VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The house I am now living in has a garden at both the front and back, well,, I say 'garden', but they both mainly consist of stone flags, with parts on the sides that are just soil. And there are a lot of weeds growing between the flags and also of course growing in the open soil parts, and also some long, thick grass that isn't really grass but looks like it (only thicker, and about a foot high). There might be non-weed plants too, but whatever, I want to get rid of all the plant growth, then put down weed killer to prevent more growth for as long as possible.

So I was thinking that I should get a strimmer, is this the best/easiest solution for cutting down the plant-life? What should I look for in a strimmer? And what sort of weed killer should I get (one thing, it MUST be pet friendly, as I have a dog and cat).

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 1 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a sheep, or a goat, or both. 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know of any pet-friendly herbicide, do they even exist? And what does pet friendly mean, they can lick it for example? I doubt.
Roundup is commonly used, spraying 4 times/year controls unwanted vegetation. But although I haven't seen anything dead yet and after a day it's safe to use the area, I don't consider it pet-friendly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)

Which leads to another suggestion, in case you don't find a herbicide to suit your needs: ground cover cloth/landscape fabric (I don't know exactly what they are called in English but a google search with these terms will make it obvious). Then if you like it you can also throw a piece of synthetic/artificial grass on top of it and have a big aesthetic upgrade.

weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-17, 17:51:

Get a sheep, or a goat, or both. 😀

User name grants an honorable first reply to the thread 😁

Reply 3 of 8, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything with glyphosate will do. I also mix in a liter of 20% vinegar because there are a few weeds out there highly resistant to glyphosate even in higher concentration. Also apply in the middle of the heatwave so it will massacre every living thing within a day and lasts maybe a month before you need to do it again.
Pet friendliness doesn't really matter here because pets would literally need to drink a bottle of the stuff to get affected, rolling in glyphosated grass will do nothing. It has very low toxicity. Also no effective alternatives to glyphosate exists that is available to the public. Vinegar in itself is useless.
I also use a AL-KO GTE 550 Premium, it's a medium power strimmer with excellent balance and low weight, the cutting line is strong and replacement is easy. Corded so you don't have to charge the battery every 20 minutes.

Reply 4 of 8, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roundup is poison, i would stay out of it, it goes also into the soil, cats and dogs eat grass sometimes.,we get food from nature, i would think twice before using roundup or similar products in my garden. Can you grow something else there, some flowers or bushes, maybe even some fruit trees?

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 5 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After trimming the weeds, you can use use natural mulch to cover the area where they used to grow. Wood chips are good for this purpose. They will prevent plant growth while placed on top of the soil. However, should you ever decide to replant something there, you can simply remove them and the soil underneath will be very fertile.

As others have mentioned, cats sometimes nibble on grass to help with digestion and expelling hair balls. They also roll on grass and then lick their fur, so poison substances are a bad choice.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find strimmers very frustrating, so I have two solutions to weeds:

1. Flamethrower - shoots a stream of paraffin across a burning wick (or something like that) - wonderful roar when it heats up and is ready to use. Be careful not to burn your shed or fences down. Sheen x300 for example.

2. Brush cutter - spinning metal triple blade that makes short work of tough weeds and even some shrubs (lol). Loud hum when it's up to speed. Some have interchangeable strimmer heads. Ryobi or whatever, lots to choose from.

Both are great fun. Keep away from pets while in use of course.

Reply 7 of 8, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this Stihl Trimmer FSA 90 R from Mowpart, and it's doing a great job, especially cutting the grass from hard-to-access places.

trimmer.jpg
Filename
trimmer.jpg
File size
26.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I got it for 890$ with a 5% discount using the code 5OFF from DontPayFull. There are a lot of deals and discounts for many other stores. You might find there more great deals and discounts that will fit your budget.

Last edited by nathanm1991 on 2023-09-21, 13:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-17, 20:19:

After trimming the weeds, you can use use natural mulch to cover the area where they used to grow. Wood chips are good for this purpose.

I second the wood chip method.

You can also use vinegar to kill weeds. It is pretty effective. You can buy it in 3 liter cans made for weeds, I also use it to clean electronics.