VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you do with PCI Modem Cards these days? I was thinking of internet faxing or old-school VOIP. Most of the time I gut them for screws whenever I find any. There are adapters to convert rj11 to rj45 but I don't think that would work for in-line house phone jacks. Gah I am glad I ripped out the old phone lines. This is just a pet project to see how the heck do you convert ethernet to dialup and vice versa just for the hell of it.

iami

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 1 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do with them absolutely nothing...

...though once upon a time, I had an idea to use such a card in a troll build, as the only connection 🤣

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use them for (de)soldering practice. 😁 Well, at least the broken ones.

One or two of my old PCI 56k modems might still be functional, but I have no use for them nowadays. I hated those flimsy things with a passion back in the day, and had them packed away the second I got faster internet.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I ever personally had a PCI modem. Other than one integrated in a notebook. I had external and ISA modems though.

At work I still have a FAX modem in use in a Laserjet all in one. They still come integrated in various printers. They can have problems with modern internet based phone lines though. I had to disable its error checking and v.34 speeds.

Reply 4 of 7, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran out of expansion slot covers, so I put a modem in that slot to fill the hole in the back of the case. I think it still works (since Windows detected it and installed the drivers), but I haven't had a use for it.

Reply 6 of 7, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I heard or read that some of these cards could potentially be used by Asterisk, so one could built their own PABX - and hence have something that old phones and modems could connect to - but I'm not sure if I ever found any information about what cards are supported, if any.

lti wrote on 2023-04-22, 21:00:

I ran out of expansion slot covers, so I put a modem in that slot to fill the hole in the back of the case. I think it still works (since Windows detected it and installed the drivers), but I haven't had a use for it.

Not enough slot covers is always a problem! You could probably unscrew the bracket from the card and just use the bracket 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never used any modem cards in any of my builds, though I did consider it especially for the odd AMR/CNR/ACR slotted ones (not sure I even have any boards for all of these slots). But the main issue for me is how useless the are. The dialup tone would be kinda nice to hear again I guess.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!