VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 installation process usually ends into a "Windows protection error"/ "VCACHE error" on the latest Intel generations. There are a couple of videos on YouTube with failed installations on 9th gen platform. (using real hardware)

It took me like a working day (5PM to 1AM) to make it happen... but now I have a stable Windows 98 running on real hardware on a Intel Gen 9 CPU, with video (PCI-E ATI X700) and sound Aureal AU8810 (via a PCI-E to PCI adapter). Too bad I ran out of PCI-E slots, because I have a PCI-E to USB card compatible with Win 9X.

**The BIOS for this motheboard (PRIME H310M-E) has a nice option to report USB storage as FDD or HDD.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 3 of 6, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ajacocks wrote on 2023-03-14, 23:55:

What did you do differently from the other folks who failed?

- Alex

I think my "special" approach was to use a Windows 98 compatible disk controller. This is how I managed to pass the "Windows protection error" message which was causing a dead end.

NTG2001 wrote on 2023-03-15, 02:59:

Wow, that's very cool to see. Is there any issues with performance or is it as good as one would hope it would be?

Yes, Windows 98 SE runs stable. First I tried a GeForce 7600GT which is not officially supported and even if the drivers installed, the whole system wasn't stable. It was able to run the first benchmark from 3DMark 2K but not the second one. Most games didn't start. Then I installed an officially supported ATI X700 card and with those drivers everything that is game related works fine. Overall the system is stable, no random crashes.

Here is a video with Windows 98 running on Intel Coffee Lake refresh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHbJ_S2a6E

My best video so far.

Reply 4 of 6, by jonesmacarrones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is very cool! I will def try this at some point.

P166 MMX, 64Mb, S3 Trio64V+, Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 - DOS & W98
Athlon 1.3Ghz, 256Mb DDR, Voodoo 5 5500, SB Live! 5.1 0100 - DOS & W98
i5 3550 3.7Ghz, 16Gb, MSI GTX 980 Ti - WinXP & W7
5900X 4.7Ghz, 32 Gb, 3080 Ti FTW 3 - W11

Reply 5 of 6, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a bit curious about this, couldn't you in theory use the onboard sata controller in "IDE mode". I would think that would still be an option as even OEMs sometimes will offer FreeDOS as an OS option for Linux (or *BSD) users who don't want to pay for a Windows license. Or is it a case where the IDE mode option exists but still isn't compatible?

Last edited by retrogamerguy1997 on 2023-03-29, 16:34. Edited 1 time in total.