Common searches

Apple Silicon computer SSD

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, Apple should at least use a 1tb SSD in the Base model mac. They are so inexpensive today.
Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by getting their customer base frustrated with the Mac value.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2023-07-11, 15:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 58, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-07-11, 12:31:

Yeah, Apple should at least use a 1tb SSD in the Base model mac. They are so inexpensive to day.
Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by getting their customer base frustrated with the Mac value.

The cheap ones, yes. They cost less than 50€.
The industrial type with SLC costs about 300€.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 44 of 58, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-07-08, 17:30:

Yes, this appears to be the difference between Intel based Macs and Apple Silicon Macs.
Intel based Macs have replaceable components ( Repairable )
Apple Silicon Macs have an “ALL soldered on components” ( Disposable ) ( Non-replaceable components ) like a laptop motherboard.

No. Stop spreading fake info. All Intel macbooks since 2017 have come with soldered SSDs and ram.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 45 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Must be horror having an Apple Silicon Mac NOT knowing when the SSD will fail or some other components.
In which you can never recover from a Broken logic board

If you there was an external USB-C SSD in a Mirror configuration that would be ideal for putting your home accounts on and storage.

Reply 46 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The MORE I THINK about it I get Upset. These MODERN Day Macs are NOTHING BUT a HEADACHE.
An EXPENSIVE HEADACHE.

Not Worth my time.

It helps me better understand my own PC setup and how to make it more reliable, faster, and resilient for Half the Cost of the Mac.

The Mac Best Value computer is DEAD. Its a Disposable device now like a Credit card reader.

I have to Credit Steve Jobs words “Build the Best Computer and Don’t Settle for Anything less”.

Reply 47 of 58, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-06-28, 12:07:

Linux has no good video editors ? Kdenlive is perhaps not my favourite cup of tea. But the last music video I made for a friend. Was made with Kdenlive, and Kdenlive is good. OpenShot is another great video editor for Linux. And if I am not mistaken, both editors are open source. Perhaps I have been in "Open Source Land" for way too long, but some of the driver uploads I did, before the site vogonsdrivers came about. There I used Linux for uploading, and it still kicks arse, in comparison to uploading with Windows. Anyway I am not going to any of the other stuff right now. But anyway those were my two cents about video editors on Linux .

Okay, but what about photo editors? Are there any good Linux photo editors besides GIMP? I'm used to Paint.NET on Windows (which is unfortunately labeled "Garbage" by the Wine Compatibility DB) and Pixelmator on macOS.

Reply 48 of 58, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2023-07-31, 02:36:

Linux has no good video editors ? Kdenlive is perhaps not my favourite cup of tea. But the last music video I made for a friend. Was made with Kdenlive, and Kdenlive is good. OpenShot is another great video editor for Linux. And if I am not mistaken, both editors are open source. Perhaps I have been in "Open Source Land" for way too long, but some of the driver uploads I did, before the site vogonsdrivers came about. There I used Linux for uploading, and it still kicks arse, in comparison to uploading with Windows. Anyway I am not going to any of the other stuff right now. But anyway those were my two cents about video editors on Linux .

Okay, but what about photo editors? Are there any good Linux photo editors besides GIMP? I'm used to Paint.NET on Windows (which is unfortunately labeled "Garbage" by the Wine Compatibility DB) and Pixelmator on macOS.

I haven´t played around with photo editors a lot, because when I take pictures. I do not do re-touches. But I take a lot of pictures instead. But could darktable , be a good alternative ?

https://www.darktable.org/

But if you mean a good photoshop alternative, well . Then I am out of ideas.

Reply 50 of 58, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-07-31, 10:28:
I haven´t played around with photo editors a lot, because when I take pictures. I do not do re-touches. But I take a lot of pict […]
Show full quote
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2023-07-31, 02:36:

I haven´t played around with photo editors a lot, because when I take pictures. I do not do re-touches. But I take a lot of pictures instead. But could darktable , be a good alternative ?

https://www.darktable.org/

But if you mean a good photoshop alternative, well . Then I am out of ideas.

Look up Affinity Photo by Serif:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Was originally only for MAC, but then moved to supporting Windows a few years ago.
It is the only program I have been using to develop my photos.
They also have a few other programs (Designer and Publisher). The whole Suite is on a last day of the summer sale right now. $53 for Photo or $124 for the whole Suite
One time payment for each major version.

They also have full featured 30 day trial versions so you can actually try before you buy.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 51 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have to spend $7000 and buy the “New M2 Mac Pro” in order to get a NEW Mac with replaceable $30 SSD.

What am I missing here ?

Thats just CRAZY !……

Why would Apple put a replaceable SSD in the Mac Pro but NOT in all other Macs ?…….

This is the ONE component on the Macs that Everyone knows is going to fail in a few years.

The Manufactures of the SSD chips only warranty the life span of the chips in TBW ( Terra byte writes ).
So they have a know limited life span before they fail.
These components are engineered to Fail.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2023-09-15, 12:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 53 of 58, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's still a proprietary SSD from what little I've seen. There was another model of Mac (I think it was the Studio) that had an SSD card, but it was just raw NAND. The controller was integrated into the M1 and M2 chips (their excuse for that was reduced latency, but NVMe is pretty fast already).

Just like Windows, there is some software that has no real Linux equivalent, so it's difficult to switch once you've used the OS long enough. I don't like that people are stuck with a big corporation's stupid decisions because of software support. Apple Silicon has really impressive performance (but not for the reasons the tech press claims - you aren't going to gain that much performance by just soldering the RAM directly on the chip package like Linus Tech Tips once said), so at least it has that going for it.

ratfink wrote on 2023-09-16, 18:25:

Are you simply supposed to use a Mac as a content access/processing device, with everything backed up into your icloud account.

That's how you're supposed to use Windows (all of your files in OneDrive), so it isn't much different (except that maybe iCloud actually works - I've never used it, so I don't know). You're limited by your Internet speed, which these corporations don't seem to understand.

Reply 54 of 58, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2023-09-16, 20:52:

That's how you're supposed to use Windows (all of your files in OneDrive), so it isn't much different (except that maybe iCloud actually works - I've never used it, so I don't know). You're limited by your Internet speed, which these corporations don't seem to understand.

Yeah, that's how it is at work, I just find it hard to do at home - they're my files and I don't trust Microsoft cloud storage to not have issues one day...

Stuff on my ipad is less important, so I use icloud though that's partly because I can't understand what icloud is doing and it seems easier just to give up and pay £1 per month and let them get on with it. It just works, after all...

Reply 55 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, This is a Serious Situation. Whether you own a PC or Mac especially a laptop or notebook or tablet.

BACK UP Your IMPORTANT DATA before your SSD Dies !…..

This Brings back Nightmares of the Western Digital MyCloud NAS Drive Failures.
These things All Started Dying at Once because Western Digital used Cheap components and Drives.
People thought their Data was Safe on the WD MyCloud NAS drives until they began to Die.
Many People lost all their files, Docs, photos, home movies, etc.

You can use services like iCloud, Google Drive, Microsoft Cloud Storage, etc.
These services are inexpensive and the Best Way to Back up your Important Data.

I also use USB External drives for backing up my Data.

Build a reliable Home network NAS Storage computer for backing up your data too.

I used an HP z440 with 8 large capacity NAS grade hard drives as a home network NAS computer.
( 8 x 20tb = 160 terabytes )

Link to My $350 NAS Build:
Re: What modern activity did you get up to today?

If you have the MONEY build one of these:
Link :
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uO6DMWHK_HA&si=nMqsViOLnlj9t2uE

Reply 56 of 58, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should always have backups, no matter what kind of computer or storage you have. Also, it isn't a backup unless you have multiple copies on different storage devices, including removable storage that is physically disconnected when it isn't being used (in case you get hit with ransomware). Only keeping a single copy on a NAS and nowhere else is not a backup.

ratfink wrote on 2023-09-17, 09:53:

I don't trust Microsoft cloud storage to not have issues one day...

OneDrive is already broken today. My coworkers and I keep running into error 0x80071129 ("the tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid"). Running chkdsk /f on drive C will make it temporarily go away, but some computers won't let Chkdsk run on startup for some reason (they display the "press any key to skip disk checking" countdown and then go straight to the Windows login screen without even creating a log). I've also found one file that was several months out-of-date in the cloud, but the date it was modified matched the local file on the computer that created it. I don't know how many more files didn't get synced properly, but I'm sure I'll find them some day.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a discussion about Apple, not Microsoft. Basically, don't trust any storage devices.

Reply 57 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many Laptop manufactures are using Soldered on SSD’s now so this situation applies to many computer owners not just Apple Silicon.

“Backup your important data before your SSD Dies.”

Reply 58 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be Nice if Apple computer would display a warning when the SSD get down to 90% of its useful life span.
This will give users time to backup their Data before the computer dies.