Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2023-02-22, 23:50:

You do you, show‘em!

In the meantime I‘ll enjoy mobygames as I enjoyed it before the switch. Works for me and I like the new look.

Cute but it's not mere opinion, it's objectively worse in its current state.

Reply 22 of 50, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
awgamer wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:08:
Dominus wrote on 2023-02-22, 23:50:

You do you, show‘em!

In the meantime I‘ll enjoy mobygames as I enjoyed it before the switch. Works for me and I like the new look.

Cute but it's not mere opinion, it's objectively worse in its current state.

If you say so, sure, of course. 🤷‍♂️
Do your thing!
I have no chip in it and don‘t care as long as it works for me.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:31:

^Awesome! YMMD! (^▽^)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 50, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:31:

In that graphic they all just put up with it, dominus' suggestion of "accept it," I never have, I've been circumventing moby's shortcomings long before this change, it's just the new change has made it untenable to using the moby interface as a step in the circumvention, now need to scrape & script things to be functional again.

Reply 26 of 50, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
feda wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:57:
Dominus wrote on 2023-02-22, 22:39:

AFAIU the change was necessary to bring the website into this decade.

The fuck does that even mean?
The previous decade's website was working normally!

As far as I understood the website held together with ductape and perl scripts since it was conceived (and that came from one of the guys who made it, not from some speculation).

Anyway you are all hurting and care way more about it than me and my words surely don't help you going through the five stages of grief. So I'll step back and eat some popcorn.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feda wrote on 2023-02-23, 00:57:

The fuck does that even mean?
The previous decade's website was working normally!

Translation -> our nowadays customers are smombies. They favor "simple" UI (let's remember Metro Apps).
Something they can smear with their fingers over.
Something that doesn't require classic, rational thinking or the cognitive ability for abstraction. ;)

Oh, and it helps if a concept can be understood in less than ~3 seconds.
TikTok style, so to say. The attention time is very short these days.

Edit: The duct tape comparison makes sense, yes.
Ironically, though, intermediate solutions are sometimes those which last the longest.
It's not just a saying, though.

In electronics, an ugly "dead bug" wiring (Ger: Igel-Schaltung, btw) sometimes lasts decades, while a cleanly made PCB version breaks after a couple of years.

Edit: Strictly speaking, we saw this kind of user degeneration in the 90s, already.
Back then, completely uneducated computer users popped up in the landscape.
They had no idea about DOS commands, BATCH programming or GW-BASIC.
Some couldn't even move the mouse properly.

Personally, I think the time is here to provide a separate entrance to the more advanced users.
Mobygames.com should give them some Telnet or SSH login.
Can be a read-only guest login, maybe.
Then, users like us can use the keyboard to retrieve information.
Not unlike the way it was with public libraries. They also used to have serial terminals.

Alternatively, less favorable, revive a Gopher site for MobyGames.

Edit: The good thing is, that this separate entrance is completely.. Separate.
It doesn't affect tze programming of the main site. Screenshots and box arts can be found there.
All "we" want is access to the meta data.

Edit: That being said, I'm just a user, of course.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 28 of 50, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do enlighten us then... what specifically about "this decade" makes it necessary to b0rk search/browse/list functionality?

Yeah, they won't bring back the old interface but they *can* fix issues that slipped through with the new one. In fact they're quite willing to do it, and are receptive to user input about it. I don't even mind the new UI/design too much - they even brought back dark mode, which is awesome. But that doesn't imply that everything works as well as it could and should.

So rather than eye-roll at people and tell them to "accept it", it'd be more productive to direct them to report their issues on Mobygames' discord or forums, where they're more likely to be heard and hopefully addressed. That's what I'd urge you guys to do.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 29 of 50, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Anyway you are all hurting and care way more about it than me and my words surely don't help you going through the five stages of grief. So I'll step back and eat some popcorn.

Reply 30 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Just checked the new MobyGames site. It looks like the result of using an outdated web browser to me.
Totally messy. No sense for structuring etc. The use of plain text links (in brackets) in combination with square/rectangular links..
Using "desktop website" option on my Android device (Firefox) makes the site look even more limited for some reason.
Last time I had such an experience was when I used IE3 on my 386 running WfW 3.11, surfing the 'modern' web in the early 2010s. I'm both shocked and amused. Okay, not really amused. I liked MobyGames.
If this new site at least worked with Arachne, then I could understand the change, technologically.
But knowing the trend of the past years, it likely needs more resources than the old design.
But at least it's fixed, even if it's at the cost of looking broken.
Okay okay, I go back into my coffin already. 😂⚰️

Edit: Sorry, my Firefox just crashed while surfing MobyGames site.
What I mean is encircled in the screenshot. These different styles do look a bit out of place, a bit inconsistent. IMHO.
As if a Linux or FreeDOS programmer made a text installer (never like the FreeDOS/Novell setup, the IBM/MS versions were more clean) ..

Using arrows for the platform text may help :
▸ Amiga Screenshots ◂

Using radio buttons or similar as a replacement for the platform names in the bracket.

Or something similar, not sure. I'm no designer. 😔

The Wii used nice pastel colors (gray, white, blue), too. Albeit missing contours/outlines.
Not sure if that's applicable here, however. Maybe that design is reserved to Nint*ndo, also.

Edit: The more I look at it, the more I realize that the design is looking broken mainly due to the conflict between main title and screenshot/platform (same font/colour).
Maybe the main title or the screenshot text can have some ball or something?
Like it's being used in text processors?
Hm. Not sure. Again, I'm no designer.

That being said, the new site surely is in Beta stage still.
So it needs its time to fix things up. 🙂

Attachments

• circles.jpg
    Filename
    circles.jpg
    File size
    107.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ff_crash.jpg
    Filename
    ff_crash.jpg
    File size
    25.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Months have passed by, Mobygames still hasn't changed. Still looks messy. Haven't gotten used to it, either.
It looks unwieldy, no matter if being used on PC or a mobile device.
Why don't they use just WAP pages (WML) if smartphone support is so overly important?
WAP was simple, small and tidy, at least. *sigh* 🙄

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 50, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What the actual fuck is this???
Search results are now limited based on your contribution points.
What's next, paid subscriptions? Are they gonna start limiting how many pages we can look at per day?
Shame on whoever made this decision.

Attachments

Reply 33 of 50, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feda wrote on 2023-08-23, 12:45:
What the actual fuck is this??? Search results are now limited based on your contribution points. What's next, paid subscription […]
Show full quote

What's next, paid subscriptions? Are they gonna start limiting how many pages we can look at per day?

What is the limitation? Is it number of results or number of searches?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 34 of 50, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, that looks evil

Reply 35 of 50, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some people were running scripts and scanning the entire database, causing massive slowdowns. Since then they've limited the viewable search result number per query to 1000 entries.

You can add filters to make it fit into that limit. For example, if you're searching for "Windows" games, add year based filters.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-08-23, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 50, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-23, 14:09:
feda wrote on 2023-08-23, 12:45:
What the actual fuck is this??? Search results are now limited based on your contribution points. What's next, paid subscription […]
Show full quote

What is the limitation? Is it number of results or number of searches?

Had about 25 pages of results. When I finally got to page 20 it showed me this message 🤮

Reply 37 of 50, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the real problem with mobygames is it is treating every single sword dlc addon as a separate game hence it is very difficult to find anything even when looking at game series group.
all that dlcs should be in game's subfolders like it is done on gamepressure
a separate group for addons https://www.gamepressure.com/games/addons.asp?ID=13689
a separate group for series https://www.gamepressure.com/games/series.asp?ID=1741
mobygames is just one big mess

Reply 38 of 50, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo3 wrote on 2023-08-25, 16:42:

the real problem with mobygames is it is treating every single sword dlc addon as a separate game hence it is very difficult to find anything even when looking at game series group.

Actually that's true, but I'm not sure if it's ever going to be fixed.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 39 of 50, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

actually i think lots of dlcs (if not all) are marked as a dlc genre so you can just narrow your search by genre to exclude them

also it doesn't affect old games too much, but new and rather popular ones which can be browsed in gamepressure instead too

theoretically it might be possible to make a mechanic in mobygames allowing excluding genres too, like it is in steam search