VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is an actual full size ssi-eeb (or even -teb maybe)? 12" tall lime regular atx, but 13" wide (instead of the atx 9.6")?

I ask because I want to commiserate with your search for an adequate case. I have actually found 2 a few years ago at reasonable cost. But there always seems.to be a hitch.

I'll elaborate further if this thread gets any relevant hits.

Reply 2 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These boards are usually painful to cable manage, because all or nearly all maintenance holes are blocked by motherboard PCB.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, 12" by 13". Got several in period correct cases, all big tower ones. Some I've left out the lower hard drive cages just to have easier access to the mainboard.
Indeed cable management can be a hassle.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 12, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This wasn't specifically intended to be a vintage thread. But whatever. My first serverboard was an Intel dual socker 771. I foumd a Thermaltake F51 Suppressor Window, very cool case, under 70$ new shipped. Problem was 1 of the hard drive tower retaining thumb screws had to be removed for the board to be omitted. Not a huge issue, the screw could be replaced with a normal screw. 5 1/4" devices could coexist with an eeb board. Very convenient. I sold all the guts to that, still have the case, plan to put a monster Intel quad 2011 v3 board in it. Yes I will need to mod the case.

I also picked up a Rosewill Gungnir X, which is not as big as the f51, but eeb boards drop right in! Only issue is, at least with some boards, you can't slide a dvd drive all the way in. Bummer. Still a nice case though:

20230617_183815.jpg
Filename
20230617_183815.jpg
File size
823.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 12, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup I got one, an Asus Rampage IV Extreme.. Housed in a Lian-Li PC-V1200Plus.

Used to be my main PC up until I got a new laptop for work..

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I have a ProLiant ML350 G4p mobo which is exactly 12x13 inches. I am using it as my backup server with eight hard drives on a RAID card. I had to move it out of its original case to get that many drives into it. It fits nicely in one of my original CoolerMaster Stacker cases, however I was unable to use the SATA drive enclosures I wanted because they're too 'deep' and hit the board when inserted in the 5.25" bays. I had to find alternative, shallower enclosures, which was annoying as it was an unexpected expense.

ETA: I also have one of these cases, but have not yet tried putting such a large board in it, so cannot verify that it fits without issue: http://www.thermaltake.co.nz/product/Chassis/ … /va9000bws.html

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 12, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2023-06-17, 22:55:

Yup I got one, an Asus Rampage IV Extreme.. Housed in a Lian-Li PC-V1200Plus.

Used to be my main PC up until I got a new laptop for work..

I have a rampage IV black edition but it's only around 10.7 inches wide. It was gifted to me inside a huge Corsair 800D tower.

Reply 8 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-06-17, 18:57:

These boards are usually painful to cable manage, because all or nearly all maintenance holes are blocked by motherboard PCB.

By "cable management" you mean the current fad of "let's hide all the cables as much as possible, making it harder to do any actual maintenance"?

Reply 9 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By "cable management" I mean "let's hide cables to not obstruct airflow as much as reasonably possible", which was also adopted in workstations years ago.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 12, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Supermicro X10DRi-T with two Xeons inside an old Inwin Q500 case. 24 cores of pure power (and I don't need a heater in winter 😁 ).

I needed to drill a few more holes for the motherboard standoffs, otherwise, it's perfectly fine.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"