Common searches

VOGONS server troubles?

Topic actions

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been having problems the last few days with the VOGONS server, usually for around a half hour at a time. Sometimes my browser will wait forever for a response, sometimes I'll get connection refused errors, and sometimes I'll get SQL errors (too many connections / unable to connect / etc.).

What's going on?

Reply 1 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's fooked, that's what. 😒
Apache starts running hundreds of processes and eventually ramps the load way up (like 80+) until it hangs and dies and is restarted by the service monitor. I have no idea why this is happening.

Last edited by Snover on 2005-07-04, 19:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I think I added the gory details after you posted that. 😀
Anyway, I put a really low limit on the CPU seconds allowed for httpd processes. We'll see what catches.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Server usage causes Apache to spawn additional processes.. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but I thought that it was supposed to be that the number of Apache processes is respective to MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers, not MaxClients. (MaxClients is 160, in which case having that many processes would make sense -- but who in their right mind would want 160 Apache processes?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

isn't maxclients the amount clients handled by an apache process before it's forcefully killed ? (useful against memory leaks)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's MaxRequestsPerChild, which is currently set to 500.
I really wish I could figure this out once and for all, it's getting quite ridiculous. The main apache process always shoots up and causes everything to die, it's never a child that does it as far as I can tell. But, I have no way of debugging it, because the server ceases to respond to basically any command and trying to get a backtrace using gdb would take next to forever with a 30+ load. I bet if I went up to Apache2 and changed things to use suphp instead of the crappy and unmaintained phpsuexec patch things would work better, but who knows. 😒

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 30, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could it be something in the search function? I noticed it hung up on me earlier today right after I had did a search. There was a question in the DOS section about Ultima 8, and I knew the answer but also knew it had been posted before. I did a search on Ultima 8 just to check my memory and shortly afterwards got the SQL error message. It could be coincidence but wanted to mention it anyway in case that was something that could be a possible cause.

Reply 10 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still having problems posting, searching for new posts, and reloading threads as of a few hours ago (but working at the moment obviously).

Snover: So why not bite the bullet and use newer versions if they're more stable and/or less buggy? *nudge*

Reply 11 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because this server has a retarded front-end on it that likes to break shit like that. 😒 I'm ready to reload the stupid thing with Debian and let it loose. The only problem is my lack of experience configuring mail servers. Apache is a breeze.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How are the downloads handled? I noticed that the links go through PHP. I've also noticed thousands of downloads on some of the files. Does this add any extra load? Perhaps adding links to an FTP server or http would be better?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline