VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I aquired yet another Tape drive unit..
OnStream ?
SCSI interface of course..
The actual tape drive was immediately identified by my early veritas software..and could well be functional.
This unit is a little different to my usual encounters..mostly DDS 2/3/4 etc in that I have no idea what tape meddium it uses ?
It may even be that it needs a caddy of some sort ?
It is a dual drive unit in that it also houses a scsi hard drive...which in this case is 50 pin 2gb
Connections at the rear are centronics and provision is made for daisy chain or termination.
I am familiar with many scsi tape drives ...but not this one...so any help would be appreciated.
on the front drop down flap of the tape drive it does indicate that it will handle 30gb media...but what type of media ?
the slot is too big for DDS data tapes.
Strangly the 50 pin 2gb scsi hard drive had been formatted in NTFS...which I have never seen before...
Nothing on it though...no hidden stash of bitcoin.
A very pretty beige box imo...but then I am biased.
🤣
regards

ooops ..just realised I posted this in the wrong section.
Please could it be moved to marvin hardware ?

Attachments

• P1010485.JPG
    Filename
    P1010485.JPG
    File size
    602.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010484.JPG
    Filename
    P1010484.JPG
    File size
    650.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • P1010483.JPG
    Filename
    P1010483.JPG
    File size
    664.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you google it before posting this?
It doesn't seem to be so unknown and it kinda looks as if the tape cartridges are still available on amazon, though cannot be shipped to my location.
Onstream 30GB ADR
OnStream 30GB Data Cartridge Tape Drive

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 6, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weird - never seen one of those before. Seems to share some design similarities with QIC so presumably shares its flaws too - tension band in direct contact with the oxide layer of the tape that will eventually perish and either glue itself to the tape or fall to bits and lose its ability to advance the tape. Maybe the drive even has the rubber wheel that eventually turns to goo!

Reply 3 of 6, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just unknown to me I guess..
certainly not so many for sale ...a bit of a relic I guess.
I just searched and there are a few for sale but tend to be multiples..
I just want 1 for testing...after all ..it may be a faulty drive.
🤣

Reply 4 of 6, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a picture of the inside of an ADR tape cartridge:

EU-KwnjUUAEWW-J.jpg
Filename
EU-KwnjUUAEWW-J.jpg
File size
256.33 KiB
Views
File comment
stolen from twitter
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks like my guess was right - physically it's an incompatible/proprietary variation of the extended mini QIC/Travan cartridge. Will probably turn out to be about as unreliable too as the cartridges and drives age.

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got out my Wang the other day, it was a little dusty from lack of use. I didn't know whether to bother turning it on. To give it a good work out, I'd have to get down and dirty with some SCSI boards, and I never know quite how to jump them, always forget to check their IDs, which can get you in a lot of trouble. Plus I didn't want to buy a potentially shady tape, and have a let down. Then everything is old and wearing out, and you don't know if you'll be waiting all night to completion, and will get your backup.

But the drivebelt looked in good shape, lost it's eject button somewhere along the way though. Probably need to wiggle a pen in there to make the media come out. Stop sniggering at the back, it's a Wang Laboratories tape drive. Not sure what model actually, there are drive rails on it over the label and the screws were frozen (No I'm not saying stiff) enough that I might have rounded out (Not saying strip) the head (okay that was unavoidable) with the driver I had on hand.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A fairly expensive gamble I suppose...but then I was given the drive and 2gb hard drive internally...
but all Wangs aside..
🤣
I am curious...
Found a uk seller with a pack of new sealed tapes x6 ...and made an offer £10 below the asking price..and he let me have them cheap...on account I only really needed 1 for testing purposes.
I suppose he was just happy to shift them.
Also managed to find an ISO image of Onstream Echo..
propriatory software and drives disc...which I have now burned.
No idea of course if this drive is viable...but I can't help being fascinated.
We shall see
rgds
VS