VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So there is popping up a lot of 'ultra-clear' bluray TV shows recently, on evilbay.
5 seasons squeezed into 8 discs, which apparantly needs a "Blu-ray Disc player or Blu-ray drive" to be played...😲! 🤣😆

- Anyone know any technical data about these strange abominations ??

Now, I am not new to blurays, having researched burning them for years, testing for BIS/LDC errors and whatnot and which discs are the 'best' etc....
But this 'ultra-clear' or ultraclear thing I have never heard of before.

Seems to me like it must be some strange variant of extremely multilayered discs, given the amount of data the episodes normally take. OR they've compressed the data/bit rate etc so violently that it greatly reduces the picture quality.

ultraclearBluray.JPG
Filename
ultraclearBluray.JPG
File size
89.45 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just sounds like Blu-ray Discs and the seller is using confusing terminology. Nothing fancy about the discs or codecs as they're BD compliant. Think it's more to ensure people don't buy them thinking that they are DVDs.

Merlin is 65 hours of content. Assuming no overhead which is obviously wrong, but still, it works out as around 13mbps for video and a 640k audio track. Which is not amazing, but certainly serviceable for 1080p H.264 content.

Reply 2 of 8, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm.... then I really wonder why on earth the regular region B BBC editions, say single season 4, consists of a whopping 5 (five) discs all on its lonesome.... ? 😅
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XRgAAOSwmIJe0WZt/s-l1600.jpg

(granted, there are the 'extras', but still... ?)

Reply 3 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"ultra-clear" is play on marketing scam.

All blu-ray burnables discs have varying of quality, just go by reputation on a trusted forums.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original discs aren't region free
They could be MPEG 4 AVC, they could be H.265.
Typically 1920x1080 MPEG 4 is 9GB per episode on a blu-ray.
I don't have any 4k blu-ray discs but a downloaded episode is usually around 3-6GB and those are usually h.265 and I doubt the original source of those was h.265......but I don't remember there ever being a 4k release of Merlin (I still have my DVD of all five seasons)

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Merlin-Comp … y/dp/B092QPB72H
15 discs for original blu-ray

So likely a 1080p release with extras removed or re-compressed, may or may not be higher capacity discs. Possibly compressed with h.265 since I don't see why someone would re-compress MPEG 4 into a lower bitrate MPEG4 since h.265 is the craze nowadays.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Region free perhaps means that the BD has A/B/C region lock (all of them)..
So it can be played in all regions. This practice isn't unusual for BDs these days. Region lock no longer is as relevant as it was in the DVD days.
Maybe the industry had learned from those beloved region-free DVD players everyone bought (RC-0; with RPC-1 drives).
Or the tutorials that told users how to get into their players' service mode.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it plays on a Blu-ray player... it's a Blu-ray. Just a Blu-ray. Well it could be a DVD too I suppose. Due to the standardization of the format the specifications are pretty locked down, you can't do something new or compatibility would be a nightmare.

Not sure why eBay bootleggers would call them ultra-clear.

That said eBay bootleggers are also the kind of people that would release something with crap compatibility, so it is possible it is different, but... why care?

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Commercial Video CDs w/ MPEG1 can still be played on BD players, too. I tried.
Unfortunately, DVD or BD players don't support the chapter selection feature of VCDs.
A Philips CD-i player, 3DO, CDTV/CD32 or compatible PC/Mac player software was required for this.

Edit: Super VCDs may also work, I suppose.
They're quite similar to DVD Video, both use MPEG2.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//