VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Just found something interesting on the web I'd like to share.
It's a Youtube video about Sega USA and Sega Genesis game development.
Sometimes the YT algorithm works, it seems.

Young people, lots of AT keyboards, 5,25" floppy drives, shiny VGA CRT monitors and pre-Pentium PCs can be seen.
- And I bet they have (had) more than 1 MB of RAM installed. 😉

SEGA Documentary 1993 part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnaw07LaS0

SEGA Documentary 1993 part two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8RIc6Ek0Q

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 6, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-19, 03:00:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Just found something interesting on the web I'd like to share.
It's a Youtube video about Sega USA and Sega Genesis game development.
Sometimes the YT algorithm works, it seems.

Young people, lots of AT keyboards, 5,25" floppy drives, shiny VGA CRT monitors and pre-Pentium PCs can be seen.
- And I bet they have (had) more than 1 MB of RAM installed. 😉

SEGA Documentary 1993 part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnaw07LaS0

SEGA Documentary 1993 part two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8RIc6Ek0Q

Best regards,
Jo22

Hi Jo22, thanks for the links, what a nice watch. There's also a curious video of leftover film from a news report inside the Nintendo Power Hotline service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj2drENV9uk

Impressive how the operator knows every step of the game by memory to advise on his call even when he's playing another one on the TV!

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andre_6 wrote on 2023-04-21, 21:43:

Hi Jo22, thanks for the links, what a nice watch. There's also a curious video of leftover film from a news report inside the Nintendo Power Hotline service:

Impressive how the operator knows every step of the game by memory to advise on his call even when he's playing another one on the TV!

You're welcome. ^^

- Hey, thanks a lot for the link - that's soo cool! 😃

I'm not from the US, but I was a member in Club Nintendo (Europe) in the 90s.
This brings back so much memories from calling their hotline! 😃

I still remember when I called it once because of ST : DS9 - Crossroads of Time.
They helped me a lot with the game. I think is was a female voice who talked to me.

It was in a time when DS9 on TV was still in production, so we weren't familiar with all the background stories etc. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What was remarkable about SEGA was the Sonic franchise seeing it on Nick Arcade in the 1990s, SEGA and Paramount were once sister companies so I speculate they got permission to do that game in the show. The others were unknown to me. I did not own a Sega console since I was into Nintendo and PlayStation, but I wish I had since the music was excellent for Sonic R and Metropolis Street Racer. The regret I had was not getting into Dreamcast since it had a built-in phone modem and Sega had tested the idea of online multiplayer before with the cable dongles in japan for their online service for I think Phastasty Star Online.

iami

Reply 4 of 6, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:26:
You're welcome. ^^ […]
Show full quote

You're welcome. ^^

I still remember when I called it once because of ST : DS9 - Crossroads of Time.
They helped me a lot with the game. I think is was a female voice who talked to me.

It was in a time when DS9 on TV was still in production, so we weren't familiar with all the background stories etc. 😅

Would have loved to have experienced that back in the day, I only seemed to get help through friends or the occasional magazine. The only memory I have that's sort of close to that is having my father calling the help line for an unknown error with no message on PC, only the small window with the red sign with a white "X" showing while launching Football World Manager 2000, probably on Win 98. Turns out the Windows taskbar needed to be in "tumbling", "drop" (?) mode for some reason for the game to launch. It was a weird one for sure

twiz11 wrote on 2023-04-22, 15:16:

What was remarkable about SEGA was the Sonic franchise seeing it on Nick Arcade in the 1990s, SEGA and Paramount were once sister companies so I speculate they got permission to do that game in the show. The others were unknown to me. I did not own a Sega console since I was into Nintendo and PlayStation, but I wish I had since the music was excellent for Sonic R and Metropolis Street Racer. The regret I had was not getting into Dreamcast since it had a built-in phone modem and Sega had tested the idea of online multiplayer before with the cable dongles in japan for their online service for I think Phastasty Star Online.

I had the Genesis/Mega Drive for a long time before getting a PlayStation on my birthday in 1998, having always had a PC as well throughout. Loved the PlayStation and explored it immensely, it's still my favorite console. But having had a Mega Drive and loving Sonic and Sega games in general, I always lusted for a Saturn and a Dreamcast, just because I never experienced them regularly, most people just had PlayStations around here. Sega games just had something really captivating and very unique to them. Recently decided to get both a PAL Dreamcast and a Japanese Saturn and I absolutely love it, should have done it years ago instead of day dreaming all this time.

I don't know if you still wonder about that but if you do just go for it, there's so many solutions today that cracked the entire Saturn library wide open with so many gems, and the Dreamcast is as entertaining as it ever was. For a very casual gamer like me they're perfect for 30 min or an hour at a time when I feel like unwinding for a bit. I just can't get into modern consoles, maybe on PC at a stretch but the modern era games themselves lost their charm for me roughly after 2014.

At the time after getting the PlayStation I went full on PC, the PS2 was interesting but I had to choose between the two, and the PC was just superior and had all the games I was interested in. And I just wasn't going to play GTA on a controller, it always felt wrong to me...

Reply 6 of 6, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andre_6 wrote on 2023-04-22, 17:58:
Would have loved to have experienced that back in the day, I only seemed to get help through friends or the occasional magazine. […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-22, 00:26:
You're welcome. ^^ […]
Show full quote

You're welcome. ^^

Would have loved to have experienced that back in the day, I only seemed to get help through friends or the occasional magazine. The only memory I have that's sort of close to that is having my father calling the help line for an unknown error with no message on PC, only the small window with the red sign with a white "X" showing while launching Football World Manager 2000, probably on Win 98. Turns out the Windows taskbar needed to be in "tumbling", "drop" (?) mode for some reason for the game to launch. It was a weird one for sure

twiz11 wrote on 2023-04-22, 15:16:

I had the Genesis/Mega Drive for a long time before getting a PlayStation on my birthday in 1998, having always had a PC as well throughout. Loved the PlayStation and explored it immensely, it's still my favorite console. But having had a Mega Drive and loving Sonic and Sega games in general, I always lusted for a Saturn and a Dreamcast, just because I never experienced them regularly, most people just had PlayStations around here. Sega games just had something really captivating and very unique to them. Recently decided to get both a PAL Dreamcast and a Japanese Saturn and I absolutely love it, should have done it years ago instead of day dreaming all this time.

I don't know if you still wonder about that but if you do just go for it, there's so many solutions today that cracked the entire Saturn library wide open with so many gems, and the Dreamcast is as entertaining as it ever was. For a very casual gamer like me they're perfect for 30 min or an hour at a time when I feel like unwinding for a bit. I just can't get into modern consoles, maybe on PC at a stretch but the modern era games themselves lost their charm for me roughly after 2014.

At the time after getting the PlayStation I went full on PC, the PS2 was interesting but I had to choose between the two, and the PC was just superior and had all the games I was interested in. And I just wasn't going to play GTA on a controller, it always felt wrong to me...

Dreamcast was different, like Gamecube. The controllers and the media GD ROM and Gamecube tiny CDs were unique in that era I used to play Super Monkey Ball because I loved the labyrinth style genre.

iami