VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone,
Just had this curiosity, which are the most misleading game intros you know of? By misleading I mean, intros that make the player think the game is something totally different than the actual game. Note that it doesn't have to mean the game is bad...
Personally, I have two:
X-COM: UFO Defense : The intro shows the bad aliens killing everyone, then the X-COM guys grab their gear, go there and the aliens get PWNED. But then when the game starts you soon realize the game is about GETTING PWNED, not only that but all the cool weapons you see in the intro are utter crap.
https://youtu.be/pX0Cm3N_n6k

Tubular Worlds: Intro seems like some fighting game or at least about some buffed guy beating/shooting everything. Then once the level starts you realize the game was in fact about the ship the buffed guy is piloting.
https://youtu.be/7xQUBPUStXM

So, what are yours?

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Biing! definitely is a huge contender. Huge alien invasion force, transition into SHMUP gameplay footage - and now for something completely different - we end up in a raunchy hospital management sim. I mean, it's not a surprise if you have seen the box, but going just by the intro, well...

Reply 3 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Delta Force 2 (Novalogic). Its intro is relatively non-violent, showing a team of Delta Force ambushing and arresting a bunch of insurgents in what appears to be a South American jungle. Yet the game itself, while not gratuitously violent, is indeed violent. An example is your character crawling while coughing to death, perhaps chocked by his own blood, after being shot by the enemy, and the sound effect is eerily convincing. The enemies don't exactly die peacefully either.

Screenshot-2023-04-10-at-02-01-49-Delta-Force-2-Intro-Movie-You-Tube.png
Screenshot-2023-04-10-at-02-02-41-Delta-Force-2-Intro-Movie-You-Tube.png
The enemies just... surrendered. Perhaps the game should be titled DEA instead of Delta Force.

Air Force Commander (Impressions). Its intro is actually pretty simple; a theme song accompanying a simple slide show featuring the company's logo and the game's box art, but the intro is as misleading as the said cover art, giving the impression (no pun intended) that the game is yet another flight sim.

video-game-cover-air-force-commander.jpg
The game's intro is as misleading as its cover art.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking about this some time ago when I watched the intro of A.I.M. 2: Clan Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzyGhlpH1ks

In which you see vegetation attack a glider aircraft, which does not happen in the game as vegetation is entirely non interactive in the game.
It's still a very fun game though.

Reply 5 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doki Doki Literature Club! if one counts the entire first act of the game. Of course the entire premise of this game is making it appear to be something it is not.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 9, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-04-10, 14:32:

Doki Doki Literature Club! if one counts the entire first act of the game. Of course the entire premise of this game is making it appear to be something it is not.

This in my opinion is one of the most interesting concepts in horror games, making you get used and feeling "safe" about the game you are playing and then something creppy happens... from that point on, you'll be always on edge and never feel confortable playing the game ever again.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GTA2 into feels very different to the game. It's better suited for GTA1

leileilol wrote on 2023-04-08, 21:27:

Command & Conquer. What do you mean it's not a game about channel surfing??!

🤣, took me a good 15 minutes to get the joke but once I did it made me chuckle for a second

Reply 8 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half-Life

That initial train ride makes it seem like this is going to be a casual day-at-work simulator. Just a relaxing day performing some routine scientific experiments in your average underground top secret research facility.

Who knew of the epic sh!t storm that was to come...?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards