxically means the PS/2 model 60 was also too cheap.

Many people point to the AT (5170) as to some IBM promise, but the PS/2 line was created in an utter panic in 1986 reacting to the coming clone 386 machines, and a quick 1 year knee jerk reaction to losing the PC battle. Launched too early in 1987 with no next gen software the PS/2 model 60 should never have existed. And heck the Model 80 was grossly overpriced, but at least a 32bit machine.

Sigh there is so much to go on, but you've seemed to found a lot of it. There is a fair bit more to go as well, vintage books & magazines help a lot as well, and of course don't forget to check out Windows/286 & Windows/386.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/108471 … tasking-dos.mp4

Windows/286 can multitask very well behaved tiny MS-DOS programs in a window. As you can (hopefully) see a gwbasic programming running, adding a number, while Zork1 runs in the foreground. Very limited by RAM, but still neat!

Windows/386 of course is the mind blowing v86 technology with hard v86 machines! It's great!

Reply 143 of 151, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
neozeed wrote on 2023-10-11, 13:27:

Windows/286 can multitask very well behaved tiny MS-DOS programs in a window. As you can (hopefully) see a gwbasic programming running, adding a number, while Zork1 runs in the foreground. Very limited by RAM, but still neat!

Really?
Aren't they native Windows ports in NE executables, rather than pure DOS programs?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 144 of 151, by neozeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:05:
neozeed wrote on 2023-10-11, 13:27:

Really?
Aren't they native Windows ports in NE executables, rather than pure DOS programs?

Those are MS-DOS programs!

It's like a very much not talked about feature of 2.xx that it can multiask dos. Although it's all got to fit in the 640kb including windows, and text mode, so it's basically .COM files. It's still incredibly neat!

Reply 145 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Just noticed. Someone has uploaded a video of OS/2 1.3 and WLO two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkrRw5HJ1o

//My video channel//

Reply 146 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another quick update. Found a video about an PC-98 version of OS/2 v1.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSoM1TQ9Os

Sorry for letting you wait. This topic/thread isn't dead yet.
I've still some things planned, like exploring networking or running games on OS/2 1.x on vintage PCs.

It's just that my room is in a messy condition and that I haven't enough space to do things properly.
I'll hope that I get things going within a few weeks. Thanks for visiting this thread. 😄

//My video channel//

Reply 147 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone, I've found an interesting article about the internals of Windows 3.
It's worth a read, I think! 🙂👍

https://www.xtof.info/inside-windows3.html

//My video channel//

Reply 148 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. There's currently an interesting article about an MIPS emulator for Windows NT in the news.

https://www.x86matthew.com/view_post?id=mips_1

It's not about OS/2 per se, it makes reference to its sibling Windows NT. And Windows 3.1, too.

Since this topic here is about WLO "Willow", an compatibility layer, it's not too unrelated, maybe.

//My video channel//

Reply 151 of 151, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
davidrg wrote on 2024-02-19, 07:33:

I guess if the MIPS emulator is on-topic, then DEC Alpha: https://virtuallyfun.com/2024/02/17/announcin … 1-axp-preview1/

WolverineDK wrote on 2024-02-29, 23:01:

Retro Bytes came out with a long video about OS/2 5 days ago 😀 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3DZJ_LD7F4

Thank you guys! ^^

Sorry about the ongoing delay, also.
There are so many little things going on in parallel right now. 😅
The Windows 3.1 emu thread is being neglected, too.

The little 80286 PC for OS/2 is still under construction, weeks ago I had issues with the Gotek floppy emulator.
The one I got was made during pandemic and doesn't have enough RAM to properly handle PC floppy images under Flash Floppy.

So I decided to just scrap the Gotek idea and plan to install a CF to IDE adapter in place of the floppy drive/Gotek.
That way, I can just swap the CF cards more easily, also, which is nice for trying out other OSes (PC-MOS/386, Minix, or Xenix).

Internally, in the chassis, the floppy cable is still being left as is. So I can make a new CF card bootable anytime,
using an external floppy drive (I keep one in the same box were the little PC is going to be stored).

Anyway, I just meant to say that this thread isn't dead yet. 😀

//My video channel//