VOGONS

Common searches

FYI: Steam drops Win7/8/8.1 in 2024

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 121, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried Playnite for a bit, but the last update did not want to install, so I had to uninstall it - maybe try again a bit later.
It does not help with the various 'game launcher needs later operating system' issues from UBI/Steam/EA launchers of course.

Reply 121 of 121, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rwolf wrote on 2023-08-06, 12:11:

I tried Playnite for a bit, but the last update did not want to install, so I had to uninstall it - maybe try again a bit later.
It does not help with the various 'game launcher needs later operating system' issues from UBI/Steam/EA launchers of course.

It stores the library and settings in a different location. Maybe it will already be set up when you reinstall. Else I hope you didn't do a bunch of our own tagging, so it's just installing the plugins you want, and signing into your accounts.

As for other launchers, sadly the only options are cracking the game you already own, or repurchasing on GOG. EA has several games from the Vista/7 era on GOG now like the first Dragon Age, Dead Space, Crysis, and Mirror's Edge, Ubi has some, and Eidos has stuff from six years ago. But even if Valve changed its stance from when they dropped XP support and released a small client that only handled DRM, it still won't solve the issue of many games having these 3rd party launchers which no longer work. Heck, there are frequent updates to EA and Ubi's launchers that constantly break Steam Deck support.