VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i tried to find right place for this, but not found some offtopic or general Vogons dissussion..

I hit this invention:
You can only edit a limited number of posts at a time. Try again in 2 hours and 17 minutes.
I tied to fix some old posts broken links.. because Zoho stopped working and i migrated docs to Google docs. with this it would take days.. I dont thing its clever protect user from editing his post at all, when he decide to delete all of them etc, he should have such option..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This was implemented because a previous user had a tantrum and started adding inappropriate content to his old posts. So yes it's a shame that a forum needs these sorts of protections, but some people are childish morons.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is still wrong punish all, because few bad people.

You have moderators to ban users. if they do something wrong. If its not good enough, you can implement some additional panel, count number of edits and if some threshold is reached send message to moderators to check what user is doing and bad him..

Other thing is 2 hours wait really?

----------
We still need some place where to put these posts, primary discussion tree is should have something like about Vogons part.. not just all about games and HW.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this "error" a few edits - and in other threads!
Im used to edit post a lot, because of mistyping, bad English.. also people with dyslexia would get harmed a lot..

Other use case:
- im have to Work in progress game compatibility testing posts, where im used to add some new games teste, every few minutes, no more possible 🙁

Reply 4 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2023-05-29, 09:32:

This is still wrong punish all, because few bad people.

No-one is being punished - mildly inconvenienced maybe.

Here's the thread for suggesting site changes: New forum suggestions/Feedback

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There are 2 reasons for this:
- we had a bad user who would deface all his posts with extreme pictures. Since it's a small forum and moderators are not paid to do that job there might be times that no one is immediately available. Adding a cooldown phase is the least invasive way to handle this.

- users who rage quit the forum are prone to delete all their posts (or rather edit them to have nothing in their posts). This is destroying threads and is generally not allowed here. Again a cooldown phase has proven to be effective there. In the current incarnation of the forum software you can restore deleted content but it's a major task when a user has done it for his hundreds of posts.

So, sorry for the inconvenience but so far we have not found a better solution.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2023-05-29, 10:29:
I got this "error" a few edits - and in other threads! Im used to edit post a lot, because of mistyping, bad English.. also peo […]
Show full quote

Im used to edit post a lot, because of mistyping, bad English.. also people with dyslexia would get harmed a lot..

Other use case:
- im have to Work in progress game compatibility testing posts, where im used to add some new games teste, every few minutes, no more possible 🙁

You got a good point here, personally I think the limitation should be removed as there are more good use cases than bad ones. Then if anyone abuses it, it should be handled as per case basis.
Just my two cents.

Edit: this was written before dominus response, now I understood why the limitation is the better approach for now: An user going berserk with old posts may not happen frequently, but when it does, there is a lot of damage control to be done by moderators.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 7 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its getting even "better":
"Try again in 1 day, 10 hours, and 39 minutes."

Because you had few bad users.. what about to disable cars, because there was bad driver 50 years ago? Its same logic..

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

what about to disable cars, because there was bad driver 50 years ago? Its same logic..

when there were more and more safety measures made mandatory for cars and rules on how to drive safely, I bet there were the same people ranting "just because there are a few bad drivers, we have to deal with this crap? OUTRAGEOUS!"
Do you have any actual suggestions to take on this problem or do you just want to score petty points?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2023-05-28, 23:35:

This was implemented because a previous user had a tantrum and started adding inappropriate content to his old posts. So yes it's a shame that a forum needs these sorts of protections, but some people are childish morons.

Jade Falcon and his animated gif! 🤣

Luckily I'm not squeamish, but yes, it's annoying as hell.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-05-29, 12:48:

Luckily I'm not squeamish, but yes, it's annoying as hell.

😂 yes it gave me a good laugh but I'm glad I didn't open his PM while I was at work! What a loser.

Reply 11 of 13, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are lucky you can edit posts at all, editing posts to win an argument is one the oldest trolling tools on forums.
If you are worried about your bad grammar and typos (shouldn't, nobody cares) then type your post in a word document first, spellcheck it THEN copypaste it here.
Editing a post once is usually okay but editing one like every 5 minutes is suspicious as hell and I instantly think that the poster wants to manipulate his posts like reddit drama queen trolls do.
I'd just eliminate editing completely, if you want to correct something then post a correction and that's that. I hate when I see an edited post that says "deleted/nevermind/0" and you are left wondering what the original post was.

Reply 12 of 13, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mandrew wrote on 2023-05-30, 04:37:

You are lucky you can edit posts at all, editing posts to win an argument is one the oldest trolling tools on forums.

yes, true. a small minority do spoil it for the many. when a forum is not a charged service and the moderators are volunteers there should be no demand that they spend all their free time on fine tuned edits, a troll will always outpace moderators - destruction is easier than construction.

a shame for everyone else though, but not a huge deal imo - as a last resort if you've stated a wrong fact in a forum and feel it should be corrected, then reply to own post

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-05-29, 12:48:

i searched the forums and found this poster and some rage quit examples around an old ebay thread (one of those "i quit, this forum is dead" posts, followed by random postings and eventual trailing off)

a general observation on hobby forum drama - it is often, oddly enough, when the stakes are at their lowest and the differences are of the least importance that the intensity of drama can reach its peak!

Reply 13 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote on 2023-05-29, 10:29:
I got this "error" a few edits - and in other threads! Im used to edit post a lot, because of mistyping, bad English.. also peo […]
Show full quote

Other use case:

I don't suffer from dyslexia and English is my first language so have no excuses but if you look at some of my earliest posts especially you'll find plenty of spelling and grammar mistakes.
Proof read, hit preview and proof read again is my approach, sometimes I still make really bad mistakes and will edit but for the most part once it's up it's up. especially if someone has posted after me.
it always seems a bit suspicions if the last edit time is later then the next post, What did the one before remove?

I also had to change the links to my pictures when postimages changed from .cc to org. Typically I create a post per build, these were the only links I updated, and mostly for myself when it comes down to it.

As for the compatibility testing, why not save your results till end of the day and submit in one go? Nothing here is so important it needs up to the hour updates.

In the end I prefer forums to places like discord as it's all publicly available but it's also a snap shot in time. Plus I see myself as a guest here. I pay nothing, I don't give any of my time in the upkeep, so will obey the rules set by those that do even if I don't agree with them.